The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-20-2020, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GroovyException View Post
I've owned (and still own) a few low to mid end 'parlour' guitars (including 0's and 00's) from the likes of Ibanez, Alvarez, Eastman, Farida, Martin etc. Mostly 12-fret slotheads. They've been very much a mixed bag in terms of tone, quality and versatility with my Eastman (from the 2018 Ltd range) being the standout winner overall. I think a lot depends on the style of music you want to play on it. If you're a strummer, you may find the 0 or smaller bodied guitars to be rather brash and boxy. A 00 might be a better option.

WRT slotted headstocks, they do look cool but some people find them difficult to string up. If you're willing to forego the slothead, then maybe consider some of the Godin sub-brands such as Art & Lutherie and Simon & Patrick. If not, the Cordoba Leona might be an interesting option.
I did look at Seagull and A&L, but there were things I didn’t care for in the S6 I had that seem to carry over.

Now, the Cordoba Leona is a very interesting suggestion! I hadn’t considered a hybrid like this one. Many thanks for the great suggestions!
Emerald X30 Woody
Traveler EG-1 Custom
Old 09-20-2020, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintage40s View Post
I had a Martin D-35 since 1969 and went on a long search for second guitar that would be small.
In 2006 I got a Washburn Traveler, but it wasn't a real guitar and sounded awful.
In 2018 I got an Orangewood Dana parlor, nice for what it was, but not the sound I wanted.
In 2019 I got a Yamaha CSF3M "compact folk", very very nice, but still not quite the sound I wanted.
But it was wonderfully small and light with a gig bag, and the next two jumped up to hard cases.
Next was a Larrivee rosewood parlor, which sounded dead.
Then an Eastman rosewood parlor, which was perfect in every respect except it was more of an O size, and the neck and saddle string spacing was too wide for flat picking.
Meanwhile I had gotten an Eastman rosewood E20OM, only slightly larger than a parlor, but so good in sound and playability for finger and flat picking -- that it replaced the D-35 as my only guitar.
So, my long expensive search for a parlor -- ended up with an OM.
If I had to go back and keep a parlor, it would be the Yamaha CSF3M.
Wow, looks like you had them all! And I do love my Eastman OM. I wish the ATG1 wasn’t the same guitar in miniature, or I’d buy that one. Just want something a little different, and very small. I did like the Yamahas, but the scale is just a little longer than I want. Thanks for the reply!
Emerald X30 Woody
Traveler EG-1 Custom
Old 09-20-2020, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolD View Post
I did check out the PRS, but I didn’t like the tuners. I know, picky for an inexpensive guitar
not picky.
every aspect of a guitar is worth criticism or praise.
one has to prioritize, especially w lower cost instruments.
thx for feedback.
Old 09-20-2020, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandobart View Post
Teton was developed by a smallish SE Idaho music store chain, Chesbro and a Chinese company. I shopped at Chesbro a lot back in the early 80's while stationed in Idaho Falls (about three hours from the Teton mountains, or Yellowstone. Really an outdoor paradise there). Evidently they no longer met the requirements to sell a well-known US guitar brand, so they decided to develop their own brand.

My local music store recently started carrying Teton and I have been favorably impressed with what they have in the well-under-$1000 price point.
Thank you for this information! I tried to give their parlors a listen on YouTube, but there isn’t a whole lot out there about this brand. And Idahoans are way nice people!
Emerald X30 Woody
Traveler EG-1 Custom
Old 09-20-2020, 04:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
So, you might remember me as the confused beginner . I bought an Eastman E6OM, which I love dearly and have been playing daily for about 6 weeks now.

I also snagged a Seagull S6 Original and really didn’t like anything about it, so flipped it pretty much right away. Some folks here mentioned something about not acquiring too many cheap guitars, but I find myself really wanting to go the other way, size-wise. I’d like an inexpensive parlor that I can practice chords on the couch or throw in my car and take with me without thinking too much about it.

Soooo....my requirements are: 12 fret, short scale, slotted headset, not spruce top (would like to try something different), and under $400 bucks.

I think I’ve narrowed it down to an Alvarez AP66, but anyone have any other suggestions that I should be considering?

I’ve looked at the Yamaha CSF1, Breedlove Companion, there’s lots of Washburns, Eastman ATG1 (miniature of what I already have)....

Thank you as always. Did I mention how much fun I’m having
I have the AP66sb, neat little guitar.

Youtube! Please subscribe!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 09-20-2020, 04:27 PM

I had a Alvarez AP66SB and it was a great guitar. It took well to both fingers and pick. When I retired I trimmed down to my Gibson WM45 and Alvarez Folk 4 years ago. Don’t know much about the Teton’s other than what I’ve seen online, but my granddaughters boyfriend just got one about 2 months ago and loves it. But, they are in Wyoming and I’m in the Midwest and have never seen or played one.

I don’t think you can go wrong with the Alvarez.

Chris
Old 09-20-2020, 05:02 PM

I have an Alvarez MP610esb, 12 fretter, short scale, slotted head stock. Found it used for a great price and I like it a lot. I love my dreads but this little guy is a really fun change of pace now and then.
Old 09-20-2020, 05:07 PM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

I have owned and played a number of Alvarez parlors and they are outstanding examples of good sounding guitars. Recommend them.
Best,
Jayne
Old 09-20-2020, 05:26 PM
Charter Member

My wife had gotten me this tweed case for my Alvarez ap66sb a couple of years ago. Goes well with the vibe of the guitar.

Youtube! Please subscribe!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 09-20-2020, 07:42 PM

Quote:
I did like the Yamahas, but the scale is just a little longer than I want.
I believe the scale length on the Yamaha CSF1M is 23 5/8" and the Alvarez AP66 is 24".

This weekend was the first time I heard my CSF3M played by someone else and it sounded very nice. I already knew that I liked to play it myself.
Old 09-21-2020, 04:40 AM

"I’d like an inexpensive parlor that I can practice chords on the couch or throw in my car and take with me without thinking too much about it."

Dude, just get a GS mini and be done with it. Folks will quibble about the definition of "parlor", but it meets your stated likes perfectly.
Old 09-21-2020, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rpt50 View Post
"I’d like an inexpensive parlor that I can practice chords on the couch or throw in my car and take with me without thinking too much about it."

Dude, just get a GS mini and be done with it. Folks will quibble about the definition of "parlor", but it meets your stated likes perfectly.
Well, I’m a dudette and I just can’t wrap my head around the price of a GS Mini. No slotted headstock; 14 fret, not 12. The mini hog is also about $100 more than I want to spend. But thanks for the recommendation!
Emerald X30 Woody
Traveler EG-1 Custom

Last edited by CarolD; 09-21-2020 at 06:40 AM.
Old 09-21-2020, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollybrook View Post
I believe the scale length on the Yamaha CSF1M is 23 5/8" and the Alvarez AP66 is 24".

This weekend was the first time I heard my CSF3M played by someone else and it sounded very nice. I already knew that I liked to play it myself.
You’re absolutely correct. I don’t know why I thought it was longer scale. Sheesh. You look at soooo many little guitars and start to get yourself all spun around...lol! I’m going to give them another look, though the Alvarez seems to get good marks here.
Emerald X30 Woody
Traveler EG-1 Custom
Old 09-21-2020, 05:43 AM
Charter Member

Of the guitars you’ve mentioned, I believe the Alvarez is an excellent choice. That being said I do believe you’re doing yourself a bit of an injustice by writing off the Taylor GS Mini. I believe they’re the best sounding guitar in their price range. Build quality is excellent and they hold their value.
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 09-21-2020, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeX View Post
I'd strongly consider having this gent put something together for me for $500.

http://vintageparlorguitars.com/index.html
This is a very good suggestion.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion