The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 05-07-2013, 09:31 AM

Default Truly Idiots Guide to Logic/ Garageband?

I am trying to start recording with absolutely NO recording experience at all. I have a Mac with GB and have purchased the Logic Pro Suite.

I want to crawl before I run and have read through the manual, but find I am quickly overwhelmed and have yet to get anything reasonable on 'tape".

Is there a simple "getting started for complete idiots" guide out there?

I have been focused on starting with Logic, but am about to start playing with GB hoping it's a little easier and intuitive and then work back to Logic once I have it figure out.

Oh, and I do have a pretty good interface, so that's not a problem. I can definitely get a signal, it's just getting it to record without timing out, and then figuring out how to copy sections of track and either doubling, or inserting section after section (record one verse, chorus, bridge, and then copying and pasting into a complete song).

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Heath
Old 05-07-2013, 09:46 AM

You'd have to define "recording without timing out". I've never heard of that error.

As to editing. Garage Band is extremely limited in it's editing capabilities. If in fact editing is an important component to your work-flow I'd stay with Logic. In the end good editing is a combination of a learned skill and talent. As with anything that is a skill and a talent it takes a bit of a commitment. That said there's a bunch on "on-line" tutorials that are really pretty good. There's a couple really good on-line tutorial companies. Try Groove 3.
Old 05-07-2013, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Hanna View Post
As to editing. Garage Band is extremely limited in it's editing capabilities. If in fact editing is an important component to your work-flow I'd stay with Logic.
+1

This is the truth.

I use GarageBand on an iPad and it does "time-out" in as much as you cannot record for more than a few minutes (vs hours on my Mac), but I would never contemplate editing on it; I assume you're using a Mac since Logic is a possibility for you?

I transfer my takes to Logic and then edit in there. I use about 5% of the programs functionality, if that, and agree it can be awful if you are a noob. I got a Logic for idiots manual but - to be honest - a few hours in front of YouTube after searching "Logic Pro editing" will get you there.

cheers,
Steve
Old 05-07-2013, 10:52 AM

Thank you both very much for the advice. I have a lot of problems , but as my timing sucks, what I really want to do is be able to lay one good verse, chorus and bridge, and be able to create a complete song out of cutting and pasting, and I just can't figure that out.

I will invest some time on Youtube looking up Logic Pro Editing and see what I can find.

Thanks again.
Heath
Old 05-07-2013, 10:58 AM

I have Garageband and Logic Pro and I do all my stuff in Garageband. I would work within GB before trying Logic. There is an online training video site called Macprovideo.com that has a lot of stuff for both platforms. There is even a switching from GB to Logic tutorial.

My Soundcloud Page

https://soundcloud.com/membler-1

'68 D18
Martin 00-28VS Maury's Music Custom
Eastman Travel Guitar
Martin LX Travel Guitar
Greven 12 Fret FX
E20SS Eastman
00-15 Martin
Collings 000-2h
Gold Tone AC-6 6 string banjo
Voyage Air VAOM-02
'52 RI Tele
Old 05-07-2013, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhuffman View Post
Oh, and I do have a pretty good interface, so that's not a problem. I can definitely get a signal, it's just getting it to record without timing out, and then figuring out how to copy sections of track and either doubling, or inserting section after section (record one verse, chorus, bridge, and then copying and pasting into a complete song).
You've most likely got Logic Pro waiting on a MIDI interface you're not using.
Old 05-07-2013, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QBert View Post
You've most likely got Logic Pro waiting on a MIDI interface you're not using.
Interesting. Again, if that's correct, it's likely something that will screw me up for hours.
Old 05-07-2013, 03:42 PM

Default tutorials

I second the recommendation of 'membler' for Macprovideo. I started with Garage Band and after getting some acceptable results went with Logic Studio 2 (Logic 9) via Logic Express and Logic Studio (Logic 8) . In my case, it just took time and practice (and I'm still 'practicing'). I also found a good tutorial on mixing at the same place.
Old 05-08-2013, 06:15 AM

Last night I listened to video one of AreaRecordings' Introduction to Logic Pro series. It was 30 minutes and have the basics, plus some good tricks to set a template.

I played around with Logic after that and was able to figure out how to lay a single track. There are at least three more videos in the into series for 2 total hours, so I plan to watch those over the next few days.

I was looking for Macprovideo intro to Logic series, but could not find it for free. They seem to only have it on their pay site. Can anyone confirm that it is available for free? $20 seems like a lot of money for a single tutorial.......
Old 05-08-2013, 06:33 AM

Default Macprovideo

The Macprovideo training tutorials have multiple lessons. The Logic 101 has 210 lessons while the GB 11 has 75 lessons. If you click on 'outline' for a particular series the lessons show up and some of them can be previewed without charge. Once downloaded, you can return to a particular lesson time after time. I have no affiliation with Macprovideo. The tutorials have just helped me a lot.
Old 05-08-2013, 07:12 AM
Stiv123

Logic is massive overkill for what you're trying to do. GarageBand is built for exactly this task. It will fall short for other things, but if you want to record yourself, copy, paste, add tracks on top of tracks, add effects, etc., GarageBand will do the job nicely. In fact, some of the best home recordings I've ever heard have come from GB.
Old 05-08-2013, 02:37 PM

i disagree that logic is overkill. it can do very basic stuff to very detailed stuff. garageband is too basic and doesn't allow you to bounce tracks without going thru itunes, no editing, etc.
just take your time and start with an apple drum loop to keep your timing. then record over and over until you get it right, no matter whether it is a one minute song or a 10 minute song.
make sure to check the apple discussion forum for logic. a wealth of info there and people who have already gone thru what you are now doing.

here is the link to the logic forum:
https://discussions.apple.com/commun...categoryID=231

here is sf ninja and tons of his tutorials on logic:

http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...be.kBx0OYIGLQA

and, here is a google search of david nahmani's apple logic certification book if you would prefer a book. it is very well organized and walks you thru recording while you apply the information. david runs the logicprohelp forum which you should join also.

https://www.google.com/search?q=logi...=1804&bih=1058

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 05-21-2013, 05:18 AM

Hope I'm not too late jumping in but, check out the free recording classes held at your local Guitar Center.

It's a series of four and they teach either GarageBand or ProTools. Just an introduction but a great way to get started.

I'm using Mixcraft 5 on a PC which is VERY similar to GarageBand so the classed helped a lot.
Epiphone IBG J45
Yamaha FS800
Guild Pilot Bass
Guild Flamed Maple Jumbo Junior
Guild Flamed Maple Jumbo Junior Bass
Recording King Dirty 30's Mando
Frankensquier P Bass
Squier Bullet Telecaster
Old 05-21-2013, 06:00 AM

Stay with Logic, learn what you need as you need it. Most people use only a small portion of its capabilities.

Good luck!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD