The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 06-03-2010, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokiehat View Post
1) you don't measure sound in 'pounds'.

2) The whole point of near field monitoring is to reduce undesirable influence of the room on the sound you hear from the speakers. If you listen 3 feet away from your head, you hear less room reflection/reverberation. If you sit back a couple more meters (assuming your room is even that big) then you start to catch flutter echos and reverb unless the room has very controlled acoustics.

In practice there are many other things to think about but the term comes from the recording industry practise of putting small speakers on the meter bridge to simulate a point source that is within the 'near field' of the sound board operator (i.e. at or just beyond arm's reach when leaning over your desk).

3) You don't ever want to listen at 'killer levels' because you will destroy your ears.

4) If you destroy an amp you gotta replace it. It doesn't matter if you have actives or passives. If you have a spare amp lying around matched to your speakers then whats the difference with having spare active monitors lying around if you destroy your actives? More particularly, why are you blowing speakers and killing amps in the first place if you are driving them at reasonable listening levels?
Just for jokes, try a Google search on "Rick Ruskin" - or just click on the link in his signature.

I'm pretty sure he knows what "near field" means.

Fran
The Homebrewed Music Blog
Old 06-03-2010, 12:48 PM

Authority belief is a bunch of crap. Super qualified people can be and often are wrong. People can know what they are doing and be completely incapable of explaining how same works to a laymen. The only point to my response was to set the record straight for the original poster. You know, just so he doesn't go away thinking that you actually measure sound in 'pounds' and gets this weird idea into his head that he should buy absolutely massive main monitors for his 4mx4m bedroom. I know that you know that.

Last edited by Pokiehat; 06-03-2010 at 01:01 PM.
Old 06-03-2010, 02:03 PM
Charter Member

Just be helpful people - no pissing contests.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 06-03-2010, 03:00 PM
Charter Member

Default Aloha Matt - Used May Be The Best Value For You

Aloha Matt,

I already mentioned the Yamaha HSS80M's which are the best sounding monitors in your price range ($500-650 street), IMO, that I have heard.

The smaller Yamaha HSS50's are also very nice, but may need a sub if your mixes get louder, more electric, bassier or busier.

Other brands in your price range are KRK RP8 G2, some JBL's (I think 2325 or so), M-Audio, Alesis, Behringer and Fostex.

KRK's, though I can't recommend them for sound myself, ARE in your price range and many really like them (it's one of Sweetwater's Best Sellers).

However, I would strongly encourage you to save up for a new or used pair of Adam A7's - which I've never seen listed under $900 anywhere because they hold their value so well. A pair of those would be worth saving up for, as I currently have been for awhile It has taken me over a year, with some setbacks to save, But I'm patient and persistent about things I want to get.

I know that you have monitors now, right? Stick with 'em awhile longer and save up an extra $500 or so, less for used, because those Adam A7's ARE simply amazing for their price.

All the Best!

A Hui Hou!
alohachris

Last edited by alohachris; 06-03-2010 at 03:30 PM.
Old 06-03-2010, 04:09 PM
Charter Member

Hey Folks!
Thanks again for all the advice! This seems to be a topic that can evoke some passionate responses and I can appreciate that but much of the details and specifics on studio info are sadly wasted on me! I know pretty much nothing about studio gear. (I have NO idea what a meter bridge is!)

I started messing with home recording in the midst of recording my 4th CD in a studio. I felt like I was always settling for something that didn't quite sound right to me because of the pressure of paying someone else to record my stuff.

I bought a Lexicon Omega, a cheap mic and a set of Tapco studio monitors and started messing around. I was able to get some OK sounding songs done in GarageBand and I learned a lot but I have no "formal" training and when people start talking "studio," it goes over my head.

I now use a RODE NTK mic for just about everything I do. It's probably not considered a great mic in the scheme of things but I like it and I can get useable vocal and guitar tracks with it.

As for monitors, I came up with what seemed like a bright idea about a year and a half ago. I wanted to get something better than my Tapcos and I was also shopping for an acoustic amp. Someone told me that Schertler stuff, in addition to sounding great live, could double as monitors in a studio due to their natural and transparent sound. So I bought a Schertler Unico and a Schertler Side extension speaker with the hopes of using them out at shows and also in the studio.

I haven't really ever used them live (I did once.) They do sound great in my little office/studio but I'm not sure how reliable they are for mixing. I'm working on determining that now by making mixes and playing those mixes on different systems. I know some folks have mentioned "learning" your speakers. Is it true that if I know how my mixes translate to other systems when mixed on my speakers, I could use what I have?

Either way, I bought a new guitar that wasn't in the budget and I figured it would probably be best to sell the Schertler stuff, put some of that money toward the new guitar and use the rest to get speakers that are designed for mixing. (What would folks in the know say about using the Schertler stuff as monitors? Is that the worst idea ever or is it doable? They really do sound great!)

So that's where I am now. I used the Schertler stuff along with my headphones to mix a simple song today and so far it sounds good on the one home stereo I tried but I still think I'd be better off with dedicated monitors. The trouble is, I can't think of getting said monitors until the Schertler stuff sells. I have it listed here on the AGF and on the DC Craigslist but I'm not getting any responses despite the hugely discounted price.

I am definitely intrigued by the Adam Audio A7's. I have read a ton of good reviews on those. We are moving in a few weeks to a town with NO serious music stores. Before I go I might take a trip to a Guitar Center and at least try to hear as many monitors as possible with my focus being on those makes and models mentioned here.

Again, I really appreciate all the help.

Matt
Old 06-03-2010, 04:42 PM

I would rather use stereo speakers from a manufacturer that strives for accuracy than the speakers form a high quality acoustic guitar amplifier. In fact some studios do use stereo speakers. Abbey Road Studios uses B&W 800 speakers for some monitoring functions which pleases me to no end since I have a pair of 802s. The 800s are very expensive but there are much less expensive stereo speakers that are as accurate as many studio monitors.
Old 06-04-2010, 07:30 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb Hunter View Post
I would rather use stereo speakers from a manufacturer that strives for accuracy than the speakers form a high quality acoustic guitar amplifier.
Are you referring to home stereo speakers? The Schertler stuff seemed like a good idea at the time and I love the way they sound. I mixed a song yesterday on them. The song consisted of 2 different acoustic guitar parts, vocals and bass. I found out that the way the bass sounded on the Schertler stuff did not translate well to either my or my wife's car stereo. The bass would sound fine on the Schertlers, nice and full but not over powering but was WAY too much on the car stereos.

So how can I tell if a particular stereo speaker is built to "strive for accuracy?" I'm assuming that most speakers that are designed as studio monitors are going to claim to be accurate and whether those claims are true or not will depend on who is listening.

Are there companies that manufacture stereo speakers who claim that their speakers are accurate?

Can you tell how little I know about all of this?

Matt
Old 06-04-2010, 08:37 AM

Matt,

I was an Admin on a home theater forum for years. Yes there are very accurate HiFi speakers but it's the old "you get what you pay for", really good HiFi speakers are expensive just like really good studio monitors.

Some folks use Mackies as HT/HiFi speakers and Dynaudio has good offerings in both arenas. Nearfields are intended for close listening and part of that is to help minimize room "effects".

If you can find a GC that has a Pro Audio department, you can audition Mackie, JBL, KRK, Genelec, Sony, Dynaudio and my favorite Adam Audio. Even if most are out of your budget range you will hear the differences and can make decisions to spend within the current budget or save for better if you fall in love with something. Have fun "shopping"

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Martin OM-18 Authentic '33 Adirondack/Mahogany
Martin CS OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar
Martin CS 00-42 Adirondack/Madagascar
Martin OM-45TB (2005) Engelmann/Tasmanian Blackwood (#23 of 29)
Old 06-04-2010, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by open-road-matt View Post
Are you referring to home stereo speakers? ...
Yes, the better ones.

Quote:
...Are there companies that manufacture stereo speakers who claim that their speakers are accurate?
Yes, some that come to mind are the aforementioned B&W and KEF. Their speakers don't have built-in power amplifiers so they would require a separate power amp and the total cost would exceed that of the KRK or M-Audio monitors within your present budget..
Old 06-07-2010, 07:24 AM

Consider a used pair of Event ASP8s - http://cgi.ebay.com/Event-Precision-...item1c130f5258
Old 06-15-2010, 06:38 AM

Default nearfields

I had the mackies - too big for my small room
Got the Dynaudio BM5A's loved em
Got a chance to pick up a Blue Sky system one 2.1 (with sub) and haven't looked back. Perfect for my small room and well balanced - soft and loud

I still have the BM5A's and side by side they are similar and they still have good bass for their size. Maybe I will use them for my keyboard setup when I move to a bigger room later this year.

It helps to listen to some things you like to listen too and even something of your own on some high quality systems and then just pull the trigger and get going.
Woolson LG
Woolson OM (Special Bracing/Double Top)
Bashkin SJ-12
Baranik Retreux Parlor
H&D 00-SP Cedar
John Kinnaird Hi-Strung Guitar
Old 06-17-2010, 12:27 PM
Charter Member

Thanks again for all the help.

A quick update:

I've had a chance to hear the Adam Audio A7's. It wasn't a thorough test. I was at a Guitar Center with my son (2 1/2) and I figured I could listen to a couple of speakers. He loves music and I figured he'd just dance around while I did a very quick comparison. It took the guy forever to get them going. He played part of one song and they sounded great! He jumped to another song that was SO loud it scared my son and hurt his ears. so that was the end of that!

I also got to hear the Dynaudio BM15A's. Those were fantastic but WAY out of my price range right now.

One pair that I've been eyeing up are the JBL LSR2328P's:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/LSR2328P/

Does anyone have any experience with these or can anyone offer any thoughts an opinions on these speakers. I was told they are a good speaker for the money. I'd be curious as to how much better some of the different speakers are if I could jump up to something at $1k. (like the A7's, the Dynaudio BM5A's, etc.)

We are moving Monday so my chance to hear a bunch of these in person is rapidly disappearing. I will have to order different speakers, try them out and then take advantage of return policies in order to find a set I like so any info anyone can provide.

Thanks again!
Matt
Old 06-19-2010, 03:42 PM
Charter Member

Default Hey Matt, Take a Break Froming Packing For A Moment

Aloha Matt,

It's Sunday here in the Islands. Howzit near Baltimore? Muscles aching a bit by now? Where ya movin' to, Matty?

Right Now. there's a guy named asknone9 on Gearslutz from Orlando who's selling his new Yamaha HS80M monitors - in your price range and I think a good value. I like 'em. He claims they've never been used, still in da box.

Take a quick break from packing here if can and Check this out:
__________________________________________________ ____________
FS: Yamaha HS80M Monitors

Pair of HS80Ms, purchased about a month ago and never used. Only taken out of the boxes for about ten minutes to make sure they were working fine, and then sealed up again.

Asking $525 plus shipping, which is, at most, $45 per speaker (calculated from Orlando to Los Angeles, uninsured) via UPS Ground. If you want to request a different carrier, or setup a pickup yourself, maybe because you can get a better price, that's perfectly fine with me.

Let me know if you have any questions. Thanks!
__________________________________________________ _____________

I know, you probably can't get to it just now. But it's just a thought, Matt.

Good Luck with your move and new home,

A Hui Hou!
alohachris
Old 06-19-2010, 05:22 PM
Charter Member

Hey alohachris!
Good to hear from you as always. The packing is going well but just when I think I'm done, something else pops up!

We are moving to Duluth, MN! We are very excited about it. That puts us about 2.5 hours north of both my wife and my home town. Both our son's grandma's are there as is my sister. It will be good to be back "home."

I tried to find the classifieds on gearslutz. Do I have to be a logged in user to see those?

The speakers look good. I did some very quick searching and the reviews on these were positive.

Thanks for sharing!
Matt
Old 06-20-2010, 01:28 AM
Charter Member

Default Aloha Matt - Yeah, Just get a GS name & password!

Aloha Matt,

Just join GS, get a name & PW and the classifieds will show up in the blue drop down menu.

It's 10PM Sat. night here in Honolulu - 6 hours behind you. The HS80m's have not had a single hit yet, FYI. Yeah, check out those Yamaha speakers, Matt. Might be what you need at this time, at your price.

Always great to get home. Especially after the intensity of the Megalopolus, huh? Much better for the kids, IMO. Duluth's a nice town right on the lake, near all that gorgeous open country, lakes and of course, your families. Right on!

Just got home from a free Makana concert out on the water in Hawaii Kai (East Oahu). He's unbelievable! Check out his site, brah. Amazing brand of slack-key and spectacular voice. More unique "family" tunings than ever, with long bass player and great Latin percussionist. What a concert!

Makana is A VERY unusual talent who is popular all around the globe in 'world music' circles. But he learned kiho'alu from Uncle Sonny Chillngworth and has the link to the old styles - with his own brand of singing and musicianship. Check him out when you get settled, Matt.

The highlight was when an 80 y.o. birthday auntie - famous hula dancer and kumu hula - came up and danced a couple of very naughty old style nahe', nahe' Hawaiian "love" songs with Makana singing in Hawaiian (always double entendre in that language) and playing. Ho brah - chicken-skin to da max, brah! I'm still buzzing from it. She was so transformed and sexy too. Hard to imagine in an 80 year-old but the dance turned her into a 20 y.o. temptress back in the 50's again. You could see it in the joy on her face. A great reminder about love & desire in a simpler, more honest time.

All the best with Monday's big move, Matt. Safe drive home!

A Hui Hou!
alohachris

Last edited by alohachris; 06-20-2010 at 01:45 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD