The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-17-2020, 07:51 AM

Default String noise relation to pickup type?

Has anybody done a string noise kind of "chart" based on pickup types? If so, I'd like to know which types are less prone to that dreadful string noise when amplified.

I'm asking because I currently have a Seymour Duncan soudhole humbucker and a Shatten HFN (tape mount) in my 000-28 (w/Martin Authentic PBs). Both pickups are passive. The string noise from the HFN is far, far more pronounced that the SD and so bad it makes me want to rip it out.

Thoughts? Experiences? Cures?
Old 02-17-2020, 08:06 AM
AGF Sponsor

I wish there was such a thing as a chart but I doubt there is because there are too many variables. Yes, some pick-ups amplify way too much pick and string noise. Perhaps try different pick materials or adjust your technique a bit?

I have used just about all the acoustic guitar pick-ups out there, both passive and active, and my favorite continues to be the K&K, used with a Red Eye pre-amp. For me anyway, very little string or pick noise. Pick and string noise is an unwanted byproduct of hyper-sensitive high-end pick-ups, in my experience. You could also reduce it a bit with a good equalizer. But then you might also lose some of the tonality that attracted you to the guitar and the pick-up in the first place.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification