The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-09-2018, 03:14 PM

Default L.R. Baggs LB-6

I know there are still some Baggs LB-6 users/enthusiasts on the forum. I am one. Being a fingerpicker 85% of the time, I haven't found a pickup with better string to string balance, responsiveness, or a warmer sound than the LB-6. Yet it can cut through a mix with more definition than most pickups.

Of course, it's not perfect. IMO it lacks a dimensionality and resonance that some others have. It can also have some sharp edges on the high end.

So I'm asking past and present users, what's the most satisfying setup you've used with your LB-6? Perhaps using it in a dual source set up with a Lyric or other mic; or with a mag of some sort; perhaps with a Tone Dexter or Aura or with the old Baggs Dual Source pre and mic.

One more specific question: anyone using the LB-6 end pin pre? If so, why?

Thanks for your input.
Old 12-09-2018, 08:22 PM

Yeah, I’m a LB6 devotee as well. I’ve been happiest using it in a Baggs Dual Source (in place of the Element) and then I run it through a Radial PZ Pre. I dial-in as much Mic as I can and use the Radial’s HPF to pull out any feedback resonances. Then, I have a TC Electronic BodyRez in the loop, set to 10-11, which further EQs out low-mid mud and smooths out tune. I may cut a tiny bit of bass and any wishy, nasally, mids As well. I typically leave the treble flat but it depends on the room. I try to turn it down and set a “strum” volume and then use the Boost feature to set my fingerpicking volume. But the preamp is super powerful compared to others and always seems too loud...

I think the LB6 with a mic is the best fingerpicker’s setup, tho it requires some EQ. I’m curious to try the Tonedexter but I try not to tempt myself with more toys. I get a good sound and I should focus more on making good music than acquiring gear.
Taylor 514ce

Zoom AC3

https://linktr.ee/erikjmusic

Last edited by MrErikJ; 12-09-2018 at 11:15 PM.
Old 12-09-2018, 10:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rb1591 View Post
I know there are still some Baggs LB-6 users/enthusiasts on the forum. I am one. Being a fingerpicker 85% of the time, I haven't found a pickup with better string to string balance, responsiveness, or a warmer sound than the LB-6. Yet it can cut through a mix with more definition than most pickups.

Of course, it's not perfect. IMO it lacks a dimensionality and resonance that some others have. It can also have some sharp edges on the high end.

So I'm asking past and present users, what's the most satisfying setup you've used with your LB-6? Perhaps using it in a dual source set up with a Lyric or other mic; or with a mag of some sort; perhaps with a Tone Dexter or Aura or with the old Baggs Dual Source pre and mic.

One more specific question: anyone using the LB-6 end pin pre? If so, why?

Thanks for your input.
HI rb

Played one in my Olson for 11 years total, and don't hear a dime's worth of difference between it and the K&K Pure mini. My LB-6 was coupled with an internal (Baggs) mic and preamp for the last 7 yrs of it's residence in my guitar.

My current K&K Mini + K&K Internal Mic are superior, because of my ability to mix them externally via an external preamp, whereas my Baggs dual source required reaching inside with the eraser of a pencil to adjust profiles and tone changes.

It's certainly a contender. When I was considering whether to continue with a Baggs Dual source rig in my Bashkin - I called James Olson. He informed me the Micarta being used now is softer than when my original was made, and it wears more quickly.

This is of concern because ALL adjustments have to be made from the top of an LB-6. It is a Brass blank with individual piezo elements (6 of them…hence the name) embedded in the brass (and precise alignment is required). It's also thicker to the saddle slot has to be widened (which I have no issues with).

But to adjust action, material must be removed from the top (cambered/curved) surface. Care must be taken not to affect the radius of the top edge.

Also, the bottom of the saddle slot must be leveled very precisely or a sensor near a dip will cut in volume substantially, and a bump in the saddle slot will 'enhance' a single element's volume.

Properly installed, and using a great preamp, it produces a fine tone. I had an endpin Pendulum preamp for 5 years (before the addition of the internal preamp and mic).

When it was removed to install the K&K dual source, I weighed it, and the total package weighed in at about 6 ounces. I was shocked how much my tone improved (acoustically) when the LB-6 was exchanged for a bone saddle. Night and Day different. I thought the Olson sounded pretty great before, and amazingly better after the swap.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 12-09-2018, 11:14 PM

And there’s the obligatory “you shoulda got a K&K” comment.
Taylor 514ce

Zoom AC3

Old 12-10-2018, 08:36 AM

I've used the LB6 in three guitars. Very dependable pickup, highly feedback resistant and excellent string balance. On the downside, I found it a little quacky (not an issue for fingerstyle) and thick sounding for my taste. I've heard the sound described as "thick and muscular", and I think that's accurate in comparison to some of the film USTs and hybrid systems. I think that ceramic piezo pickups generally tend to be thicker sounding than film piezo pickups and certain hybrid systems.

I never tried blending the LB6 with anything, but over the years I've noticed that many users spoke well of an LB6/mic combination. Doyle Dykes new Godin signature model blends the LB6 with a Baggs Lyric mic, plus there's also Session DI style tape saturation available. Click on the "preamp overview" vid on this Sweetwater page. I have to admit, the combination of the three elements (LB6. Tru Mic and saturation) sounds pretty sweet on that Multiac.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...LK--godin-mult
Old 12-10-2018, 10:26 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrErikJ View Post
And there’s the obligatory “you shoulda got a K&K” comment.
Hi MrErikJ

Who said that?

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 12-10-2018, 10:51 AM

Default Appreciate the input

Great insights, guys. I was hoping you three would respond. What a "brain trust," as they said in "O Brother."

Let me respond to a few of your comments:

Eric, you said: "I’m curious to try the Tonedexter but I try not to tempt myself with more toys. I get a good sound and I should focus more on making good music than acquiring gear." Well, I did try the Tonedexter with the LB6 and it's worked well. However, I just couldn't get settled on a wavetable that I thought improved my sound enough to justify my constant fiddling with it. Maybe I should have just stopped and called myself satisfied. However, that experience and others have taught me that what sounds great at home through my headphones doesn't necessarily translate to the same in a live situation. And while I need a constant reminder to focus more on making good music rather than on new toys, I do know that I play better when I sound better. And I enjoy the hunt to a limited degree. At any rate, your input is very valuable to me. I think we would both agree about simplicity being something worth pursuing.

Larry, I've wanted to make the K&K trinity system work for me and installed it in several instruments, but I suppose we all hear things differently. Passive pickups into external pre … now that's simple and I love the concept. It just hasn't given me what I want to hear. But I always appreciate your experience and practical, gig-proof thinking about these matters. Your insights have served all of us very well over the years.

Gary,
Thanks for the link to the Doyle Dykes demo. I haven't heard that demo and I really like it. It may not be "my guitar only louder," but it's one of the most musical tones I've heard and IMO would work very well for the style I generally play. I wish Baggs put this system in a simple-to-use package.
Old 12-10-2018, 11:13 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Great insights, guys. I was hoping you three would respond. What a "brain trust," as they said in "O Brother."

Eric, you said: "I’m curious to try the Tonedexter but I try not to tempt myself with more toys. I get a good sound and I should focus more on making good music than acquiring gear." Well, I did try the Tonedexter with the LB6 and it's worked well. However, I just couldn't get settled on a wavetable that I thought improved my sound enough to justify my constant fiddling with it. Maybe I should have just stopped and called myself satisfied. However, that experience and others have taught me that what sounds great at home through my headphones doesn't necessarily translate to the same in a live situation. And while I need a constant reminder to focus more on making good music rather than on new toys, I do know that I play better when I sound better. And I enjoy the hunt to a limited degree. At any rate, your input is very valuable to me. I think we would both agree about simplicity being something worth pursuing.

Larry, I've wanted to make the K&K trinity system work for me and installed it in several instruments, but I suppose we all hear things differently. Passive pickups into external pre … now that's simple and I love the concept. It just hasn't given me what I want to hear. But I always appreciate your experience and practical, gig-proof thinking about these matters. Your insights have served all of us very well over the years.

Gary,
Thanks for the link to the Doyle Dykes demo. I haven't heard that demo and I really like it. It may not be "my guitar only louder," but it's one of the most musical tones I've heard and IMO would work very well for the style I generally play. I wish Baggs put this system in a simple-to-use package.
Hi rb

We are fortunate to live in a day and age of choices and options where we can tailor things to our hearts content. I've had many systems in guitars which don't sound the same through speakers as they do in phones (all of them actually).

I appreciated your individual responses to us. A player's style, the instrument, the pickup, the preamp and the amp/PA all contribute to the sound we launch into an auditorium/restaurant/etc.

Hope you are having a good holiday…

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

Old 12-10-2018, 01:17 PM

I've used the lb-6 for ten years , very dependable , very versatileMy acoustic pickup of choice
Old 12-10-2018, 01:20 PM

I use the lb-6 endpin pre , and I can recommend it . Sometimes i blend it with a akg 516ml mini mic on a different jack.
Old 12-10-2018, 01:40 PM

Quote:

Gary,
Oh yeah, I don't judge anyone's rig regardless of complexity or simplicity. And I teased Larry for recommending the K&K but they're great pickups, tho I don't prefer them.

I'm not sure my setup is simple anymore (it used to be LB6 and a Para DI) but I am happy with it but I have been eyeballing the Tonedexter as well. I think in my next guitar (if there is one) I might install the Lyric and add the LB6 to the ring. My Radial can blend two channels and I like the sound Doyle Dykes gets with his. Typically you want independent EQ but I think the BodyRez is (pun intended) the great equalizer in that situation.
Taylor 514ce

Zoom AC3

Old 12-17-2018, 07:03 PM

Default LB-6 … new report

Just wanted to report to you LB-6 guys a new addition to my rig that I'm very satisfied with: L.R. Baggs Align Session.

You probably know it's a pre with multi-frequency compression and "saturation." I am so pleased with the way it rounds out and warms up the pickup. The YouTube videos don't do it justice IMO. It's one of those things that when your ear gets use to it, there is quite a change when you turn it off. Really puts a polish on the overall sound.

I'm getting the best tone I've experienced from my LB-6(s) with this simple rig: Para DI with Align Session in the effects loop. Powering the DI via phantom and using a battery in the Session. Minor eq tweaks on the Para DI depending on room and PA. Definitely a step closer to what I'm hearing in the Doyle Dykes video mentioned above.

Thought you might be interested.
Old 12-17-2018, 10:19 PM

I've been debating getting one of these to use along side the SD Magmic already in my guitar. I think this thread has pushed me to make the purchase! Thanks for all the info.

Fingerstyle Guitar ~ Hammered Dulcimer ~ Clawhammer Banjo ~ Diatonic Harmonica ~ Anglo Concertina

Old 12-18-2018, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Just wanted to report to you LB-6 guys a new addition to my rig that I'm very satisfied with: L.R. Baggs Align Session.

You probably know it's a pre with multi-frequency compression and "saturation." I am so pleased with the way it rounds out and warms up the pickup. The YouTube videos don't do it justice IMO. It's one of those things that when your ear gets use to it, there is quite a change when you turn it off. Really puts a polish on the overall sound.

I'm getting the best tone I've experienced from my LB-6(s) with this simple rig: Para DI with Align Session in the effects loop. Powering the DI via phantom and using a battery in the Session. Minor eq tweaks on the Para DI depending on room and PA. Definitely a step closer to what I'm hearing in the Doyle Dykes video mentioned above.

Thanks for the comments on the Align. I am indeed interested. Could you comment on what settings, for saturation and multi-frequency compression, seem to be working well for your personal taste?

Do you find that your preferred settings are somewhat dependent on playing style?
Old 12-18-2018, 12:44 PM

Quote:

Yeah, the Session is pretty cool and with the Para (which was made for the LB6) it's probably one of the best setups available for the LB6.

The TC BodyRez has similar features but features more EQ and has a simple one-knob interface. I like to use it in combination with some EQ on the PZ Pre to get the best tone out of my LB6 Dual Source.
Taylor 514ce

Zoom AC3

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification