The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-08-2018, 04:41 PM
Charter Member

Default Turbosound IP1000

I picked up a Turbosound IP1000 a couple weeks ago. Initially very impressed with it. It has 2 x 8" speakers in the sub, and 8 smaller 2.75" speakers in the tower with a 1 horn tweeter. There is an iOS interface to change volume for each channel, global EQ (Bass/Mid/treble). It also has some different room settings (Wall, floor, Corner, Live). Those settings might just modify the EQ curve but not sure if any other sort of DSP takes place.

The Tower is nice and loud and the sub works well when I play bass through it with my Duo.

I noticed however that if I have to stand super close to it, there is maybe a slightly strident uppder midrange tonality that can be a little hard. I need to try and tame the EQ a bit more. hard to beat for the money. But the jury is out. I've been using a Bose L1 compact for a couple years and if it errors at all, it can be a little scooped in the midrange perhaps. but I think it has a softer sweeter voice for my acoustic guitar.

Wondering if anyone else has used a Turbosound IP1000 and how you like yours?
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Fender CS '63 Telecaster Custom
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 01-09-2018, 09:55 AM
Charter Member

I'll answer my own post. LOL ...I really need to do an A-B demo at home so I can share a direct apples-to-apples comparison with the more natural, laid back presentation that the Bose L1 compact offers.

That said, I did a gig last night on the patio at a local resort and brought both the Bose L1 Compact and Turbosound IP1000. Because it was a live gig, I couldn't play the 'same' thing back-to-back or swap back and forth. But I did try the system through out the night.

Observations: TurboSound IP1000
1. Turbosound is very good and for the money, its GREAT. Even with EQ'ing, its a little brighter and more forward.
2. Standing right in front of it can be a little loud. It seems to behave more like a traditional speaker where it is louder and hotter up close, but falls off across the venue. So to get the volume I want to the 2nd row of tables/listeners, its a bit loud right next to me. (Compared to the Bose)
3. I hear more midrange ...which can be a good thing overall. The frequency response may be more even for the listeners, but it can be a little less pleasing to the performer up close.
4. the EQ via the iOS app on my iPhone 6S Plus makes it very convenient to use.
5. The Room settings change the sonic footprint and offer a myriad of nice options. Room, wall, Floor, Live
6. Its heavier to carry than the Bose, although not bad. But the tower is one large long array. there is a very nice form fitting/padded carry bag. (Additional cost, but it was inexpensive) $29?

All in all, I still find the Bose is more natural and pleasing with more even dispersion up close and across the venue. But the Turbosound is absolutely acquitting itself in other ways.

Here are a couple very different clips from my show yesterday.

TurboSound IP1000

Bose L1 Compact
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 01-09-2018, 10:07 AM

Gary ~ I'll pop in and say Hey!

Cool you are able to do some comparing in the live setting.

I just had a quick view/listen.
To me the 2nd video (Bose) sounded better... Warmer?

Great playing by the way...!
Old 01-09-2018, 10:41 AM

Great music dear sir!
The L1C sounds a lot more pleasant to me as well! I just hope Bose gives us a battery version some day for my outdoor needs
Old 01-09-2018, 11:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeStone View Post
Gary ~ I'll pop in and say Hey!

Cool you are able to do some comparing in the live setting.

I just had a quick view/listen.
To me the 2nd video (Bose) sounded better... Warmer?

Great playing by the way...!
Thanks for casting your vote. I completely agree. I like the Turbosound IP1000 but for many reasons, I love the Bose.

1. It sounds more natural to me. A LOT more natural.
2. nearfield monitoring is superb when I am right in front or next to it (super close proximity is normally my only option)
3. MUCH easier to carry. smaller/lighter sub and the tower breaks down into two pieces that makes carry a breeze.
4. Dispersion up close and across a venue is even and wonderful.
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 01-09-2018, 11:49 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by necrome View Post
Great music dear sir!
The L1C sounds a lot more pleasant to me as well! I just hope Bose gives us a battery version some day for my outdoor needs
I am also thinking Bose is long overdue for some updates or feature enhancements. Maybe Winter NAMM 2018 this month? Bose was discounted almost everywhere the month of December 2017. That made me wonder if maybe they are selling down their inventory of current models? Its been a LOOONG time since we've seen anything new from Bose in this regard.
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 01-09-2018, 01:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groberts View Post
Thanks for casting your vote. I completely agree. I like the Turbosound IP1000 but for many reasons, I love the Bose.
Thanks for all the posts on this. I was going to reply just to show signs of life, but since I haven't used the IP1000 didn't feel I had much to add.

I *did* recently acquire the L1 Compact and so far my reaction is a bit meh, though I recognize I haven't given it a fair shot. Main reason being I hate the idea of having to pay (now) around $500 for a Bose Tonematch mixer that doesn't get power from the system, something discussed at great length here. So I tried an outboard more generic mixer and it was better but still just okay. I also was able to generate feedback quite easily just with guitar, which surprised me.

But this was all a living-room test sans Tonematch. I'm returning the mixer (a neat Allen & Heath Zed 6FX I'm sure I didn't do justice to) and will be buying a used Tonematch off Guitar Center. Anyway I read all PA/amp system posts with great interest so thanks.

>>Edit: I am also thinking Bose is long overdue for some updates or feature enhancements. Maybe Winter NAMM 2018 this month? Bose was discounted almost everywhere the month of December 2017.<<

My understanding is that's a regular thing with them. I bought my Compact on the last day of the discount, off Sweetwater
Old 01-09-2018, 01:35 PM

If I remember right, Bose L1C is getting a very lame upgrade this year, just a Bluetooth addition =_=
Old 01-09-2018, 01:40 PM
Charter Member

Oh right, the Bluetooth on the Bose is nice, but not all that exciting. ****.
My Wish is for a larger, bigger performing version of the Bose L1 Compact. (That would power the Bose Tonematch mixer) but have the sub is an integral base unit for the tower (like the Compact) ...but with more drivers in the tower than the L1 Compact.

Basically, I wish Bose would make a larger "Compact". Or build the mixer into the unit to offer 4 channels.

Here is one more sound clip with TurboSound IP1000. Forgot I captured a piece of this song.

Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 01-09-2018, 03:04 PM

First off, excellent playing and singing! I'd love to listen to you.

I did a gig with a friend using his Turbosound. I really didn't care for it because of what I called a "high end sheen" that permeated the sound. It was harsh in that range. I didn't mess with his eq and he he didn't either, so I don't know if it was his settings or inherent to the unit. Despite its shortcomings, I prefer the sound of my JBL Eon One. But my Bose L1M2 is the best of the lot. I don't use it for the most part because I've tried to ease my load in / set up / load out due to health issues.
Old 01-09-2018, 03:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidE View Post
First off, excellent playing and singing! I'd love to listen to you.

I did a gig with a friend using his Turbosound. I really didn't care for it because of what I called a "high end sheen" that permeated the sound. It was harsh in that range. I didn't mess with his eq and he he didn't either, so I don't know if it was his settings or inherent to the unit. Despite its shortcomings, I prefer the sound of my JBL Eon One. But my Bose L1M2 is the best of the lot. I don't use it for the most part because I've tried to ease my load in / set up / load out due to health issues.
I hear that same hard / high end tonality in the Turbosound as well. Ironically, my Duo partner has a JBL Eon One Pro (the newer/smaller EON One). It sounds sweeter than the Turbo sound, but it is also $1499 and has volume limitations that are sometimes surprising. I will gig with my Bose L1 compact. But I'll probably keep the Turbosound IP1000 and will try them together sometime.
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 01-09-2018, 06:43 PM
Charter Member

Groberts, first of all thank you very much for posting those video clips, that's very helpful, both to compare units and as a real-world example of how close you stand to the units in tight quarters, not to mention an example of a volume level they both can be comfortably played at (comfortable for the room at least in both cases!). Very nice playing there.

One question and sorry if I missed it somewhere--are you using the Tonematch with the L1 Compact?
Old 01-09-2018, 07:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscom View Post
Groberts, first of all thank you very much for posting those video clips, that's very helpful, both to compare units and as a real-world example of how close you stand to the units in tight quarters, not to mention an example of a volume level they both can be comfortably played at (comfortable for the room at least in both cases!). Very nice playing there.

One question and sorry if I missed it somewhere--are you using the Tonematch with the L1 Compact?
Thanks for the compliment. Funny, I hear every weakness in my playing. I only shared because I felt I capture a decent recording of my real world sound.

I do not use a Tonematch. My guitar signal chain is:

Shure GLXD Wireless-> TC Helicon Harmony singer (Guitar pass thru) ->Fishman Platinum Pro EQ preamp - > Diamond ML JR Delay -> Boss Waza Chorus - > Boss RV-6 Reverb -> EHX 720 Stereo Looper (Used in Mono)

All that said, all pedals were off except for the Fishman Platinum Pro EQ preamp. That lets me shape my sound if needed for varying sonic spaces. Mostly set eq flat which sounds very identical to plugging in directly. I scooped the mids from Noon (Center detent) to 11 o'clock. Bass at Noon (Center detent) and Treble at Noon (Center), Brialliance rolled down to 10 o'clock.

In some venues, I am standing even a little bit closer to the Bose. That is when the Bose clearly is superior to the Turbosound. The Bose disperses evenly and the volume to the 2nd row of tables (20') is very similar to what I hear standing right in front of the Bose. In this regard, it is the best nearfield monitor I could hope for ..and doesn't rip my head off if I need more volume.

The Turbosound is more like a traditional loudspeaker. Its HOT right in front and volume falls off the further out you go. Its still very good, but not as even and friendly as the Bose. (if that makes sense?)
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 01-09-2018, 07:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groberts View Post
Thanks for the compliment. Funny, I hear every weakness in my playing. I only shared because I felt I capture a decent recording of my real world sound.

I do not use a Tonematch. My guitar signal chain is:

Shure GLXD Wireless-> TC Helicon Harmony singer (Guitar pass thru) ->Fishman Platinum Pro EQ preamp - > Diamond ML JR Delay -> Boss Waza Chorus - > Boss RV-6 Reverb -> EHX 720 Stereo Looper (Used in Mono)...
Wow that is *super* helpful detail, thanks so much for all of that. Taking notes! I've yet to run my Boss VE-8 through mine and by all accounts that should sound fine. I suspect it will be pushing things to simultaneously run another vocal + keyboard through it all at once, of my goals since my duo partner plays keyboards. It was neat to see, however, that the Tonematch includes a keyboard setting. I also heard a trio include keyboards through a Compact at a winery recently and it sounded fine--I'd say in the zone of, "you may care, but most of the audience doesn't."
Old 01-09-2018, 07:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscom View Post
Wow that is *super* helpful detail, thanks so much for all of that. Taking notes! I've yet to run my Boss VE-8 through mine and by all accounts that should sound fine. I suspect it will be pushing things to simultaneously run another vocal + keyboard through it all at once, of my goals since my duo partner plays keyboards. It was neat to see, however, that the Tonematch includes a keyboard setting. I also heard a trio include keyboards through a Compact at a winery recently and it sounded fine--I'd say in the zone of, "you may care, but most of the audience doesn't."
Point well taken about the crowd. What matters is the songs you play, your performance and if you're not too loud.

For what its worth, I've plugged in my acoustic direct to the 1/4" side of the Bose L1 Compact and it sounds great. The Tone match gives you more channels, effects, special settings etc. I haven't needed it.
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification