The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 02-28-2020, 06:21 PM
EvanB EvanB is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 3,444
Default Thalia capo

The rest of you may have already been here before, but the Thalie is new to me.

Today, down at the Tree Bar, Joe, an Emerald owner, showed me Thalia capos on his iphone. I had never heard of them but was stunned by how closely they follow Emerald's woodies. Joe says he can get a capo that exactly matches his woody bass. I don't know how they are as a capo, but they are sure cool as a look.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-28-2020, 06:32 PM
jayhawk jayhawk is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Lost in Oregon
Posts: 1,563
Default

They are terrific as a capo. You can easily use it with one hand

They are expensive (in my opinion) but I wouldnt give mine up.

Jack
__________________
The Princess looked at her more closely. "Tell me," she resumed, "are you of royal blood?"
"Better than that, ma'am," said Dorothy. "I came from Kansas."
--Ozma of Oz, by Frank L. Baum, 1907


1975 Mossman Great
1995 Taylor LKSM-12
2008 Taylor Fall Ltd GC
2008 Applegate C Nylon Crossover
Fender Stratocaster - Eric Johnson Model
Nyberg Cittern
2011 Eastman AC508M
2012 Epiphone ES339
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-29-2020, 12:05 AM
Dbone Dbone is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 1,321
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
The rest of you may have already been here before, but the Thalie is new to me.

Today, down at the Tree Bar, Joe, an Emerald owner, showed me Thalia capos on his iphone. I had never heard of them but was stunned by how closely they follow Emerald's woodies. Joe says he can get a capo that exactly matches his woody bass. I don't know how they are as a capo, but they are sure cool as a look.
They have radius-specific fittings. As far as fit they dont get much better in theory. It doesnt hurt that they are nice to look at, but in function alone they are amazing. I have 2. They have a high quality feel to them.

Their radius guide >

https://www.thaliacapos.com/pages/fr...tar-make-model
__________________
2020 Yamaha LL56 Custom
2020 RainSong CO-WS1000N2
2020 Furch Red Deluxe GC-SR (en route)
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-29-2020, 08:13 AM
Danz567 Danz567 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Winnipeg, Canada
Posts: 84
Default

Ive been using a Thalia Capo with my X20 and I love it. Looks and works great.
__________________
Emerald X20
Martin D18
Ovation Celebrity cc11
Fender Ukelele
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-29-2020, 08:59 AM
EvanB EvanB is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 3,444
Default

Have any of you matched the capo wood to the Emerald veneers? If so I would appreciate some pictures.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-29-2020, 10:13 AM
Tf Tf is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 94
Default

Thalia capos look cool but they are really heavy.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-29-2020, 10:21 AM
stokes1971 stokes1971 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Posts: 30
Default

I've got 2 of them.I like them a lot,easy to use,work great with the radiused inserts.Kind of expensive,but worth it in my opinion.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-29-2020, 04:02 PM
Methos1979's Avatar
Methos1979 Methos1979 is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Seacoast, NH
Posts: 4,644
Default

I had one of the earliest models. It literally fell apart in my hands after a few uses. Thalia was excellent in their customer service and offered me a replacement or a refund. I chose refund as I did not find the capo overall to be something I enjoyed using due to the size and weight.
__________________
-------------------------------------------------------------

Methos1979: Every guitar-related review I've written on AGF!

NO1U Know - our official acoustic duo website
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-29-2020, 07:12 PM
Dbone Dbone is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 1,321
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
I had one of the earliest models. It literally fell apart in my hands after a few uses. Thalia was excellent in their customer service and offered me a replacement or a refund. I chose refund as I did not find the capo overall to be something I enjoyed using due to the size and weight.
Yeah, they have moved past those early issues as far as I am aware.
__________________
2020 Yamaha LL56 Custom
2020 RainSong CO-WS1000N2
2020 Furch Red Deluxe GC-SR (en route)
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-01-2020, 06:12 PM
EvanB EvanB is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 3,444
Default

No one has a Thalia with a veneer matching the guitar? I want some pictures!
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 03-01-2020, 07:23 PM
jwellsy jwellsy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 659
Default

Quote:
No one has a Thalia with a veneer matching the guitar? I want some pictures!
Want a little guitar pron with a Thalia?
__________________
-------------------------------
Emerald Green Wing, Multi Scale Length X10
Emerald Ruby Cross, Multi Scale Length X30
Breedlove Blond Jumbo
Yamaha Silent Steel String
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 03-01-2020, 09:40 PM
tdq tdq is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 1,277
Default

I have a Thalia capo (a Xmas present) and have to say I'm not a fan, although I do use it - I find them quite bulky. I spent ages trying out all the rubbers, and now it lives on my 12-string, although it is the 6-string version.
__________________
National Resophonic NRP 12 Fret
Loar LH-700-VS Archtop
Herrmann Weissenborn
Recording King RP-10
Maton 425 12-string
Stella Tenor
ESP 400 series telecaster
My Youtube
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 03-02-2020, 01:11 AM
ac ac is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,657
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdq View Post
I have a Thalia capo (a Xmas present) and have to say I'm not a fan, although I do use it - I find them quite bulky. I spent ages trying out all the rubbers, and now it lives on my 12-string, although it is the 6-string version.
There was the original Thalia that began as a Kickstarter project. If you have one of those, they were difficult to use.

They were extremely tight on the guitar and hard to squeeze open. Spring tensions were not consistent capo to capo.

So the capo was redesigned so the hand pressure needed was far less and especially, for the springs, a device was designed to pretest the tension of every spring so they were within specs and consistent before being assembled. Different spring sources were sought out as well, etc., as I recall.

I have both the original and the current version and there is a world of difference, even though outwardly they look identical. It's a polished product now.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 03-02-2020, 08:34 AM
EvanB EvanB is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 3,444
Default

Jwellsy;

Thank you for the picture--looks like date night though the sand clock and ax are kind of spooky.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 03-02-2020, 09:48 PM
tdq tdq is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 1,277
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac View Post
There was the original Thalia that began as a Kickstarter project. If you have one of those, they were difficult to use.

They were extremely tight on the guitar and hard to squeeze open. Spring tensions were not consistent capo to capo.

So the capo was redesigned so the hand pressure needed was far less and especially, for the springs, a device was designed to pretest the tension of every spring so they were within specs and consistent before being assembled. Different spring sources were sought out as well, etc., as I recall.

I have both the original and the current version and there is a world of difference, even though outwardly they look identical. It's a polished product now.
Its definitely one of the newer ones, but just isn't for me I guess. My favourite tbh is my paige which lives behind the headstock. Never gets lost or "borrowed" by my daughter. I find the keyser the easiest to use but it does suffer from the aforementioned borrowing.
__________________
National Resophonic NRP 12 Fret
Loar LH-700-VS Archtop
Herrmann Weissenborn
Recording King RP-10
Maton 425 12-string
Stella Tenor
ESP 400 series telecaster
My Youtube
Reply With Quote
Reply

  The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Thread Tools



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:23 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, The Acoustic Guitar Forum
vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=