The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-05-2017, 08:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pecx View Post
He decided to sent it back after he compared the two products.

As Dragonfly wrote, those were the reasons:

"I returned the One Pro because of the high-pitched noise I was hearing in the speakers, but if I didn't hear that, the weirdness of the mixer and the mushy bass would have been enough to try something else."
I guess I missed where he stated the exact timeline. For example his statement you quoted above, gives reason for return , not chronology of events nor indicate a side by side comparison .
I understood his reasons which were distinctly clarified.... (And I am assuming he compared them side by side) but I did not see where the exact timeline of events is specified . But I certainly could have missed something

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 10-05-2017 at 08:52 AM.
Old 10-05-2017, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuki79 View Post
Congratulation Dragonfly

did you try the expert mode on the ipad app?

The ipad app can have easy mode with simple EQ and one-knob compressor on each channel or full parametrics, low cut, high shelf...

Can you comment on the horizontal spread? The French magazine said the HK was better than the 1st eon one.
I am using the app in expert mode. It is awesome to be able to dial in tone without external devices. It really does make it an all in one simply because of the eq options. No pedals needed to fix gain issues or to find the right EQ. I could definitely show up with just my guitar, my mic, and the Nano 608i and be set.

Both the One Pro and Nano 608i filled the rooms I played in. I didn't focus on the spread as much as I focused on the sound and the abilities of the mixer to create the sound I was looking for, though I can say that when walking around the room I didn't feel that I was losing anything on the edges. The only place I noticed a difference is when getting closer to the full towers you lose the fullness because the sub is at your feet and the tops are above your head - which if you lower the towers both devices can overcome this for a closer audience. So no definitive answer for horizontal spread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuomo_ View Post
It looks like JBL Eon Pro is a completely failed product. This will tell at least two guys who have tested the device. Is this the last word, or is there some positive experience of using the amplifier?

I personally play acoustic guitar and also backing guitar with electric guitar. External effects are in use with Boss VE-8 and Mooer 100 Multiefect. The show usually has 10 to 80 people and the genre is folk / blues. It would be very interesting to use battery power. Now I have HK Audio Lukas nano 300 which works fine.

The JBL Eon One Pro will arrive here in Europe one month later. I've already ordered it. Hopefully, despite the negative feedback, the device works.
Well, I'm only one opinion and I would take it as that until more reviews come in. I think the sound of the One Pro is good though the bass is not as tight as I would have liked. This was the same with the One, though I think the One Pro is worse. If you do not have to rely on the mixer for gain or EQ and you need a battery then the One Pro will work out for you. It isn't a complete fail.

Another option, if you are wary of the One Pro, is to look into a battery solution for the Nano 300. I saw a YouTube video of a busker who was using a GolfBuddy battery to power her Bose Compact and a Mic Mechanic pedal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
I have been following this thread with great interest as I have been contemplating selling my Fishman SA220
So just to make sure I am understanding correctly, you sent back the JBL after receiving the HK and comparing directly side by side Yes?
I did not compare them side-by-side. I don't like to hold on to stuff I'm supposed to return because of Murphy's law. I did keep the One Pro an extra day to play it in different places in my home to see how it sounded. I played in those same places 4 days later with the Nano 608i. While I can't say I have the best memory, I have been playing in my home for a long while and I remember what I like and don't like. The biggest difference was the mixer which I didn't need a side-by-side for that. The differences in the subs were clear as day even 4 days later. I found both to have very good, clear tops.

The draw of the One Pro is the all-in-one system and the battery. Again if you do not rely on the One Pro's mixer for gain and EQ and you need/want a battery then it should work out. The two I received from the same seller has some high pitched noises which I couldn't overlook. This may not be the case with all of the One Pros.

Last edited by dragonfly66; 10-05-2017 at 10:51 AM.
Old 10-05-2017, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
I guess I missed where he stated the exact timeline. For example his statement you quoted above, gives reason for return , not chronology of events nor indicate a side by side comparison .
I understood his reasons which were distinctly clarified.... (And I am assuming he compared them side by side) but I did not see where the exact timeline of events is specified . But I certainly could have missed something
You probably didn't understand what I said. I tried to say that he did compare the products (not that was a side by side comparison). He had the JBL since last week and recieved the HK this week.
Old 10-05-2017, 12:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfly66 View Post
I did not compare them side-by-side. I don't like to hold on to stuff I'm supposed to return because of Murphy's law. I did keep the One Pro an extra day to play it in different places in my home to see how it sounded. I played in those same places 4 days later with the Nano 608i. While I can't say I have the best memory, I have been playing in my home for a long while and I remember what I like and don't like. The biggest difference was the mixer which I didn't need a side-by-side for that. The differences in the subs were clear as day even 4 days later. I found both to have very good, clear tops.
Ok thanks for the clarification
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pecx View Post
You probably didn't understand what I said. I tried to say that he did compare the products (not that was a side by side comparison). He had the JBL since last week and recieved the HK this week.
Your right I did not understand what you said, given I had specifically stated "side by side" in my post, that you appeared to be replying to.
Unfortunately any comparison of "sound" (which is an intangible ) unlike the feature set (which is tangible ) not done side by side, even though it "could possibly" represent some level of accuracy, it also carries the potential for time differential memory inaccuracy and is not as valid as side by side. Which is why I was asking for specific clarification. Which we now have. So moving on

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 10-05-2017, 07:26 PM

Yes, I noticed that you didn't understand what I tried to say. Probably my fault. Should've explained better what I wanted to transmit.

In this type of situation and issues, I don't think that a memory inaccuracy changes anything.
Anyway, if several days had elapsed between the tests, that could probably generate some memory inaccuracies. But in this case, no such thing happened.
Old 11-06-2017, 10:40 AM
Charter Member

Update on JBL EON One Pro. My band mate received one several weeks ago and while it was favorable, the noise that others mentioned presented itself and there was also some distortion. So the Rep at Sweetwater offered to send a replacement with plenty of time to evaluate.

The new JBL Eon One Pro arrived and we gigged with it last night. In one word it was "Superb". Duo gig. I played bass straight into one channel on 75% of our music. (My duo partner plays acoustic guitar and we both sing) We went straight into the mixer. Volumes on the JBL Mixer were at Noon and plenty for this steakhouse gig. We have plenty more range on the volume knobs to deliver the volume level owe need. (We both have active preamps on our pedal boards for our guitars. We use Sennheiser e935 vocal mics. (No extra preamps or mixers)

Normally we use Bose L1 Compact and also bring a small mixer. So last night was the maiden voyage gig ...going straight into the mixer.

We stood 3 feet in front and the JBL Eon One Pro in between us. The tone and quality of sound was excellent. Can't wait to try it again.

The one thing it offers that no other system seems to is the ease of transporting. all-in-one. and the Subwoofer low end outperforms the Bose L1 Compact.

I am now tempted to buy one for myself so we can gig a pair of these. How about that?
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Fender CS '63 Telecaster Custom
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 01-06-2018, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groberts View Post
Update on JBL EON One Pro. My band mate received one several weeks ago and while it was favorable, the noise that others mentioned presented itself and there was also some distortion. So the Rep at Sweetwater offered to send a replacement with plenty of time to evaluate.

The new JBL Eon One Pro arrived and we gigged with it last night. In one word it was "Superb". Duo gig. I played bass straight into one channel on 75% of our music. (My duo partner plays acoustic guitar and we both sing) We went straight into the mixer. Volumes on the JBL Mixer were at Noon and plenty for this steakhouse gig. We have plenty more range on the volume knobs to deliver the volume level owe need. (We both have active preamps on our pedal boards for our guitars. We use Sennheiser e935 vocal mics. (No extra preamps or mixers)

Normally we use Bose L1 Compact and also bring a small mixer. So last night was the maiden voyage gig ...going straight into the mixer.

We stood 3 feet in front and the JBL Eon One Pro in between us. The tone and quality of sound was excellent. Can't wait to try it again.

The one thing it offers that no other system seems to is the ease of transporting. all-in-one. and the Subwoofer low end outperforms the Bose L1 Compact.

I am now tempted to buy one for myself so we can gig a pair of these. How about that?

You should try pushing it like you might need it at a louder gig. It might hit its limits earlier than you expect.
Old 01-07-2018, 09:42 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidE View Post
You should try pushing it like you might need it at a louder gig. It might hit its limits earlier than you expect.
That is exactly true. Tried it and it hits its limit as all gear does when you approach or exceed its threshold for best performance. Sadly, the EON One Pro promises to deliver more than it achieves in my opinion and experience.
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Fender CS '63 Telecaster Custom
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 03-21-2019, 03:23 PM

Default JBL EON ONE Pro

Reviving this old thread to offer some new insights.

Like Dragonfly66, I purchased the HK Nano 608i and have used it with success the past year. A situation presented itself where I would need to leave my 608i for an expended period of time for our club. We are pairing it with an outboard digital mixer and the results are excellent.

I’m using the Bose S1 Pro at home for rehearsals. However, after committing to this new arrangement, another opportunity presented itself to do some gigs as a duo with a new playing partner. It’s going to be inconvenient to retrieve the 608i for those gigs. Many events will occur at the same time.

I started considering some other options, including getting a second S1 Pro, Bose L1, etc. I need only 4 channels and moderate volume. I decided to take advantage of a 40% off local sale on a new JBL Eon One Pro. By the time I got there, they had sold out. So, they ordered me a new one. I have not gigged this unit. I’ve only had 30 minutes total to play with it before leaving for an appointment.

Overall, the 608i is a better (louder) system. If you are going to invest in one system, I would recommend it. But, after the brief test I can say there are a few advantages to the JBL Eon One Pro over HK Nano 608i.

1. Form factor and setup. You really want/need the S pole for the 608i. The S pole threads are easy to strip - this comes from experience.

2. Weight. This JBL is much easier to carry around with one hand. Much easier.

3. The High Z on the JBL sounds much better than the instrument setting for the 608i when using a passive pickup like a K&K. I never liked the sound of a passive pickup into the 608i. Active systems sound lovely. But, you really need a DI box or preamp.

4. Ease of quick changes. Knobs are actually kind of nice to have as long as you don’t need mid fequency control.

5. Battery.

So far, mine is not hot, nor is it exhibiting the problem that units with defective lithium ion batteries were exhibiting. If you don’t need a super loud system (100 - 105 dB) and you need 4 channels, high Z, phantom power, a USB charger, under 40 lbs (one hand carry), and 6 hours of battery use, I do think it’s worth consideration. I will report back if I experience ANY of the problems others have reported. But, I understand that there were a batch of defective batteries in many of the initial stock offered for sale.

Cheers!

Last edited by martingitdave; 03-21-2019 at 03:58 PM.
Old 03-21-2019, 05:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
Reviving this old thread to offer some new insights.
Cool, looking forward to how gigging with it goes. I gather you don't find the gain staging to be a problem--I seem to recall long discussions about one of the signal paths, was it the Mic setting, being a bit tame.

Also glad to hear about success with your Nano 608i. I sense it didn't catch on much in the U.S., based on my noticing a few months ago it was no longer stocked in two or three of the venues I habitually check. (I don't mean to ding the system, lots of great products don't set the world on fire).
Old 03-21-2019, 07:14 PM

Default JBL EON ONE Pro

I suspect the 608i will be refreshed soon. Maybe summer NAMM?

Gain staging is an issue with this unit like a lot of the other systems. One thing Fishman and Bose do well is providing enough preamp gain. Basically, with this unit, a dynamic mic will be the lowest common denominator. So, you have to setup the system to gain stage the mic first at the gig. Then, the guitar will have to be staged to match the mic. If you use a pedal systems like TC Play Acoustic, you’ll have no worries. Some people have reported issues with the system that I (so far - knock on wood) haven’t experienced. A few folks have reported great results in moderate volume applications. If my home testing is indicative of how it will go when I play out, I’m hopeful.

In case anyone is wondering, the USB power is not enough to power a pedal like Play Acoustic or ToneDexter with an adaptor. I tired. :-). You would need another source of battery. It should charge a phone or tablet, however.

Last edited by martingitdave; 03-21-2019 at 07:23 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification