The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Closed Thread

Old 10-27-2011, 07:22 AM
Charter Member

here is a real quick video. sorry for the bad playing. just straight through camcorder so audio isn't the greatest. but gives you the idea. also i think I said between E and A string for the mic. of course I meant B
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqmfdVBcXpI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Boy View Post
Eric, Every now and then one of us on the AGF truly finds his or her holy grail. The rest of continue to search. It really seems to me that you have found your holy grail guitar.
Billy Boy, I think you might be right, this just might be the holy grail for me! But I think it might be for others as well. You guys really have to try out some of his work!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Watts View Post
That's just insane... the thing's a week old...
only a week old! can you believe that? when I first played it, the bridge was on the guitar for only a few days. I can't imagine how this will sound as time goes by!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marley View Post
congrats eric! it's beautiful and your playing sounded great to me. thanks for the thread and the video. from the short videos and photos I have seen, jason looks like such a great guy.
Thanks Marley! Jason is awesome to work with. The great thing about him is that not only is he an awesome builder, but the guy is a great player as well. more on that soon!

Omega Braz MJ, 2011 Omega MJ Braz Baritone
Ryan Cathedral ABW/Bosnian
Build thread: 2011 Kostal Mod D Brazilian/German
Build thread: 2019 Kostal MDW Brazilian/German
Build thread:2019 Bigfoot Mod D

Last edited by ericcsong; 10-27-2011 at 07:29 AM.
Old 10-27-2011, 07:35 AM

Looks and sounds awesome! Congrats!! Can’t wait to see more

’11 Bashkin Belleza - GC (Cedar/Mahogany)
’89 Taylor 712
Takamine EN-50
ESP Ltd MV-200
Old 10-27-2011, 08:06 AM
Charter Member

I received some emails about this guitar already and thought I would share a response I wrote to someone:

I am definitely beyond satisfied with the sound of my Kostal. It is hands down the finest guitar I've ever played!

Before my Kostal, my Brazilian/Cedar Omega was my favorite guitar. it had the easiest playability and such a warm tone. My Ryan Cathedral had this rich and dark powerful voice. I told Jason, I want both of these in my new guitar and I want that Haunting Somogyi tone as well. I also wanted the German top to play like a cedar just like the Somogyi.

Jason did all that and more! I feel each of the guitars in this one. Everything is there! How did he do it? I don't know, but it blows my mind. He built me EXACTLY what I was asking and looking for!

Its hard to say what is my favorite sound right now because the Kostal is just one week old and my Omega is close to ten years old and my Cathedral is about 5 years old. But I would say the Kostal is my favorite at this point and as the guitar matures, it will definitely only get better!

The Kostal is a german top and it plays like a cedar. It just plays flawlessly and intonation is spot on. The guitar really has each and every part I wanted from the other guitars I played. But I think what helped is that Jason is a player and he was able to play my other guitars before building me this one. He takes time to listen and as a great player, he understands what you are looking for in that aspect.

Old 10-27-2011, 08:14 AM
Charter Member

Jason must put some switch inside.. find that!!!..

Great guitar, i am happy for you and looking at your Cedar/Braz..yam!!!

Goodall Jumbo Royal Hawaiian

Merill & Co C-41

Merill & Co OM-18
Old 10-27-2011, 08:22 AM

Eric - what an amazing thread - and what an amazing guitar. Thanks for sharing your adventure with us. I loved your video - especially your run in DADGAD. You, and the guitar, are exceptional.

I look forward to reading your thoughts in the future.

Congratulations to you and Jason and thanks again!

BK
Old 10-27-2011, 08:42 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by japple View Post
Eric, if you get a chance check out the Kraut OM blackwood guitar. I would like to hear some thoughts on that guitar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericcsong View Post
I did get to take that guitar away to a private quiet room away from all the noise and play it for while. The craftsmanship was outstanding and the guitar was beautiful. Ray was real nice and we were able to chat for but as well. Guitar was nice and I'll post a review shortly. My wife said that after I played I had this unforgettable grin on my face. I'll explain that later!
At woodstock, there were so many great guitars! Before Woodstock, there was some fear in the back of my mind. Two questions that kept coming up in my mind were "what if the the Kostal isn't as good as I want it to be" and "what if other guitars at the show are better than mine?"

For a few weeks before the show, I've been hit by the Kraut bug and how beautiful his guitars look, especially with his Michi Matsuda designs. I've also read how much bassier Krauts were to Jason's guitars.

To be fair, when thinking about this more, two guitars of Jason's at Healdsburg were a Mahogany and a Koa, both not known for bassiness like rosewood. So when I was asking Jason to build me a guitar with haunting bass, he knew what he was going to build and directed me in the right direction to a Mod-D with Braz/German.

My wife said the happiest I was at the show was after I played the Kraut. I had this smirk on my face when I stopped playing and said I made the right choice

Ray is an awesome builder and his work and craft is simply stunning. But Jason was the right match for me. I really don't think its fair to compare the two builders. Just because they come from the Somogyi camp, doesn't mean you can really compare the two. They just make different guitars.

What I do know is this. Jason is a player and he knows what players want. He actually studied guitar with Michael Hedges! I'll write more on Jason later.

As for the Blackwood Guitar as woodstock. The build was unreal. Looked phenomenal in person (even better than the pictures!) but the Kostal was the PERFECT match for me! I wanted that haunting Somogyi Bass, the playability of cedar in a spruce guitar, and a few other things and boy did Jason Kostal deliver!

Old 10-27-2011, 08:55 AM

Quote:
At woodstock, there were so many great guitars! Before Woodstock, there was some fear in the back of my mind. Two questions that kept coming up in my mind were "what if the the Kostal isn't as good as I want it to be" and "what if other guitars at the show are better than mine?"

For a few weeks before the show, I've been hit by the Kraut bug and how beautiful his guitars look, especially with his Michi Matsuda designs. I've also read how much bassier Krauts were to Jason's guitars.

To be fair, when thinking about this more, two guitars of Jason's at Healdsburg were a Mahogany and a Koa, both not known for bassiness like rosewood. So when I was asking Jason to build me a guitar with haunting bass, he knew what he was going to build and directed me in the right direction to a Mod-D with Braz/German.

My wife said the happiest I was at the show was after I played the Kraut. I had this smirk on my face when I stopped playing and said I made the right choice

Ray is an awesome builder and his work and craft is simply stunning. But Jason was the right match for me. I really don't think its fair to compare the two builders. Just because they come from the Somogyi camp, doesn't mean you can really compare the two. They just make different guitars.

What I do know is this. Jason is a player and he knows what players want. He actually studied guitar with Michael Hedges! I'll write more on Jason later.

As for the Blackwood Guitar as woodstock. The build was unreal. Looked phenomenal in person (even better than the pictures!) but the Kostal was the PERFECT match for me! I wanted that haunting Somogyi Bass, the playability of cedar in a spruce guitar, and a few other things and boy did Jason Kostal deliver!
You are right that it is not fair to compare the two Eric, I hope that I wasn't coming across like that. After meeting both of them and spending time talking to them, the advantage that both of them have is the Somogyi training, but they both took that training in there own direction. Niether one seems to be making a Somogyi guitar, they are making their own guitars with methods they learned from Mr. Somogyi.

As you touched on finding the right Luthier for you is incredibly important, and Jason was that for you. You ended with a majestic instrument, CONGRATS!
Old 10-27-2011, 09:07 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by japple View Post
You are right that it is not fair to compare the two Eric, I hope that I wasn't coming across like that.
not you sir! I've just read that comparison here and there. both make fantastic guitars!

Old 10-27-2011, 09:25 AM
Charter Member

Congratulations Eric!
That is one sweet sounding and great looking guitar! Just one more reason I'll miss being a part of those VA gatherings!

Matt
Old 10-27-2011, 09:28 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by open-road-matt View Post
Congratulations Eric!
That is one sweet sounding and great looking guitar! Just one more reason I'll miss being a part of those VA gatherings!

Matt
Matt, I just saw your case post on the avalon. hope things are well where you are! man, you thought the Cathedral sounded good? This thing Kostal is just crazy! Cathedral is back on the market!

Old 10-27-2011, 10:02 AM

Quote:
It seems like Jason can do anything from be a special ops agent in the military to build awesome guitars
Old 10-27-2011, 10:37 AM

Eric, Gus at The Guitar Shop always referred to German spruce as "white" cedar.
Old 10-27-2011, 01:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by henderson is go View Post
It seems like Jason can do anything from be a special ops agent in the military to build awesome guitars
he is pretty fun to talk to, isn't he?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dberkowitz View Post
Eric, Gus at The Guitar Shop always referred to German spruce as "white" cedar.
I can see why! but till i played a somogyi, I never felt a German topped guitar play like a cedar. Till I played my Kostal, I didn't know someone else could do it

Old 10-27-2011, 02:31 PM

Quote:
here is a real quick video. sorry for the bad playing. just straight through camcorder so audio isn't the greatest. but gives you the idea. also i think I said between E and A string for the mic. of course I meant B

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqmfdVBcXpI
Thank you Eric for the video. Your guitar sounds amazing!!!! I really enjoyed hearing a little Reunion in there. I'd love to see it hear you do the full song on your Kostal.

Well done!
Old 10-27-2011, 02:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod True View Post
Thank you Eric for the video. Your guitar sounds amazing!!!! I really enjoyed hearing a little Reunion in there. I'd love to see it hear you do the full song on your Kostal.

Well done!
and can you believe it was less than a week old in the recording? can't imagine how good it'll sound next week!

Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop