The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 11-28-2023, 11:33 AM

Well, Emerald says they'll do the exchange. I'd have to cover shipping to get it there, which I'm guessing will be around $150-200 US. Plus I'd have to find a box as I callously threw out the one that it came in.

They say they'll work with me on sending the new x30 back to me, though I'm not sure what that means.

They also suggested that I could try a heavier gauge string to see if that gets the x10 tone more to where I'd want it. Like a .12- or .13-.56.

I don't know WTF to do now.

-T
Old 11-28-2023, 02:34 PM

Well, if there's a Guitar Center or other guitar store of any kind nearby, ask them if they have an extra box you can have.

Aside from that, I'd say strings are cheap. Change the strings and see if that works for you.

if not, then you can deal with the more perplexing options.
Rainsong Flamenco Nylon (SN#120)
Composite Acoustics 5iM-CE (GXi)
Cordoba Stage
Enya NexG 2, Mountain Guitar, Luna Tribal
Old 11-28-2023, 03:17 PM
Charter Member

I have an x7 nylon an X20 and an X30-12 and I have played an x7 steel.

The 20 and 30 are significantly closer acoustically than the 7 and the 20. From what I understand the 10 is less full acoustically than the 7.

The 7 and 10 are decently full tones for a small body guitar but they are still small body guitars.

I tried heavier strings on the 7 including bluegrass(12-56 hybrid) on a steel string x7 I and it didn't bring it to the fullness of the 20.

Last edited by Aspiring; 11-28-2023 at 04:22 PM.
Old 11-28-2023, 06:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspiring View Post
I have an x7 nylon an X20 and an X30-12 and I have played an x7 steel.

The 20 and 30 are significantly closer acoustically than the 7 and the 20. From what I understand the 10 is less full acoustically than the 7.

The 7 and 10 are decently full tones for a small body guitar but they are still small body guitars.

I tried heavier strings on the 7 including bluegrass(12-56 hybrid) on a steel string x7 I and it didn't bring it to the fullness of the 20.
I think this is the key here. I wouldn’t expect you’d ever be able to make an X10 sound as lush as an X20 - the physics are just not on your side.

The X10 is described as an “acoustic/electric hybrid”, which should provide some clue as to its original purpose in life - I think the true, pure acoustic Emerald lineage runs X7 -> X20 -> X30.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 11-28-2023, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd S View Post
Well, Emerald says they'll do the exchange. I'd have to cover shipping to get it there, which I'm guessing will be around $150-200 US. Plus I'd have to find a box as I callously threw out the one that it came in.

They say they'll work with me on sending the new x30 back to me, though I'm not sure what that means.

They also suggested that I could try a heavier gauge string to see if that gets the x10 tone more to where I'd want it. Like a .12- or .13-.56.

-T
That's great that Emerald is willing to work with you on an exchange if that's what you choose to do.
Old 11-28-2023, 06:59 PM

I own several Emeralds including X7, X10 & X20 and really like all of them.

However, I personally prefer my X10 over the X7.

The X10 sounds fuller acoustically and the only thing "hybrid" about it is the neck shape / carve IMO. I also prefer the larger scale neck and fret spacing of X10. I have the Ghost Piezo with Krivo and that pickup combination sounds great plugged in... Just thought I would let people know that some of us (me) loves the X10!! Lol

But yeah, no way the X10 will sound as full as X20 acoustically IMO.

Last edited by dgaemc2; 11-28-2023 at 07:01 PM. Reason: Correction
Old 11-29-2023, 07:36 AM

Quote:

-T
Just looked and there is still a woody X30 at Guitar Center.
Order it, have it sent to your home, play it for a week. If you don't love it, then you know theres no point in exchanging your X10.
If you *do* love it, you can decide whether it is worth keeping itself, or if you prefer to work the exchange of the X10 with an X30 closer to your preferences directly from Emerald.

Whether you love it or not, you have 45 days to return it for a full refund of price and tax (but not shipping).

Paying under $100 to rent it for a week to determine if you really want an X30 seems worth it, to me.
Cordoba Stage

Last edited by brainfertilizer; 11-29-2023 at 07:59 AM. Reason: clarify meaning
Old 11-29-2023, 09:20 AM

I'm not sold on the return/exchange, I don't think. Too much $ lost in shipping. I'm thinking about either picking up the cocobolo x30 listed here (love the x20 neck on it), or getting the b-spec purple one that's on the site right now for like $2000. (Big savings if I don't get a veneer...) Then just selling the guitar that isn't for me.

Either way, I'd be losing a few hundred bucks on the guitar I part with (whether I sold or exchanged). But I'd have the benefit of getting to spend some real time with each guitar to decide which of the two I'd be keeping.

I kind of threw idea past the wife and got more of an indifferent response than a no. She already thinks I'm nuts so I can probably get away with it. Merry Christmas to me? It'd save her some shopping time...

-T
Old 11-29-2023, 09:43 AM

Seems like you are thinking it through effectively to me!
Cordoba Stage
Old 11-29-2023, 10:28 AM

It's almost like my brain is getting a bit fertilized to help it along!

Thanks to y'all for being a very good sounding board, as it were.

-T
Old 11-30-2023, 10:58 AM

Welp, it's settled. I'm buying the cocobolo x30 that's listed here on the board. Thanks, Rich!

I'll play them all for a bit and then keep my favorite two. Which I suspect with be the x20 and the x30. Although I did have a nice time soloing on the x10 last night at the studio. So maybe I'll just end up infuriating my wife and keeping all three. lol.

Or maybe I'll end up keeping the x10 at the cottage and selling the CA OX. Who knows where this great experiment will take things!?

-T
Old 11-30-2023, 11:02 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Welp, it's settled. I'm buying the cocobolo x30 that's listed here on the board. Thanks, Rich!

I'll play them all for a bit and then keep my favorite two. Which I suspect with be the x20 and the x30. Although I did have a nice time soloing on the x10 last night at the studio. So maybe I'll just end up infuriating my wife and keeping all three. lol.

Or maybe I'll end up keeping the x10 at the cottage and selling the CA OX. Who knows where this great experiment will take things!?

-T
Congratulations - choice is a wonderful thing
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 11-30-2023, 12:17 PM

Quote:

-T
Congratulations!
Old 11-30-2023, 02:02 PM

Quote:

-T
Any solution which involves playing more guitars more is a win in my book
Cordoba Stage
Old 12-02-2023, 04:12 PM

Quote:

-T
Congratulations!! Sounds like a great plan too!!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber