The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-26-2020, 05:43 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by llew View Post
Of those two clips (and I'm a long time JT fan) I'd have to go with the first on that old J-50(?) he used to play way back then.
Yep, I'd agree. But that second video has had nearly 3 million views and nearly a 1000 comments. And I bet if you went through the comments you'd be hard pressed to find one saying "Geee, I wish he'd used his old Gibson". Which sort of puts our (and I include myself) cork sniffing obsession with vintage tone into its true perspective!!!

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Old 10-26-2020, 06:01 AM
Charter Member

Yeah...I have to agree but what percentage of those who commented are JT fans and not JT fans and guitar players (who he has influenced)? I like your "cork sniffing obsession with vintage tone" remark. Pretty much nails it!

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 10-26-2020, 08:40 AM

I have never chased "vintage tone." Back in the day I could not afford anything shiny and new so ended up buying what were then just used guitars. Did not really matter because I did not know a good guitar from a can of tuna. Fast forward to around 1970 when I finally reached a point I could afford something new it was not exactly what I would all a golden age for Martins and particularly Gibsons. So I stuck with what I had.

Over the decades though I found old Gibsons were a good match for me. If I had to describe Old School Gibson tone it would be raw which I define as a fast decay and leaner when it comes to overtones/harmonics. They give you one big note and then quickly get out of the way. Not a good or a bad thing when compared to Bozeman-made guitars. Just different. But Ren Ferguson had his own ideas as to what sounded best as did Lloyd Loar, Larry Allers and other chief engineers from Gibson's past.
Old 10-26-2020, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llew View Post
Of those two clips (and I'm a long time JT fan) I'd have to go with the first on that old J-50(?) he used to play way back then.
I'm with you! Plus, his vocals are far better.
scott
Old 10-26-2020, 12:21 PM

I have a Furch dreadnaught that’s a little older than your OM. At the time I played quite a few guitars before making the purchase. I have a couple of Martins, a mid 90s era Guild and an older Takamine at home for comparison. The Vintage Furchs are definitely a little more old school sounding than their current colour lineup.

I’d say Furch as a builder falls in the spectrum sounding like Collings or Bourgeois. They don’t quite have the Martin or good Gibson thump, but they also tend to be a little prettier sounding, and they are very responsive. I’ve only played a very few Taylors that have ever appealed to my ears, but as soon as I started to play the Furch lineup they sounded like home.

Both the Vintage and Colour Furch lines look and sound closer to a Martin than a Taylor, the Vintage to my ears is just a little moreso.

I’ve had my Furch D31TSR for almost three years; it’s a keeper, it’s not going anywhere. It would be like a Vintage 1 rosewood dread from their current lineup with a torrified spruce top.

2018 Furch D31TSR
2008 Martin OMCRE
1992 Takamine EAN20C
1996 Fender Telecaster w/ Barden Nashville set
1986 Charvel Model 5
2005 Art & Lutherie Ami
1980ish Hohner copy of a 'burst
Old 10-26-2020, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laughingboy68 View Post
I have a Furch dreadnaught that’s a little older than your OM. At the time I played quite a few guitars before making the purchase. I have a couple of Martins, a mid 90s era Guild and an older Takamine at home for comparison. The Vintage Furchs are definitely a little more old school sounding than their current colour lineup.

I’d say Furch as a builder falls in the spectrum sounding like Collings or Bourgeois. They don’t quite have the Martin or good Gibson thump, but they also tend to be a little prettier sounding, and they are very responsive. I’ve only played a very few Taylors that have ever appealed to my ears, but as soon as I started to play the Furch lineup they sounded like home.

Both the Vintage and Colour Furch lines look and sound closer to a Martin than a Taylor, the Vintage to my ears is just a little moreso.

I’ve had my Furch D31TSR for almost three years; it’s a keeper, it’s not going anywhere. It would be like a Vintage 1 rosewood dread from their current lineup with a torrified spruce top.
thanks for your info, can't wait till my furch arrives, hope i did right ordering the vintage. I did not had the chance to play this model.But your info gives me the idea i did well. ( my english is not so good)..

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion