The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 04-21-2017, 03:41 AM

I can't for the life of me understand why you would want the looper volume to be lower than the normal output of the input guitar that made it. The setting on the VIP acoustic is usually set so overdubs are reduced however so it doesn't all become a mess.

Last edited by Kerbie; 10-28-2017 at 04:15 AM. Reason: Edited
Old 09-29-2017, 12:37 AM

Hi, was hoping some one could please help.

I can't seem to get my Ve-8 to action my FS-6 external footswitch correctly.

Only switch B works, I have them set as per the manual; Middle plug, polarity left, momentary.

I have found the settings within the VE-8 and can adjust B to stop the loop.

I bought the FS-6 as I'd like to have loop selector (vocal/guitar) on one and stop loop on the other.

Thanks, Travis
Old 01-13-2018, 09:40 AM

Smile Question on external foot switch

It says in the manual that you can connect a Boss FS-5U, but it doesn’t specifically mention the 5L (latch style). Anyone know if it is okay to use the 5L? If so, do you have to mod the VE-8 in any way?

Thanks in advance!
Old 01-14-2018, 04:15 AM

An older thread, but I will recap on my enjoyment of the Boss - I had the TC PA and when the Boss came out, I headed to an electro type shop that stocked them, bought it, had it working moments after it was home it is so easy with the knobs to do the settings.

I don’t alter much except levels - all I really wanted was a few treatments like you do when recording.....small splash of reverb and delay on the vocals and guitar. I could superglue most settings I use. But I run it direct by the XLRs to a mixer and via usb to Garageband on my iMac and I have been very, very pleased with the clear sound. (I don’t use the resonance feature - I usually use a dual source guitar with internal mic and it works through the Boss beautifully.)

Now, a couple of strange foibles I have come across with my unit. I have the delay on the guitar on ‘room’ and it is suppose to have the same settings as last time you played it, but every time I turn it on, the button needs to be touched once to make sure it is delay or I get chorus! You can save your settings to a bank, but again, when clicking through saved ones....the delay alters at random!

Don’t care though - I just keep an eye/ear on it and the sound is just fabulous. Great idea, Mr Boss whoever you are! Wish I had the gadget years ago!

BluesKing777.
Old 01-14-2018, 07:31 AM

I had a VE8 before switching to the TC Play Acoustic ..

Positives - I liked the physical knobs for adjustment. Separate knobs control for mic and guitar. Also for the volume of the loop (mic and guitar separated) ...Liked the guitar effects a lot. Resonance was excellent. There's a EQ (hidden). I thought the guitar side sounded slightly better and more responsive than the PA. Also really liked the versatility of the multi ins and outs on rear panel.

Cons - vocal effects had a more digital sound. Not nearly as natural sounding as the PA. Looper was lame.. needing the the extra footswitch to work easier .. but even with the FS it was clunky too.

I'm thinking of getting the Boss AD2 just for the Resonance feature.

Last edited by JakeStone; 01-14-2018 at 07:36 AM.
Old 01-25-2018, 04:09 AM

Just one question:
Can I connect by USB to my Iphone or any smartphone??

To be able to record:
Left Guitar and Right Voice.
And in the same time I can film my gig....

Thanks for your answer.
Old 01-26-2018, 11:20 AM

Not much talk here about the ve8 mostly tc neighsayers. so i will
try to bring it back.
Here is a good the bad and the ugly review of the ve 8
quite lengthy..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWWsssXT5qk

Last edited by varmonter; 01-27-2018 at 02:57 PM.
Old 02-01-2018, 04:40 AM

Just one question:
Can I connect by USB to my Iphone or any smartphone??

To be able to record:
Left Guitar and Right Voice.
And in the same time I can film my gig....

Thanks for your answer.

I answer to my post:
I have Irig Recorder 3 on my iphone and I can record two tracks separetly.
And in the same time I can film.

I check on the boss website, driver only for computer..
No smartphone app.......

I have a duo Guitar and voice, and I was interested to buy the VE-8.

Nobody try to connect the VE-8 on a smartphone??

Thanks guys
Old 02-01-2018, 12:51 PM
Charter Member

I considered this unit as well as the other, similar models but I need the ability to input two mics plus guitar. Ended up just going with a cheap mixer. Works very well with many inputs. No looper but I have yet to be able to get a looper to work for me anyway! For the prices of these pedals they should have a few more inputs in my opinion.
Old 04-05-2018, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeStone View Post
I had a VE8 before switching to the TC Play Acoustic ..

Positives - I liked the physical knobs for adjustment. Separate knobs control for mic and guitar. Also for the volume of the loop (mic and guitar separated) ...Liked the guitar effects a lot. Resonance was excellent. There's a EQ (hidden). I thought the guitar side sounded slightly better and more responsive than the PA. Also really liked the versatility of the multi ins and outs on rear panel.

Cons - vocal effects had a more digital sound. Not nearly as natural sounding as the PA. Looper was lame.. needing the the extra footswitch to work easier .. but even with the FS it was clunky too.

I'm thinking of getting the Boss AD2 just for the Resonance feature.
When you say the Boss was more responsive, are you talking about latency or dynamics? I'm trying to decide between these units, and there are some really knowledgeable and helpful people discussing these in a couple of threads, here. I really just want something to take a little of the piezo quack out, add some reverb, and a little vocal enhancement. I really like the knobs and extra outputs on the Boss, but I definitely need all the vocal help I can get, which seems to be the strong suit of the TC.

I probably won't use the harmonies other than just to mess around with a little. Also, is the pitch correction better or one of the other, and how configurable is it? I definitely won't use a hard pitch correction, but may use soft it if it's subtle, but I'd rather just leave it off if it's super noticeable.
Old 04-06-2018, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick2099 View Post
When you say the Boss was more responsive, are you talking about latency or dynamics? I'm trying to decide between these units, and there are some really knowledgeable and helpful people discussing these in a couple of threads, here. I really just want something to take a little of the piezo quack out, add some reverb, and a little vocal enhancement. I really like the knobs and extra outputs on the Boss, but I definitely need all the vocal help I can get, which seems to be the strong suit of the TC.

I probably won't use the harmonies other than just to mess around with a little. Also, is the pitch correction better or one of the other, and how configurable is it? I definitely won't use a hard pitch correction, but may use soft it if it's subtle, but I'd rather just leave it off if it's super noticeable.
Hey Patrick - The VE-8 and Play Acoustic are both excellent units. Tough choice between them.

I must say the Knobs and extra Ins and outputs on the Boss are nice features. If you like to "tweak" on the fly it's nice to reach down and turn a knob. But there are lots of hidden menus on the Boss. So depending on what you need to tweak.. You still may have to tap a few buttons to do so. I constantly needed the user manual to do things. Even after weeks of ownership.

The PA is super easy to navigate and set up scenes. So I'd say if you are a set and forget person. The PA will be just fine for typical user.

Soundwise.. I decided the PA was better for my needs. I REALLY liked the vocals through the PA. I don't know what it is... But they are smooth as silk. Just using a little reverb and the TONE button (Which is programmable). The Harmonies and double feature (used very slightly) can add a huge dimension to your singing or particular part of the song.

Guitar Sound - I give the edge to the Boss when I had it... I do think they got the effects and reverb and acoustic resonance perfect. After all Boss is a famous effects company.

In the end... The PA was just smoother in vocals. Plus I could easily dial my guitar in with the PA's guitar effects and Body Rez.. So I decided to keep the PA.

Lastly the looper was just so much easier to use and seemed better on the PA as well. There's also the undo feature on PA and Boss doesn't have. I added the switch 6 to the system for shows. This allows me to have control over certain effects, looper and boost function (boost is only available when you have Switch 6 or Switch 3).

Good luck.... Can't lose with either one! Heck buy both like I did and see which one is better for your needs.
Old 04-06-2018, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Hey Patrick - The VE-8 and Play Acoustic are both excellent units. Tough choice between them.

I must say the Knobs and extra Ins and outputs on the Boss are nice features. If you like to "tweak" on the fly it's nice to reach down and turn a knob. But there are lots of hidden menus on the Boss. So depending on what you need to tweak.. You still may have to tap a few buttons to do so. I constantly needed the user manual to do things. Even after weeks of ownership.

The PA is super easy to navigate and set up scenes. So I'd say if you are a set and forget person. The PA will be just fine for typical user.

Soundwise.. I decided the PA was better for my needs. I REALLY liked the vocals through the PA. I don't know what it is... But they are smooth as silk. Just using a little reverb and the TONE button (Which is programmable). The Harmonies and double feature (used very slightly) can add a huge dimension to your singing or particular part of the song.

Guitar Sound - I give the edge to the Boss when I had it... I do think they got the effects and reverb and acoustic resonance perfect. After all Boss is a famous effects company.

In the end... The PA was just smoother in vocals. Plus I could easily dial my guitar in with the PA's guitar effects and Body Rez.. So I decided to keep the PA.

Lastly the looper was just so much easier to use and seemed better on the PA as well. There's also the undo feature on PA and Boss doesn't have. I added the switch 6 to the system for shows. This allows me to have control over certain effects, looper and boost function (boost is only available when you have Switch 6 or Switch 3).

Good luck.... Can't lose with either one! Heck buy both like I did and see which one is better for your needs.
Thanks a lot @JakeStone. I'd love to buy both, and pick which one I liked better, but as indecisive as I am, I'd probably end up keeping both. I think I'm leaning towards the PA, if it sounds better on the vocals and the guitar is still usable. I could probably add on a Boss AD-2 if I wasn't happy with the guitar tone.

Also, I hope I didn't miss it in your reply, but I was still wondering about: When you say the Boss was more responsive, are you talking about latency or dynamics?

Thanks again.
Old 04-06-2018, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Thanks a lot @JakeStone. I'd love to buy both, and pick which one I liked better, but as indecisive as I am, I'd probably end up keeping both. I think I'm leaning towards the PA, if it sounds better on the vocals and the guitar is still usable. I could probably add on a Boss AD-2 if I wasn't happy with the guitar tone.

Also, I hope I didn't miss it in your reply, but I was still wondering about: When you say the Boss was more responsive, are you talking about latency or dynamics?

Thanks again.
Yep .. I think you will be very happy with the PA. I have been using it for months and pretty much haven't looked back.

Responsive .. It has more to do with the knobs vs push buttons thing (knobs are just more responsive). Nothing to do with product, dynamics or Latency.
Old 04-06-2018, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Yep .. I think you will be very happy with the PA. I have been using it for months and pretty much haven't looked back.

Responsive .. It has more to do with the knobs vs push buttons thing (knobs are just more responsive). Nothing to do with product, dynamics or Latency.
That makes more sense. I completely misunderstood you. I was making sure you didn't mean latency, like when you use a transpose feature on an effects unit. Even on my Kemper, it's a tiny fraction of a second, but it still drives me crazy. I definitely like knobs, compared to buttons and menus.
Old 04-06-2018, 02:12 PM

Quote:
That makes more sense. I completely misunderstood you. I was making sure you didn't mean latency, like when you use a transpose feature on an effects unit. Even on my Kemper, it's a tiny fraction of a second, but it still drives me crazy. I definitely like knobs, compared to buttons and menus.
Yep.. Glad to clarify.

Knobs are better... But like I said, check the VE8 manual. You have to "tap dance" a lot more to get into the deeper settings. Often having to hold down 2 of the soft buttons simultaneously. SO in the long run it's not that much easier

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification