The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 08-15-2018, 06:05 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesKing777 View Post
A quick question for Eric and other M80’ites......

I have done some work on the M80 and my Blues King, didn’t want to give up yet. I moved the pole pieces down a lot to stop the strings touching the pickup and now I love the sound.....except..... the 1st string is just a whisker too loud. I have read somewhere that some people have taken the 1st pole piece totally out as well as the 2nd. Is this right?

I have run it to my Fish Pro EQ to my Boss VE8 and it ready to rock, baby! Except for that string. Always somethin, eh?

BluesKing777.
* Yo BK, yes go ahead and remove the 1st/high E pole and see if that works....I tried that at one time but had to put it back in because then the B was louder. So I set the E till was balanced with the B, then adjusted the rest. My high E pole is about halfway up from the bottom of it's cylinder.

** The Pro should help tame that mid honk between 700 and 2k...I'm lovin' my Baggs Align EQ, such a complimentary difference maker!
Old 08-15-2018, 06:34 AM

Thanks Eric!

I want to get it sorted because I am going to a friend’s house in the near future.....he also has a Blues King, and he has the bigger band type version of m A&H mixer with a couple of large powered JBLs. Plus, he just bought an AER 60 amp....

BluesKing777.
Old 08-15-2018, 03:04 PM

I've done the same with mine. I removed the e string
compleatly and cranked the b down as far as it will
go. Also cranked the g down as it picks up the b as well .
especially when bending the b.
Old 08-15-2018, 09:12 PM

The deed is done - I removed the 1st string pole, there was none in the 2nd as from the factory.

I like it! I have the others down low to get more ‘wood’ and I really like that sound (eq’d through Pro-EQ).

It is a little bit soft, 1 string, but easier for me to adjust to than the thing too loud! Also depends what chords you play.....

BluesKing777.
Old 08-18-2018, 07:13 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesKing777 View Post
The deed is done - I removed the 1st string pole, there was none in the 2nd as from the factory.

I like it! I have the others down low to get more ‘wood’ and I really like that sound (eq’d through Pro-EQ).

It is a little bit soft, 1 string, but easier for me to adjust to than the thing too loud! Also depends what chords you play.....

BluesKing777.
Glad you got it sorted out BK....once you find the guitar that is your best match for the M80, then maybe you can keep it in that one on a more semi-permanent basis and tweak it that much more.
Old 02-14-2020, 05:38 AM

Hi everyone, hi Eric, resurrecting this post for some advice.
would it be possible to know the frequency of the mid pot of the Loudbox and how much is the fixed db cut of the Align's notch?
I'm about to put M80 in my 2016 D18 and I'd like to get the stellar sound Im hearing in this post
thanks everyone for the help
Luca
Old 02-14-2020, 12:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muttley View Post
Hi everyone, hi Eric, resurrecting this post for some advice.
would it be possible to know the frequency of the mid pot of the Loudbox and how much is the fixed db cut of the Align's notch?
I'm about to put M80 in my 2016 D18 and I'd like to get the stellar sound Im hearing in this post
thanks everyone for the help
Luca
Hi Muttley,

See my post #6 with pics in this thread, they show my Loudbox EQ & settings on the Align as well as the placement of the M80 in my D18 too. Maybe it will help, and thank you for the kind comment!

eric

Last edited by noledog; 02-14-2020 at 12:48 PM.
Old 02-14-2020, 04:29 PM

Ah great stuff as usual Eric.
Ive been useing the m80 for about
4 yrs now. i love it. Really works for me.
recently bought a schertler magnito with
the s1 mic. ( always tweaking) But it will
really have to do well at a loud gig to
beat the m80..great video...thanks
Old 02-14-2020, 11:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by varmonter View Post
Ah great stuff as usual Eric.
Ive been useing the m80 for about
4 yrs now. i love it. Really works for me.
recently bought a schertler magnito with
the s1 mic. ( always tweaking) But it will
really have to do well at a loud gig to
beat the m80..great video...thanks
Cheers and thank you mate!
Old 05-01-2021, 02:02 PM
Charter Member

Eric, I just viewed this video for the first time and it's very informative. Maybe my ears deceive me but based on your video your Martin D-18 sounds really good with the LR Baggs M80 and as good as any piezo-based pickup system I've heard for live performance. Given any magnetic-toned qualities it has, and they're not at all that audible, they're easily dismissed for the M80's overall amplified tone. Thanks For Doing This Video!
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 05-01-2021, 03:05 PM
Charter Member

Great demo noledog! Also very helpful with showing your settings and mag tips. Thnx!
Ive been gigging with my Baggs M1a into a Loudbox Artist and more recently, the Bose S1. Im always looking for ways to improve my tone and will be checking into the Align eq. Thnx again.

Last edited by jricc; 05-01-2021 at 03:54 PM.
Old 05-06-2021, 12:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
Eric, I just viewed this video for the first time and it's very informative. Maybe my ears deceive me but based on your video your Martin D-18 sounds really good with the LR Baggs M80 and as good as any piezo-based pickup system I've heard for live performance. Given any magnetic-toned qualities it has, and they're not at all that audible, they're easily dismissed for the M80's overall amplified tone. Thanks For Doing This Video!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jricc View Post
Great demo noledog! Also very helpful with showing your settings and mag tips. Thnx!
Ive been gigging with my Baggs M1a into a Loudbox Artist and more recently, the Bose S1. Im always looking for ways to improve my tone and will be checking into the Align eq. Thnx again.
* Thank you gentlemen for the kind words and I'm glad the video was informative... I found the M80 to be particularly nice for fingerstyle and a good match for the D18. Since I play a lot of reggae style with light percussive technique, the body sense aspect of the M80 is wonderful. However, that very same aspect lends itself to some EQ and feedback issues with such a large cavity in a dreadnought just as a mic would; so you have to do some tweaking and EQing to solve those issues.

* Since I play for a living, the shutdown caused me to have to sell gear for $$$ and my M80 was one of those pieces of gear. Since the early re-open here in Florida things have been wonderful for musicians, so I decided to get another mag for my D-18, tho I did not want to spend that much on another M80. So I took a chance on the DeArmond Tone Boss, which looks similar to the M80, but sounds much different. It is passive thus no battery, though it does have a volume control and plenty of signal to send to the amp. It has no body sensing, so it loses that lovely percussive aspect. However, this is the least magnetic sounding mag pickup I've tried. I was very surprised and not expecting much, but this Tone Boss sounded sweet from the start and required no special tweaking other then simple EQ and adjustable pole adjustments for balance. Both great mags!!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification