The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 09-17-2000, 12:13 AM
AGF Owner & Founder

Talking Anyone ever played a Froggy Bottom?

I played one once and fell in love with it. I've never seen one again in any store. I know that pros like William Ackerman play this guitar, and I've heard nothing but good things about it. Any comments?

J.R.
Old 09-18-2000, 11:33 AM

I have played a one-off commissioned amazingly flamed Koa H model and a rosewood F. Both were robust, powerful voices for their body sizes. Beautiful wood selection and all wood bindings. Truly hand made guitars from the shop of Mike Millard. These are special guitars with a traditional American/Martin guitar voice.

------------------
Goodall / Thompson
http://communities.msn.com/Handmadeguitars for pics of my guitars
www.acttrue.com
Old 09-18-2000, 09:10 PM
AGF Owner & Founder

Thumbs up

WOW, Marc! You have a seriously nice collection of acoustic guitars there! I'd be in guitar heaven at your place.

I especially like the Leach. What a beauty!

J.R.

Old 09-20-2000, 12:10 AM

Thank you for the kind words.

The Goodall Koa Standard is my "standard" is comparison in term of complexity, richness of tone. Through its overtone voice I have discovered SC OM, Lowden O and F 35, Bourgeois walnut/cedar OMC, and Thompson T1.

These have been the "brands" that catch my ear.

The Thompson is the guitar I play most often. It is very comfortable. Lots of headroom for my very heavy guitar style. Excellent wood selection, standard inlays, and a great bark to the tone.

The Leach was my first commisioned guitar, and it was a trly gorgeous instrument. That flamed walnut seemed to move as you looked at it, and the blue spruce has streaks of blue in the grain. Lovely.

Marc Durso

------------------
Goodall / Thompson
www.acttrue.com
Old 09-20-2000, 11:16 AM
AGF Owner & Founder

Thumbs up

I've never seen blue spruce before. Sounds really nice. I bet those pictures don't do it justice.

One of the nicest guitars I've ever played was this GORGEOUS Goodall Dreadnought that had an ebony body. Not only was it beautiful to look at, but it sounded like a cannon! Then I saw the price tag and carefully hung it back on the wall. The best certainly does have a price.

J.R.
Old 10-15-2000, 06:28 PM

Yes, and deservedly so. Great tone is more in the hands of the luthier than in the wood. So you are paying for skill.

Try a Thompson. Great bang for the buck. I love mine and play it more than the Goodall. Contact Moses Tey at [email protected]. He reps Thompson, has his own exotic wood stash and is helping a buddy of mine commisssion a Thompson T3 Jumbo in Koa. My friend played my Thompson T1 and he had to have one.

Contact Tom at Music and More about the Froggy F, I believe is the model, he has on the wall. Rich, powerful voice. With extra binding and mitered corners in flamed maple. Lovely. 954 791 2616 I bought my Goodall from Tom. He'll work with you. Tell him I sent ya.

Marc Durso
The best certainly does have a price.

J.R.[/B][/QUOTE]

------------------
Goodall / Thompson
www.acttrue.com

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification