The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 01-03-2018, 10:04 AM
Schau_ins_Regal Schau_ins_Regal is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 253
Default Input Impendance Question

Hi,

I have a question to the electronics guys here.

Letエs say I have a K&K PWM and a Schertler Jam 100.

The K&K wants to see 1mOhm input impendance but the Schertler high-z inputs have 47kOhm.

What I read here several times is that many people just solder a 1mOhm resistor into the guitar cable from tip to ground.

I think in this case it wouldnエt change anything because the two resistors are now parallel which means the resulting resistance will be less than 47kOhm.

I think that 1mOhm should just be soldered to the lead of the jack but not to ground so that a series connection of the resistors is established.

Am I right or am I not seeing something here?
__________________
Goodall Grand Concert Italian spruce/EIR
Taylor GS-mini mahogany

In process of construction:
0-12 (own build)
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-03-2018, 10:18 AM
James May James May is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Nevada City, CA
Posts: 275
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schau_ins_Regal View Post
Hi,

I have a question to the electronics guys here.

Letエs say I have a K&K PWM and a Schertler Jam 100.

The K&K wants to see 1mOhm input impendance but the Schertler high-z inputs have 47kOhm.

What I read here several times is that many people just solder a 1mOhm resistor into the guitar cable from tip to ground.

I think in this case it wouldnエt change anything because the two resistors are now parallel which means the resulting resistance will be less than 47kOhm.

I think that 1mOhm should just be soldered to the lead of the jack but not to ground so that a series connection of the resistors is established.

Am I right or am I not seeing something here?
That would give you an impedance of 1.047Mohm, but you'd also be creating a 27dB attenuator, so not a good plan.
__________________
James May
Audio Sprockets
maker of ToneDexter
James May Engineering
maker of the Ultra Tonic Pickup
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-03-2018, 10:23 AM
Schau_ins_Regal Schau_ins_Regal is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 253
Default

Okay, so what would be the best solution in this situation?
__________________
Goodall Grand Concert Italian spruce/EIR
Taylor GS-mini mahogany

In process of construction:
0-12 (own build)
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-03-2018, 10:41 AM
martingitdave's Avatar
martingitdave martingitdave is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Chicago
Posts: 7,455
Default

K&K works well with anything from 400 to 1mOhm. This is from their own documentation. My advice... Do nothing. It probably won't sound any better (or possible any different at all) with a 500 kOhm change.
__________________
Martin D-28 Marquis
Martin Custom HD-28V Adirondack
Taylor 858E Deluxe

"Lift your head and smile at trouble." "You'll find happiness someday."
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-03-2018, 10:42 AM
MrErikJ MrErikJ is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 544
Default

An easier solution may be to add an active enpin preamp to your Pure Mini as I've never heard of a high-z input only being 47kohm. I've heard anything over 500k is sufficient for most passive pickups but 47k is pretty chill. To James' point, adding a resistor will attenuate your signal so your next best option (to me) besides changing the Schertler is preamping your signal before it reaches it. An endpin preamp or beltclip unit should buffer it enough to reduce any impedance issues.
__________________
Guild GAD-50 w/Baggs iBeam
Alvarez MD65 w/Baggs LB6
Alvarez MC90 w/Baggs LB6
Yamaha LL16 w/Bob Colosi bone-saddle LB6
Radial Tonebone PZ Pre & PZ Deluxe
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-03-2018, 10:52 AM
endpin endpin is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Posts: 280
Default

Attenuation and frequency response are the only two things you can change by messing around with resistors - What is the objective you want to achieve?

Personally, I wouldn't do anything to it.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-03-2018, 11:07 AM
Ed-in-Ohio's Avatar
Ed-in-Ohio Ed-in-Ohio is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Northeast Ohio, USA, Planet Earth
Posts: 3,538
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
K&K works well with anything from 400 to 1mOhm. This is from their own documentation. My advice... Do nothing. It probably won't sound any better (or possible any different at all) with a 500 kOhm change.
Totally agree. All this impedance talk is mostly the Emperor's New Clothes. Plug it in and play...I bet it sounds killer.
__________________
2002 Martin D-15 - FOR TRADE

2017 Alvarez Artist AJ80CE Maple Jumbo - Marilyn
c.1966 Regal Sovereign R235 Jumbo - Old Dollar
2009 Martin 000-15 - Brown Bella
2016 Alvarez Artist AF610EBK Folk - Mister Crow
1977 Gibson MK-35 - Apollo
2015 PRS SE Standard 22
Think Hippie Thoughts...
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-03-2018, 11:09 AM
Schau_ins_Regal Schau_ins_Regal is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 253
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
K&K works well with anything from 400 to 1mOhm. This is from their own documentation. My advice... Do nothing. It probably won't sound any better (or possible any different at all) with a 500 kOhm change.
you mean from 400 Ohms or from 400 kOhms?
__________________
Goodall Grand Concert Italian spruce/EIR
Taylor GS-mini mahogany

In process of construction:
0-12 (own build)
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-03-2018, 11:11 AM
martingitdave's Avatar
martingitdave martingitdave is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Chicago
Posts: 7,455
Default Input Impendance Question

K ohms. Typing on phone. Sorry. Also, I thought you said your amp was 470 kOhm, not 47 kOhm. I was on the go. If you want to match impedance you値l probably need an active/preamp or DI. However, I think Schertler is supposed to sound very good with K&K straight in.
__________________
Martin D-28 Marquis
Martin Custom HD-28V Adirondack
Taylor 858E Deluxe

"Lift your head and smile at trouble." "You'll find happiness someday."

Last edited by martingitdave; 01-03-2018 at 01:47 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-03-2018, 06:02 PM
Doug Young's Avatar
Doug Young Doug Young is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Mountain View, CA
Posts: 5,929
Default

47K ohms is unlikely to sound good with K&K. People who try the resistor trick are trying to lower a 10 M impedance down to K&K's claimed 1M. In reality, anything over 500K or so will work fine with K&K (including 10M or even 20M) in my experience. However, below 500K you will start hearing low end roll off. 47K is likely to be pretty thin sounding. This amp would work fine with active pickups that have low impedance outputs, it's unlikely to sound good with a passive piezo. Of course, depending on what you like, you never know. Some people's objection to K&Ks is too much bass, and 47K would definitely solve that!

BTW, here's an impedance test I did a while back with various impedances. I don't have a 47K example, but I have 330K and 10K. 47K would be in-between, closer to the 10K. (10K is the 3rd sample in the list)



impedance sequence: 1M, 10M, 10K, 1M, 20M, 330K
__________________
Doug Young
----------------
Music on Pandora
You Tube Channel
website: http://www.dougyoungguitar.com
Fingerstyle Christmas Tunes: A DADGAD Christmas
CDs: Closing Time, Laurel Mill
Pickup tests: http://www.dougyoungguitar.com/pickuptests/
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 01-03-2018, 07:05 PM
lschwart lschwart is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 2,497
Default

Such a low input impedance on the "High-Z" inputs on an amp designed to be used with amplified acoustic guitars seems like an odd design choice, given that many guitars have passive piezo pickups that wouldn't sound good into an input like that. Are we sure that that's actually the right figure for the input? I can't get clear information poking around on line, but several sources indicate that the high-z inputs have a "bootstrap" design that adapts the impedance to the nature of the signal.

Bottom line: try it first. If it sounds good, it's likely because it's designed to work properly with a signal like the one that comes from a K&K mini. It would be odd if it weren't so designed--although it's possible, I suppose. If it does sound bad, and you don't want to get a different amp, get a preamp or EQ pedal with at least a 1mOhm impedance to buffer the signal. Or a DI box to go into one of the mic inputs.

Louis
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01-03-2018, 07:22 PM
Doug Young's Avatar
Doug Young Doug Young is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Mountain View, CA
Posts: 5,929
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lschwart View Post
Such a low input impedance on the "High-Z" inputs on an amp designed to be used with amplified acoustic guitars seems like an odd design choice, given that many guitars have passive piezo pickups that wouldn't sound good into an input like that. Are we sure that that's actually the right figure for the input?
I actually think that outside of AGF, passive piezo pickups are rare. There are zero (not 100% sure, but almost certain) guitars sold commercially (Taylor, Martin, etc) with passive pickups. 99.9% of the market (to make up a number) is active pickups. Passive pickups like K&K are almost entirely the domain of DIY enthusiasts who are customizing their guitars. The one type of passive pickup that is fairly common is magnetics, and 47K is a good match for those.

I do find it to be telling when a company doesn't provide good specs. I know Schertler is a reputable company, but pro-quality gear generally provides detailed specs. When I see specs that only say things like "high impedance", a voice whispers "run the other way". (I have heard good things about the Jam 100's tho - they appear to be nice amps)
__________________
Doug Young
----------------
Music on Pandora
You Tube Channel
website: http://www.dougyoungguitar.com
Fingerstyle Christmas Tunes: A DADGAD Christmas
CDs: Closing Time, Laurel Mill
Pickup tests: http://www.dougyoungguitar.com/pickuptests/
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 01-03-2018, 07:28 PM
lschwart lschwart is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 2,497
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
I actually think that outside of AGF, passive piezo pickups are rare. There are zero (not 100% sure, but almost certain) guitars sold commercially (Taylor, Martin, etc) with passive pickups. 99.9% of the market (to make up a number) is active pickups. Passive pickups like K&K are almost entirely the domain of DIY enthusiasts who are customizing their guitars. The one type of passive pickup that is fairly common is magnetics, and 47K is a good match for those.

I do find it to be telling when a company doesn't provide good specs. I know Schertler is a reputable company, but pro-quality gear generally provides detailed specs. When I see specs that only say things like "high impedance", a voice whispers "run the other way". (I have heard good things about the Jam 100's tho - they appear to be nice amps)
You may be right. The lack of clear specs is certainly surprising.

Louis
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 01-03-2018, 08:37 PM
themissal's Avatar
themissal themissal is offline
TooManyGuitars
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 4,634
Default

I definitely am one who does not believe the k&k impedance issue is nothing. I have two k&k guitars, I gig in bars with them, and their sound is fantastic with the right setup.

Choices?

1. K&k preamps
2. Fire eye red eye preamp
3. Used older Boss Tuner pedal. $50 or a used TU-3Wazacraft ($80)
__________________
Videos:
https://www.youtube.com/user/salfromchatham/videos

Soundcloud:
https://soundcloud.com/salfromchatham

覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧

Last edited by themissal; 01-03-2018 at 08:48 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 01-03-2018, 09:12 PM
Doug Young's Avatar
Doug Young Doug Young is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Mountain View, CA
Posts: 5,929
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by themissal View Post
I definitely am one who does not believe the k&k impedance issue is nothing. I have two k&k guitars, I gig in bars with them, and their sound is fantastic with the right setup.
The effects of impedance on passive piezo pickups is absolutely real. But people often get confused about it, and there seems to be a bit of marketing designed to confuse people. James May posted one of the clearest technical descriptions I've seen here recently, so it's worth looking that up. But for K&K's, it's pretty simple, and comes down to anything above around 500K (+/-) is fine, including the 1M, 5M, 10M, 20M, etc. Below 500K or so, you start losing low end. Above that, it makes no discernable difference (you might want to be careful with very long, low quality cables at very high impedances, tho). There are lots of anecdotal reports that contradict that, but it's always with different preamps, different brands, different gain structures, etc. It's not surprising that different products sound different, but there's more to preamps than impedance, and two different designs are, well, different. Get a preamp with variable impedance, like the Grace Felix, and you will be able to compare apples to apples and see when impedance matters and and when it doesn't without changing 100 other variables at the same time.

Of course in the end, it all comes down to "does product X sound good to me". I've yet to encounter a preamp or amp that sounds noticably "bad" with a K&K. Some seem to sound better (with any pickup), but I've never seen anything to indicate that the reason was impedance (unless the impedance was very low, like 47K).
__________________
Doug Young
----------------
Music on Pandora
You Tube Channel
website: http://www.dougyoungguitar.com
Fingerstyle Christmas Tunes: A DADGAD Christmas
CDs: Closing Time, Laurel Mill
Pickup tests: http://www.dougyoungguitar.com/pickuptests/
Reply With Quote
Reply

  The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Thread Tools



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:21 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, The Acoustic Guitar Forum
vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=