The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 06-24-2014, 06:15 PM

Default Best Bang for the Buck ($800ish)

I just sold a steel string guitar and have $800 in my paypal account. It is burning.

I need help. I have an older classical guitar that has a nice sweetness to her but I would like another, higher end guitar. It is probably best for me to look into the used market for the price and that is fine.

What I would like in a perfect world. Solid wood everywhere. Rosewood, I think (but am open to alternatives). I dont care about electronics. Made in Spain. Is that being a little too big for my britches? Without geting into handmade luthier built (which I am glad to buy) what do you think of Cordoba vs Alhambra?

Any suggestions you have are appreciated.

Last edited by pensncrows; 06-24-2014 at 06:40 PM.
Old 06-25-2014, 02:05 AM

Location: New Zealand, South Island, way down toward the bottom!

I don't know what the market is like where you're shopping, but I think it might be nearly impossible to get an all solid rosewood backed Alhambra for that kind of dough. Cordoba and La Patrie seem to get extremely high ratings around here, especially if you can stomach something that isn't made in Spain...

Edit: of course, if you can find an Alhambra at that price point and it's not horribly damaged, I think you'll be getting a ridiculously nice instrument for the money. I had the chance to play a whole bunch of them in one of my Spanish phases, along with loads of other brands made in similar workshops in Spain, and I thought the Alhambras were generally the most consistent in quality and sound, given the price range. I don't know what happens to the instruments that cross over the Atlantic, but the prices in the US are significantly higher than in Spain, so they may be throwing in an extra level of quality control and a setup as part of the package.

I'd recommend playing anything and everything you can get your hands on, to see what specifics are really important to you in terms of feel and sound, and then from there you might be able to narrow down your search to a few specific brands or models. Good luck in your search!

Last edited by dosland; 06-25-2014 at 02:14 AM.
Old 06-25-2014, 03:07 AM
Musical minimalist

Don't discount the Chinese made Cordobas.......my C9 has sent a lot of 1500-2000 used instruments packing.

The guitar that came the closest to it was the Aparicio AA100 (I had one spruce and one cedar)

Another great option would be to find a used Cervantes PE (Hauser or Rodriguez) used - it would probably be a little more than 800 and don't come up very often, but also really nice instruments (I favor the Rodriguez)

Old 06-25-2014, 06:16 AM

Look for an old Yairi. They are hard to beat.

My website:
http://draudio56.wix.com/warren-bendler

"It's hard...calming the Beatle inside of me."
Old 06-25-2014, 09:30 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pensncrows View Post
Solid wood everywhere. Rosewood, I think (but am open to alternatives).
Like most guitars, the top is where most of the sound is produced. Classicals typically either have a spruce or cedar top. A solid wood top is a "must have." Spruce tops tend to produce a brighter sound, and cedar a warmer more mellow sound. I have owned both, and the tone can be affected by strings to some degree. For example, titanium trebles may brighten up a cedar top, and make a spruce top too bright. Of course it's always about personal taste. The backs and sides seem to make less a difference, and I have owned classicals with solid IR, IR laminate, Madagascar rosewood laminate, and maple laminate. Based on the price of each of the guitars (MSRP $800-1400), I would characterize the laminates as "higher quality" and they do not diminish the tonal quality of the guitars - at least to my ears.
Old 06-25-2014, 09:44 AM

A spruce top Francisco Navarro student classical....

Francisco Navarro Concert Classical
Francisco Navarro Student Flamenco
Eastman AC708 Sunburst
Seagull S6
Cordoba C-5
Fender Strat MIM
Old 06-25-2014, 10:55 AM

Check out the Cordoba and La Patrie lines - as well as the Guild GAD GC2...
Old 06-25-2014, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by softballbryan View Post
A spruce top Francisco Navarro student classical....
To expand on that, all solid woods, lacquer finish, and based on my experience likely to have a richer and more powerful sound that other brands mentioned in the price range. New at very close to your price point (or at least they used to be).

The possible downsides?

Finish may not be as cosmetically good. I have seen student Navarro's with finish flaws. The top wood may not be cosmetically great. Fret boards are usually very nice (cocobolo I believe) as are back/sides. I have seen Navarro student models with less than attractive tops. It will not play like a cross over. It will play like a classical (a matter of taste for the OP) including neck size and set up. Lastly they aren't available just everywhere but they used to show up on ebay a lot and there is a dealer in Texas that used to keep a running supply. I think he was the US rep for Navarro. He might have been the guy ebaying them. Other dealers are around that carry the brand too.

If sound matters and if you want the best sound for your cash, this is a pretty solid contender.

And for point of reference I do have a and play a Cordoba GK a lot as well as a Navarro student model.

hunter
Old 06-25-2014, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhunter View Post
And for point of reference I do have a and play a Cordoba GK a lot as well as a Navarro student model.
I own a fantastic Robert Garcia Hauser '37 classical valued north of $5K. I recently bought a little Cordoba GK Studio as a jam session instrument and I'm absolutely dumbfounded at how great that little guitar sounds and plays. Cordoba guitars are incredibly consistent in the more moderate price ranges. I'm starting to like the GK as much or more than my beloved Robert Garcia.
Old 06-25-2014, 07:14 PM
Charter Member

I was very impressed with the Kenny Hill New World guitars. Especially the 650mm one with the Cedar top!!! Ton of guitar and responsiveness for the money!!!!

High End Guitar Review Videos.
www.youtube.com/user/rockinb23
Old 06-25-2014, 07:22 PM

Look into a Cordoba C7 ($499). It is not solid rosewood back and sides (it is laminate) but does sound it. Mine is my main instrument and it blows all my others away. A C10 is solid back and sides but will cost $999 new. If you can save a little more buy it. Try out a C9 also. It is solid mahogany and not rosewood, but they sound fantastic also ($799).

La Patrie Collection or Presentation is also a good choice and they should be in your price range for all solid instruments.
Martin 000-18
Ibanez AC340opn
Old 06-26-2014, 02:29 PM

When I bought my classical, I decided to disregard the "Made in" label and just focused on the sound of the guitars in my budget. I ended up buying a Walden CN2030 (solid cedar over solid rosewood) as it sounded better then any other guitar I tried for my money. At the time it cost $625 at the Walden dealer (had a budget of $1,000). Yes, it is "Made in China", but Walden has their own plant (they don't sub out like most Chinese made guitars) and the fit, finish and over all quality was better then all of the all-solid guitars for that price that I was able to get my hands on. When I'm playing, it sounds outstanding.. and you know what? I can't see the Label inside where it says where it was made while I'm playing

"Those who wish to appear wise among fools, among the wise seem foolish."
Quintilian
Old 06-27-2014, 02:39 PM

You ought to check out the Kremona lines. They have a nice price range that overlaps what you're looking to spend, and make both classical and Flamenco models...

Have fun !
Old 06-28-2014, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasper View Post
When I bought my classical, I decided to disregard the "Made in" label and just focused on the sound of the guitars in my budget. I ended up buying a Walden CN2030 (solid cedar over solid rosewood) as it sounded better then any other guitar I tried for my money. At the time it cost $625 at the Walden dealer (had a budget of $1,000). Yes, it is "Made in China", but Walden has their own plant (they don't sub out like most Chinese made guitars) and the fit, finish and over all quality was better then all of the all-solid guitars for that price that I was able to get my hands on. When I'm playing, it sounds outstanding.. and you know what? I can't see the Label inside where it says where it was made while I'm playing
I will give an enthusiastic +1 to the Walden guitar line - and they have a new line of classicals that have just come out - the Walden Sollana series. I have not played one yet (I don't think they are widely distributed yet), but I own a 2005 Walden N610CE, and I like it a lot! I eventually want to get an all-solid-wood classical, and a Walden SN2030 (the equivalent Sollana to Wasper's CN2030) would be a strong contender.

There probably are NOS N2030's and CN2030"s out there - here is a link to the Walden line - http://www.waldenguitars.com/

Last edited by FloridaGull; 06-28-2014 at 08:24 AM. Reason: Added link to Walden Guitars
Old 06-28-2014, 06:23 PM

I can't speak highly enough of my Guild GAD GC2. Don't let the Made in China sticker fool you, its 100% Quality. All solid wood, cedar top, rosewood sides, hog neck w/ satin finish & ebony fretboard. Plus it comes with a hsc. New they run about $900 so I would imagine it would be right in your budget with Musicians Friend and some coupons.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical