The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 11-29-2020, 11:36 AM

Default Butchered nut slot

Can anybody advise on the best method to repair a butchered nut slot on a 'no name' bass. The old nut was glued in with P.U. glue and once I got it out I found the slot very over sized and out of square. Its almost through the fret board and down to the neck wood as well.
I thought to glue in shims until I get a tight fit, then file back to snug. Now Im thinking maybe its better to rout the whole lot out oversize,glue in a solid block and start again.
Words of wisdom appreciated. Thanks
Old 11-29-2020, 01:03 PM

Post photos if you want pertinent recommendations.
Old 11-29-2020, 08:15 PM

Photos would be helpful. I think the recommendation will be to get it square and flat and, depending on how bad it ends up being, either make an oversized nut, shim the slot for a proper sized nut, or fill and re-cut properly.

If getting the slot cleaned up and square requires cutting into the front edge of the slot (toward the first fret) then shimming or filling/recutting will almost certainly be necessary, as you will have effectively changed the scale length of the fretboard and that will cause the instrument to have poor intonation.
Old 11-30-2020, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonWint View Post
Post photos if you want pertinent recommendations.
Sorry,photos not possible at the moment.
Old 11-30-2020, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canyongargon View Post
Photos would be helpful. I think the recommendation will be to get it square and flat and, depending on how bad it ends up being, either make an oversized nut, shim the slot for a proper sized nut, or fill and re-cut properly.

If getting the slot cleaned up and square requires cutting into the front edge of the slot (toward the first fret) then shimming or filling/recutting will almost certainly be necessary, as you will have effectively changed the scale length of the fretboard and that will cause the instrument to have poor intonation.
I was wondering about that-The scale length. How can I accurately calculate the position for the new nut? Ive decided to go with shims for now.I glued one in on the fret side last night and it looks good.Ive just done the headstock side now,so I should be able to reslot for a standard nut tomorrow.
I need a measurement from the center of the first fret to the edge of the nut,if anyone can help.

I just took some measurements.The fretboard is 605mm(+-) and holds 20 frets. Measuring from inside edge to outer edge of the frets,I get a pretty consistent drop of about 2.2mm.(Based on the first 6 frets) If I measure the frets from heart to heart, there's no regularity.

Last edited by 123davido; 11-30-2020 at 12:47 PM.
Old 11-30-2020, 03:48 PM

Aha! Just discovered a fret position calculator. My nut needs to be 4.847mm from the 1st fret.
I'll give that a go.
Old 11-30-2020, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123davido View Post
Aha! Just discovered a fret position calculator. My nut needs to be 4.847mm from the 1st fret.
I'll give that a go.
Perhaps you’ve misplaced the decimal. It needs to be more than 4.8 mm.
Old 12-01-2020, 01:28 AM

Ha. My mistake. 4.8cm.
Old 12-01-2020, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123davido View Post
I need a measurement from the center of the first fret to the edge of the nut,if anyone can help.
Why not put new nut where old nut was located? Wasn't the old nut at the end of the fretboard?
Old 12-01-2020, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonWint View Post
Why not put new nut where old nut was located? Wasn't the old nut at the end of the fretboard?
Because the hole was munched.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair