The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 08-20-2017, 02:18 PM

Default Tonewood Amp

Hey everyone!

Anyone have any experience with the tonewood amp. Reviews look positive and sound is pretty cool! Anyone use it?

I'm thinking of using it in a worship team setting.
Old 08-20-2017, 02:48 PM

I love it! I know there are a lot of to players who are endorse TWA and there will be skeptics, but the demos speak for themselves.

If you are looking for a strong delay where you can hear hard digital I/O , or something that would behave like a TC Flashback and with that level of tweakability, you might be disappointed. It also has a leslie tremelo effect, a wah, and some distortion but I don't find those setting very useful if I'm being honest (but it could just be me being picky too).

However, where the unit really shines is the reverb settings. The reverbs are not Strymon Blue Sky mind-blowing but are very nice. Lush and very analog sounding and, since it uses your guitar as the output mechanism, it sounds like....well, your guitar!

It does have a line out but I have not used it for that yet. Videos on YT sound pretty good though. I look forward to trying it out in that setting.

Old 08-20-2017, 05:20 PM

I loved the sounds I got out of mine, but didn't like not being able to switch off/on effects on the fly very easily. I ultamitely sold it and will be going back to pedal Reverb/Delay.

Acoustically though it was a lot of fun for jamming with my friends.
Old 08-20-2017, 05:28 PM
Charter Member

Another user who had fun with it for a while but ultimately sold it. A little too heavy and finicky since the only effect I ended up using was light reverb. I wish they made a much smaller, lighter and simpler unit that just did reverb for less money. Maybe even something that could be semi-permanently mounted inside the guitar somehow rather than on the back. I would be all over that!
Old 08-20-2017, 07:33 PM

dogdog - you make a good point with the smaller and simpler unit that could be mounted inside. I would second that idea but might want echo & reverb or better yet echo + reverb combined as well. I don't need or want the Auto-Wah or the Overdrive either. Seems kind of silly for an acoustic. Size probably has something to do with volume though I would think. I gave this serious consideration but ultimately the fact that there was no way to plug this into AC was what killed it for me. The cost of batteries in this could add up to a pretty large sum over time. I think this was a major oversight on their part. If I'm missing something here then someone let me know.

Update: I did some more research and found out that high capacity rechargeable batteries can be used so the Tonewood amp is back up for consideration.

FYI - The type of pickup used plays an important role in how these sound so I would suggest perusing their website before making a decision.

Here is a good review of the Tonewood Amp on Youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eu1kh_FaKH0

Last edited by ToneHunter; 08-21-2017 at 06:55 AM.
Old 08-21-2017, 08:29 AM
Charter Member

It's a neat effect but ultimately for me once the cool factor wore off I found I didn't use it much. I had a really hard time taming feedback and the only way to do it was to reduce the volume to where the effect was no prominent enough to be heard really well. It also ate batteries something fierce. I traded it off for an LR Baggs M80 soundhole pickup.
Old 08-21-2017, 11:53 AM

I'm running a k&k pure mini. It does say it's ok in the website but it's not magnetic...
Old 08-21-2017, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowfox View Post
I'm running a k&k pure mini. It does say it's ok in the website but it's not magnetic...
And so your point is???
Old 08-21-2017, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowfox View Post
Hey everyone!

Anyone have any experience with the tonewood amp. Reviews look positive and sound is pretty cool! Anyone use it?

I'm thinking of using it in a worship team setting.
I've never really bonded with mine, need to renew the FS CL ad.

The K&K in my Rainsong give it plenty of signal.
Old 08-21-2017, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLS View Post
I've never really bonded with mine, need to renew the FS CL ad.

The K&K in my Rainsong give it plenty of signal.

I'd be interested! Depending on price.
Old 08-21-2017, 06:43 PM

The K&K works great!

Here is a sample of the plate reverb; the signal chain is a RainSong Shorty equipped with a K&K and then trough the TWA. I'm using a Zoom H2n for recording

Old 08-21-2017, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
The K&K works great!

Here is a sample of the plate reverb; the signal chain is a RainSong Shorty equipped with a K&K and then trough the TWA. I'm using a Zoom H2n for recording

That is awesome!
Old 08-25-2017, 02:34 PM

I have ordered a Tonewood Amp which I'm eagerly waiting for. I'm a bit worried that the size might prevent me from using it though, it looks as it might be in the way... although I have seen most users state it's not.

When it comes to combination of effects etc, if I'm not wrong it has been stated that there will be software updates, downloadable to the unit over USB, so hopefully we will see plenty of new cool effect combinations. And regarding one comment questioning the need for overdrive, that's the primary reason I'm buying it... I have a lot of own songs where I like a small abount of overdrive.

I guess we will see the Tonewood Amp directly built-in to guitars in the future as well, I bet they are already talking to guitar companies about this. And maybe some collab with Fishman as well?!?

Cheers
/Per
Old 09-18-2018, 09:38 AM

Unhappy

No doubt there is a significant WOW factor. This is a unique and revolutionary product and concept. Kudos to the designers and manufacturers for developing and bringing the TWA to market.

However I have to say overall I'm disappointed and will probably sell it. The effects aren't that good and make good guitars (MartinD21 and Taylor 914) sound tinny and metallic. Feedback is also an issue.

As also noted, you can't easily change or modify an effect in the middle of a song.

I suspect that future generations of the product will improve. One would hope that a firmware update would be possible.
Old 09-19-2018, 06:25 AM

I've had mine for a couple weeks now. I also bought the batteries and charger as recommended by others.
I love this thing! im 65 and play on my porch by myself. every time I play, I learn something new.
This is a great thing to make me practice more. my wife says it sounds like my talent has increased I have the magnets installed in my Taylor 514 and my Taylor 150 twelve string. the jury is no out yet on the 12 string, but loving it on the 6 string!
watch all the tutorials on the website. Turn down the master gain 1st thing, just like the videos say.

don't buy it without the batteries and charger (on amazon). 2 to 4 days is all i'm getting.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification