The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 08-30-2004, 08:35 AM

Default The Perfect "Electric" Rhythm Setup?

Just curious on some of you "experts" think the perfect setup is for an electric rhythm guitar and amp is? It would be used for gigging!

I'm kinda thinking about a Rickenbacker 360 and a 2x12 Tube amp, not sure what amp.

Mostly Country and Classic Rock?
Old 08-30-2004, 09:00 AM

Ricks are cool, but I think I would use a Strat or Tele. I think the Strat is a versatile guitar and the Tele, well, it's a Tele! A Rick through a Vox AC30 is a great sound, but I like the Fender sound overall. But hey! That's just me!
Old 08-30-2004, 11:31 AM

I love the sound of Ricks, but they are very distinct.

It depends on what you are playing as to what guitar to use. I played a lot of rhythm and lead guitar in bands using a G&L ASAT which looks like a tele, but has different pickups and some other changes to the bridge etc. But, it was very versatile and I could get it to sound different for different tunes. From Blues, to country to grunge...it works fine.

A good 2 x 12 tube amp should sound fine. I used a Peavey Delta Blues 30 watt tube amp with a single 15" speaker, and it worked fine.
Old 08-30-2004, 10:37 PM

There's a reason why a Strat into a Twin is such a legendary combination. For country and classic rock especially.
That said there's a ton of options, really mostly based on your taste and how much you want to spend.
Almost endless combinations. I think your on the right track though. A nice guitar into a tube amp will leave you smiling!

http://www.marklyn.info/
Old 08-31-2004, 08:54 AM

This may or not relate...
but I recorded my Tele with an Amplitube program, and it sounded best through a simulation of an AC30...
franchelB: TGF member #57!
Old 08-31-2004, 09:11 AM

You could ask 100 electric guitar players this question and probably get 75 different answers.

My MusicMan (click the "Axis Super Sport" link in my signature to see a picture) is extremely versatile. It's got the best playing neck I've ever played.

1997 Taylor 814ce
Goodall AKJ
Old 08-31-2004, 10:33 AM

How about a Gretsch Eldorado, 18" at the lower bout, G tail piece, 5 piece maple neck, ebony fretboard, no cutaway (of course), .014 to .060 strings set at 3/16" at the 12th fret of the low E. No amplication necessary, at least if you're Freddie Green. If you're anyone else, then a nice mic through the house PA will give you that classic four-to-the-bar, big band sound.
Old 08-31-2004, 12:01 PM

Fender Telecaster through Fender Tube amp. That's as much tone as any one man can handle!
MySpace
Old 08-31-2004, 12:32 PM
In The Pocket

Strat and a Line 6 Spider II 212. Awesome rhythm guitar and amp combo! Right now I have a Strat going through an old Hohner combo, and I mean old - and it sounds great! But I am in the market for a new amp and the Line 6 Spider series is the best out there for the money - IMO, of course... - Devin
Isaiah 38:20
---------------------
Devin @ MySpace
Devin's Guitars
Old 08-31-2004, 02:38 PM
Charter Member

Okay, here's something different.

Les Paul with an EMG H in the bridge position and an EMG HA in the neck position. The HA is a single coil pickup in a humbucking housing. This combo gives you everything from tone-set-down blues in the bridge position to wonderful rhthym in the neck position. Plus, combining them is out of this world. Add a Fender Twin and you have something really special...

Worry less about the guitars you want. Play the guitar you have more.
The answer will come, and it will not be what you expect.

A guitar is a tool, and a friend. But it is not the answer.

It is the beginning.

Current Guitars:

Taylor 716C Modified
Voyage-Air VAOM-04

CD: The Bayleys: From The Inside
CDBaby
Amazon
Also available from iTunes

Last edited by wthurman; 09-01-2004 at 04:39 AM.
Old 08-31-2004, 03:23 PM

You can't beat a Les Paul through a Marshall tube amp. Those two pieces of gear are largely responsible for creating the sound of rock and roll.
Old 08-31-2004, 04:57 PM

Sheesh, what a question!

Are you looking for versatility? Or tone? IME, they tend to be inversely proportional. For example, modelling amps (and modelling guitars, now) are incredibly versatile, but the tone is generally not as good as an good tube amp.

For classic (distorted) rock, IMO gibson guitars into marshall amps are where it's at. For a country twang, try a tele into a cleanish fender amp.

My Band!
Old 08-31-2004, 09:31 PM

Great stuff!

I'm not "sure" what I'm looking for. Some of that will be made evident over the next couple of weeks!

Keep the thoughts and idea's coming.

I would say the sound I'm looking for is pretty simple "Country with a little distortion"?
Old 09-01-2004, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taygull

I would say the sound I'm looking for is pretty simple "Country with a little distortion"?
Tele thru Fender amp (Twin or Bassman). You can throw a Mesa Boogie V-Twin pedal between them and get all the distortion you'll ever want or need.
Old 09-01-2004, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randal_S
Tele thru Fender amp (Twin or Bassman). You can throw a Mesa Boogie V-Twin pedal between them and get all the distortion you'll ever want or need.
Second vote for this. But finding a vintage twin or bassman for a reasonable price might not be so easy...

My Band!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars