The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 10-09-2020, 09:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rllink View Post
Sometimes I hear a familiar chord progression, maybe a riff that I've done before, a melody line that's familiar. Sometimes not and then I have to find it somewhere and see what's going on. But let's face it, if a song is in a twelve bar blues progression, a half way proficient guitar player should be able to hear it and jump on. Same with a half dozen other common progressions.
I never learned to read music; playing by ear was how I started back in the 60s. That should give you an idea of how long I've been playing. I'm thinking with a bit more work, I should be able to get myself to... half way proficient.

It's an old joke, but I'm an old guy: when asked if I play by ear, I generally respond with, "No, I use my fingers." (rimshot)
Old 10-09-2020, 10:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
I never learned to read music; playing by ear was how I started back in the 60s. That should give you an idea of how long I've been playing. I'm thinking with a bit more work, I should be able to get myself to... half way proficient.

It's an old joke, but I'm an old guy: when asked if I play by ear, I generally respond with, "No, I use my fingers." (rimshot)
Yes, I'm an old guy too. But I learned to read music in fourth grade. But even though, I seldom find circumstances where the ability is handy. I mean, you quoted me but I wasn't talking about reading music. One doesn't need to read music to play guitar. But because you bring it up, I'm saying that reading music isn't hard to learn. In case you want to.

Last edited by rllink; 10-09-2020 at 10:20 PM.
Old 10-09-2020, 10:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Su_H. View Post
I also like to add that Mozart composed his last few compositions while being stoned deaf.
You're thinking of Beethoven, and yes that was amazing.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 10-09-2020, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
You're thinking of Beethoven, and yes that was amazing.
My bad, Rick. Thanks for the correction.
Old 10-10-2020, 03:46 AM

simple answer: if you [manage by 'practise']..from the onset..to learn to play by ear=you learn to eg: 'Solo' note playing especially etc by 'improvisation.'..to 'play a solo on the fly'..
Those that learn to 'sight' read etc..can read musical notation etc can 'play' but can lack 'improvisational skills' that is 'acquired' over time ... and is a 'requirement' when 'to instantly play on the fly' with other musicians etc.

many of those self taught by ear,learn solely by 'improvisation' etc.and by 'memorisation' etc.They maybe lack knowledge of EG: Musical Theory etc..but can play with 'proficiency and fluidity etc.
For some who can[taught]to sight read etc with 'fluidity' etc. have advantages yes! but...take the sheet away,freeze!..they can be musically restricted.They cannot 'improvise on the Fly!in comfort .There lack of 'improvisational skills' soon become very 'apparent' etc.
The self taught by ear only player has to learn,to sharpen his 'audible' skill from the onset etc,.learned by the ongoing 'practise' of =Repetition and by 'memorisation' of !etc,audible reliance etc,he has too...he relies upon it for 'improvisation'100%.

One can learn to read music notation to fluidity etc & know musical theory etc but it won't make you a better player without combining the 'audible' practise of too etc.
Old 10-10-2020, 07:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandobart View Post
…So for my question - is this common? Do most people need notation/tabs/lesson to learn a new song? Do others learn by ear?
Hi Mandobart

I taught fingerstyle (intermediate and advanced) for 40 years, and in all that time I only had 3 students who could read music. And I proceeded to teach them without notation, or TAB.

Playing by ear benefits people who know the notes (and many players know note names without being able to read charts).

Part of the challenge for chart/score readers is finding scores of the music they want to play. There are still far more great fingerstyle pieces without scores than with. And the newer the piece, the less likely to have scores.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 10-10-2020, 08:13 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I also like to add that Mozart composed his last few compositions while being stoned deaf.
So that would be like consuming so much wine he could no longer hear ? Like a wine coma composition

In answer to the OP, I don't know how common compared to reading notation or tabs, I suspect probably more or less equal . But other than (chord diagrams) I basically learned by ear, and still do not use tabs or notation. But then again I seldom attempt a direct note for note rendition. Nor do I play finger style

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 10-10-2020 at 02:58 PM.
Old 10-10-2020, 08:24 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by _zedagive View Post
I search all over the internet trying to find someone playing by their ear with no success. Saw guys playing with their teeth, nose, toes, but not even one with their ear, so I think it's not common at all. And, if that's what you're looking to do, I say go for it dude! Could be a guitar game changer.
Ha! Thanks for the smile of the day!!!

Gene
Old 10-12-2020, 06:25 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nymuso View Post
I suspect it's more common among the self taught, vintage players such as myself who learned by repeatedly lifting and replacing the phonograph needle.
This is so true. Lift and replace, lift and replace. Sometimes it took a few people to figure out the lyrics.

1969 Martin D-35 (Brazilian Rosewood/Sitka Spruce)
2002 Taylor 355 12-string (Sapele/Sitka Spruce)
2014 Taylor 914ce (Indian Rosewood/Sitka Spruce)
2016 Breedlove Oregon Concert (Myrtlewood)
2018 Taylor GS Mini (Walnut/Spruce)
2021 Taylor 326ce (Urban Ash/Mahogany)
2021 Kevin Ryan Paradiso (The Tree/Sinker Redwood)
2022 KaAloha KTM-10RP Ukulele (Koa)
Old 10-12-2020, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Apart from that being Beethoven not Mozart, the expression is "stone deaf".

To be "stoned deaf" is either a really nasty public punishment ("Ow! that one went right in my ear!") , or an unfortunate - and unusual - result of over indulgence in illegal drugs...

Beethoven was certainly profoundly deaf at the end of his life, but it's surprising how much you can hear via vibration, eg by putting your ear against a piano. Evelyn Glennie is a world-class percussionist who has been deaf since the age of 12.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evelyn_Glennie

Last edited by JonPR; 10-12-2020 at 11:19 AM.
Old 10-12-2020, 12:17 PM

Well that was truly inspirational.
Old 10-12-2020, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonPR View Post
Apart from that being Beethoven not Mozart, the expression is "stone deaf".

To be "stoned deaf" is either a really nasty public punishment ("Ow! that one went right in my ear!") , or an unfortunate - and unusual - result of over indulgence in illegal drugs...

Beethoven was certainly profoundly deaf at the end of his life, but it's surprising how much you can hear via vibration, eg by putting your ear against a piano. Evelyn Glennie is a world-class percussionist who has been deaf since the age of 12.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evelyn_Glennie

Jon, as always, you are full of knowledge. Thanks for the correction.
Old 10-12-2020, 05:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakingMusic View Post
…Sometimes it took a few people to figure out the lyrics.
Hi MM

And then we still got some of the wrong! There are endless debates about Loo-eye Loo-eye album lyrics (Richard Berry's Louie, Louie). And sometimes the people who 'wrote' the lyrics 'CHANGED' them when they recorded them!

It was a good day when album liners began including them. Interestingly copyright laws often preclude them from videos.

More cultures around the world have been teaching music without notation than with (even in these modern times the practice persists).

One of the things which drives playing by ear is the speed with which people are learning, performing and then discarding pop music. Faster than scores are produced.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 10-12-2020, 05:54 PM

Ok, who else has done this... you're covering a song, but no matter how many times you've listened to the lyrics you can't figure out a few words. None of the lyrics you Googled up make sense either. So you just sing some random syllables that sound kinda like the original but aren't even words.

... And nobody ever notices.
Old 10-13-2020, 09:45 PM

Among the people I play with, I am virtually the only one who uses notation. Although I have taught myself to also play by ear, I find notation much easier. I rarely play complex involved music, mostly folky stuff.

I got one gig playing a musical because I was the only guitarist the promoter could find who could read music. Then I got the music and it was in bass clef! What the hey? I never learned to read bass clef as no instrument I ever played needed it - not even the BASS clarinet I played in college concert band.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Goodman J45 Lutz/fiddleback Mahogany
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write