The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-05-2018, 03:42 PM

I was going to guess you also used Martin strings because I heard the brushiness in your tone. That brushiness is part of a common tone signature of many Martin strings which must use a common hexcore spec. I do not hate it I just think it adds a tonal component that is unneccessary.

Yes.. My piezos are the stock passive ones. I think Yamaha calls them SRT2

Last edited by Tommy_G; 01-05-2018 at 03:51 PM.
Old 01-05-2018, 03:44 PM
Charter Member

SRT Zero Impact pickup. How is it?
Old 01-05-2018, 03:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitaniac View Post
I'm preferring the ToneDexter sample, but my perception may be off because that sample is somewhat louder than the Aura sample. You could try normalizing the samples so that they have the same peak level. Albeit, if one sample is more compressed, it will still sound louder even if the peak levels are the same.

With respect to feedback, I'm having no problem with the Barbera Soloist/ToneDexter combo on a noisy stage. (The Soloist doesn't compromise the guitar's acoustic tone, either.) Last night I tried a Sololist/iRig Acoustic Stage mic in the same environment and it was a feedback disaster. I could barely blend in any amount of mic signal without a problem. Albeit, the Soloist/iRig mic combo sounds very good at a moderate amplification level in my basement.
I heard it the same way as you did; The TD sample was louder. Also, I can see more frequency range content in the Tonedexter wave file compared to the Aura. So it's clearly louder and there is more fullness in the midrange. I think I could achieve similar results using EQ. Maybe not.
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Fender CS '63 Telecaster Custom
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 01-05-2018, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroUSA View Post
SRT Zero Impact pickup. How is it?
Ah yes... Zero impact..

Like most piezos... Quacky and plasticky if you overdrive them on the attack... But not overdriven, they represent the tonal frequency spectrum of the guitar fairly accurately.

The fact there is no on board active eq allows the guitar to resonate naturally. Overall.. Very happy with the system...

But
.. Always have a high impedance acoustic guitar preamp if you are intending to plug into a stage PA otherwise the impedance mismatch of a passive piezo with typical stage inputs can create a spikey thin horrid tone..lol..

1 to 10 megs seems to work just fine with 10 to 15 foot cables

Last edited by Tommy_G; 01-05-2018 at 04:40 PM.
Old 01-05-2018, 05:36 PM
Charter Member

Even with an active piezo? The TC play acoustic and Tone Dexter are both 1MOhm and the Aura is 10MOhm. The only reason I like having a battery in the guitar is that it allows me to plug into any input and achieve a good sound.
Old 01-05-2018, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groberts View Post
I heard it the same way as you did; The TD sample was louder. Also, I can see more frequency range content in the Tonedexter wave file compared to the Aura. So it's clearly louder and there is more fullness in the midrange. I think I could achieve similar results using EQ. Maybe not.
That was my only issue with the aura, I found that eq did little to tame the highs and bring fullness back into the signal. You have the Aura enhance system, which I feel is a big improvement but for me, the aura on its own is difficult to eq. I did however find that switching to global eq on the spectrum helped to fix things a bit. Before, I could only eq the pickup but with the global setting I could actually eq the image.
Old 01-05-2018, 07:33 PM
Charter Member

I don’t have the VT Enhance anymore. I felt it had a lot of potential but they seemed to have removed all of the bass from the image.

I prefer the F1 or Spectrum DI and I agree that global eq is better.
Old 01-05-2018, 08:38 PM

I forgot.......what does “IR” stand for, again?
Old 01-05-2018, 10:37 PM
Charter Member

Impulse Responce. Aura, Tone Dexter, SRT, Helix etc.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Tags
aura, fishman matrix infinity, tone dexter