The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 02-27-2021, 02:35 AM
Charter Member

Default Aloha Doug Young & Friends. HELP!

Aloha Doug Young & Friends.

I need some help. Well, it finally happened. After 30 years, the plastic, side-mounted clip on my AKG 416 internal hyper-cardioid condenser mic finally broke. And it's too far inside my guitar for these aging, useless hands to jury-rig, repair or work on any longer.

So, I just pulled the double-stick-taped, side mount off its position, leaving me with a rather long 1/4" wide gooseneck still attached to the stereo endpin, & still functional, but no way to mount to the original plastic. I taped it into a block of rigid, black foam at the 4 o'clock position inside the soundhole in the interim.

Doug, if I recall, you used to use clips to mount a DPA 4061 inside a guitar. Looking at the various clips out there it is confusing to know what would work, what the actual size is. So my friend, which small clips (or other choice) would you recommend for the many internal mini mic's you've installed/used over the years?

BTW: I love your beautiful arrangement, playing & exceptional recording of "I Will." Outstanding, Braddah Doug!

I like very much the way the C 416L hyper-cardioid mini mic sounds (combined with a K&K mini or Dazzo's) & I hope to continue using it. If I could simply use a couple of proportional clips attached to internal braces, clip the AKG's 1/4" gooseneck to it & call it a day, I would be most happy.

Does anyone else have any ideas for easily clipping an existing internal, long 1/4" gooseneck mic inside a guitar? Please be specific if you know of any brand or kind of clip that would work for that application, & where to get it.

Thanks 'RECORD' friends. I know that I can count on you.

Mahalo a nui,
alohachris

Last edited by alohachris; 02-27-2021 at 02:56 AM.
Old 02-27-2021, 03:16 AM
Charter Member

What I've used is these:

Which I used to get from Radio Shack.

https://www.radioshack.com/products/cable-clips

It looks like they're 3/4 inch. I just wrap a little foam around the mic and then tighten the clamp.

I've since found some black ones - a little less visible, but I can't remember where I got them. Amazon has tons of them, but most seem to be bigger.
Old 02-28-2021, 09:41 AM
Charter Member

This is good to know. Ive thought about getting an internal mic, but never knew quite how to attach it to the guitar body. Very cool
Old 03-01-2021, 05:23 PM
Charter Member

Default Mahalo Doug!!!!

Aloha Doug,

Thank you for your quick response, as always, to a guitar brother in need.

The picture & suggestion of the Radio Shack sticky cable clips, although out of stock, led me to finding the correct category on Amazon. "Self-Adhesive Cable Clips." I found many cable clip choices there: different colors, swivel clips, adjustable cable diameter clips, etc. ANTON, TAKE NOTE!

I found what I was looking for & they should arrive here on Friday. Got two different kinds of clips I might need to mount my internal AKG mic in the sweet spot - both around $6 bucks for 25 pcs. Ha!

Large or small, the help you have provided me & everyone here over the decades is always HUGE, Doug! Thank you so much for being there, & being right - most of the time! (I still think that SPS-1 was a "magic box" - HA!)

Mahalo nui loa, my friend!
alohachris

PS: Doug, your recording of "I Will" is outstanding: great guitar choice, beautiful, economical playing, the best acoustic tone & recording as usual, & your fine arrangement of that Beatles classic. Thank you for that as well! Bravo! -alohachris-

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD