The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-19-2019, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shades of Blue View Post
I'm curious to see if they will get pickguards. I personally love them without pickguards.
I am actually surprised the pickguards do not come standard on these models. I personally prefer not to have one but these are great strummers and are touted as guitars you can throw a lot at. Seems like a pickguard would be smart to protect the body.

I'm going to leave one off of my 517 unless I feel like I may need it.
Preston Thompson: O Koa
Old 06-19-2019, 01:41 PM
Resident Guitar Hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalSurf View Post
I am actually surprised the pickguards do not come standard on these models. I personally prefer not to have one but these are great strummers and are touted as guitars you can throw a lot at. Seems like a pickguard would be smart to protect the body.

I'm going to leave one off of my 517 unless I feel like I may need it.
Yep...I’m with you. My 317 came with a pickguard. And I’m glad it did. Aggressive strumming is a big part of what I do and the 317 responds to it well. I’ve only had mine a couple weeks and it already has some light scratches on the pickguard...so that protection is important to me.

FOR SALE: 2023 Martin 000-15SM 12 fret w/ K&K mini

Old 06-19-2019, 01:57 PM

I'd be perfectly happy if all Taylor guitars always came with the pick guard loose in the case, for dealer installation if the customer wants it. But I am probably in the minority there. I don't need pick guards and would rather not have to bother removing them from a brand new guitar before tan lines happen.

Last edited by Earl49; 06-19-2019 at 02:03 PM.
Old 06-19-2019, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
I'd be perfectly happy if all Taylor guitars came with the pick guard loose in the case, for dealer installation if the customer wants it. But I am probably in the minority there. I don't need pick guards and would rather not have to bother removing them from a brand new guitar before tan lines happen.
For me, I like pickguards on gloss guitars. Matte or Satin finished guitars look better without to me. Just another reason I'm head over heals for these new Builder's Editions.
Old 06-19-2019, 07:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev Roy View Post
Yep...I’m with you. My 317 came with a pickguard. And I’m glad it did. Aggressive strumming is a big part of what I do and the 317 responds to it well. I’ve only had mine a couple weeks and it already has some light scratches on the pickguard...so that protection is important to me.
Same here, even though I have noticed that I scratch the guards less than I used to. Although I understand Taylors logic about showing off these beautiful tops, I personally would want a pick-guard even if it is smaller than the standard.
PRS SE P20E Parlor
Martin Backpacker
Old 06-20-2019, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MChild62 View Post
Someone commented here I think that a Taylor rep told them they had made a total of 2,000 BE's of the Grand Pacifics and that when they are gone, they are gone.
I have seen someone post this information, too. And it got me thinking that I haven't seen Taylor mention anything about this anywhere. Wouldn't a manufacturer clearly market a limited run as excactly that?

In Wood & Steel, Winter 2019 it says under "Model availability" on page 18 that "Initially our Builder's Edition Grand Pacific models (517, 717) will be sold through a limited number of authorized Taylor dealers worldwide, with broader availability coming later in the year". Not a word about them being limited...

So, what does this really mean?
Old 06-20-2019, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanAnd View Post
I have seen someone post this information, too. And it got me thinking that I haven't seen Taylor mention anything about this anywhere. Wouldn't a manufacturer clearly market a limited run as excactly that?

In Wood & Steel, Winter 2019 it says under "Model availability" on page 18 that "Initially our Builder's Edition Grand Pacific models (517, 717) will be sold through a limited number of authorized Taylor dealers worldwide, with broader availability coming later in the year". Not a word about them being limited...

So, what does this really mean?
I'm curious as well. What I'm more curious about is what features will the Grand Pacifics have when they hit the standard line. Will they lose their BE appointments? Yeah, probably I would imagine.

I'm still weighing the possibility of buying a 517. I did some comparisons last night between the 717 and my D-18, and I prefer the 717 without a question. It just sounds better, it's more comfortable, and it's louder.

But, here is the cool thing about the D-18. When switching to the D-18 from the 717, it actually feels and looks like a vintage guitar! I didn't expect that at all. The BE appointments really help to give it a more modern vibe, so getting that old school vibe from the D-18 is a welcome experience!
Old 06-20-2019, 06:22 AM

Quote:
I'm curious as well. What I'm more curious about is what features will the Grand Pacifics have when they hit the standard line. Will they lose their BE appointments? Yeah, probably I would imagine.

I'm still weighing the possibility of buying a 517. I did some comparisons last night between the 717 and my D-18, and I prefer the 717 without a question. It just sounds better, it's more comfortable, and it's louder.

But, here is the cool thing about the D-18. When switching to the D-18 from the 717, it actually feels and looks like a vintage guitar! I didn't expect that at all. The BE appointments really help to give it a more modern vibe, so getting that old school vibe from the D-18 is a welcome experience!
Shades, as a proud owner of a 517, I'm going to say you've got the best of all worlds with a 717 and a D18. The corollary of the hog/rw back and sides would be a 517 and a D28. That's a lot of guitar right there!
Old 06-20-2019, 06:23 AM

I have discovered one thing that is irritating about my 717. However, I don't believe this is the guitar's fault! My G7th Performance 2 capo buzzes really bad on the middle D and G strings on the first and second frets. It stops just barely buzzing on the 3rd.

Not sure if it is the 15" radius or the Compound neck carve. I might have to look into another Capo.
Old 06-20-2019, 08:59 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Quote:
I have discovered one thing that is irritating about my 717. However, I don't believe this is the guitar's fault! My G7th Performance 2 capo buzzes really bad on the middle D and G strings on the first and second frets. It stops just barely buzzing on the 3rd.

Not sure if it is the 15" radius or the Compound neck carve. I might have to look into another Capo.
Probably the capo. I have found that issue at times with the G7th Performance series capos on lower profile necks. I wonder if they sent you a replacement rubber pad. Maybe that might make a difference? Might be worth a shot. You could also play a bit with placement of the capo. Some folks turn them upside down but I find that it then gets in my way. A Heritage with ART would probably address the capo issue successfully if you like yoke style capos.

Best,
Jayne
Old 06-20-2019, 04:29 PM

Quote:

Ho ho - back to the Elixir PB Mediums - it is probably the 'low tension' strings!
(Mine is fine with the G7 2.) I normally use a Shubb.

BluesKing777.
Old 06-22-2019, 08:48 AM

Default How long will Taylor make Builder's Editions?

Spoke with Taylor yesterday. I figured what could a call hurt? They said that they didn’t know yet whether or not to keep the BE as a limited edition, or if they would just keep the BE as the standard for the line.

The more I play my 717, the more I realize this is the guitar I’ve been waiting for. If it had any more low end, it would sound scooped, and if it had any more shimmer it would sound like a typical Taylor. To me, it sounds like an OM and a Dreadnought had a little too much wine one night and...well, I’ll let you figure out the rest.

It’s perfect for me and my style. Ok, I’ll try to stop gushing again...
Old 06-22-2019, 10:08 AM
Resident Guitar Hack

Quote:
To me, it sounds like an OM and a Dreadnought had a little too much wine one night and...well, I’ll let you figure out the rest.
Yep...and the OM was a Martin and the dread was a slope Gibson. Then a mad scientist named Andy tweaked the DNA to make it V-braced. Out came a whole new beautiful baby.

FOR SALE: 2023 Martin 000-15SM 12 fret w/ K&K mini

Old 06-22-2019, 08:53 PM

Quote:

I am thinking the first three frets may need to be dressed a tad more, or the nut may be cut ever so slightly to deep for the D and G string. Easy fixes either way.
Old 06-22-2019, 09:43 PM
Charter Member

I just saw today that there is a "first article" edition now. Builders edition but supposedly directly supervised by Andy, lol.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion