The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-12-2015, 03:13 PM

Default Passive PA mains....

Has anyone had any experience with JBL MR825s? If so, what do you think of them?
Old 10-12-2015, 04:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwp2 View Post
Has anyone had any experience with JBL MR825s? If so, what do you think of them?
Hi jwp…
They were pretty decent 15" two way cabinets, heavy on the bass and low-mids, and pretty efficient. It had an actual horn drive (as opposed to Piezo) and a built in crossover.

Before sub-woofers, we had to choose on 15" OR 12" woofers, but these days we put everything through our systems including synths, and bass guitars so we assumed bigger woofers were better.

These days I retain a small PA with a decent set of 12" two way cabinets. If we need more fire-power than those, the venue usually has it covered.

I now assume cleaner and better balanced tone is better. And I don't need a 33 band 1/3 octave EQ to try to balance it out.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 10-12-2015, 05:34 PM

Very good quality sound. Heavy to lift onto a speaker stand. Compression horn for the highs. One of the owners of Molly Bloom's in San Clemente, California - Shelley - has a pair for sale. Shipping would probably be expensive to you, though. Ric
Old 10-12-2015, 09:58 PM

Thanks guys. I have a chance to buy a pair of them from a friend of mine. I currently have a set od Peavey pr12s that I like a lot. I was thinking it would be nice to have the bigger speakers for bigger venues.
Old 10-12-2015, 11:16 PM

These MR 825s are far from ideal speakers for an acoustic act, compared with what's available today, but, yes, they will certainly get a lot louder than the PR 12s. They also will perhaps sound somewhat better than your PR 12s in the same signal chain, but unless you use lots of EQ on them, JBLs of that era have an edginess to their sound.

Don't pay a lot for them, if you decide to buy, as this would be a step up in the loudness, but not necessarily the quality, of your sound.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification