The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-01-2018, 09:19 AM

In my comparison, the Boss ASL came up short with the harmony. Having owned the TC Helicon H1 I thought it's 1/3 above harmony was better than the Boss (more distinct), and while I can always wish for "just one more feature", I wish it had a fifth above as well.

I just bought an Ovation to use as an outdoor gig guitar, and the body Rez feature improves the stock guitar sound. With chorus, the O sounds heavenly.
Old 12-02-2018, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiopicker View Post
In my comparison, the Boss ASL came up short with the harmony. Having owned the TC Helicon H1 I thought it's 1/3 above harmony was better than the Boss (more distinct), and while I can always wish for "just one more feature", I wish it had a fifth above as well.

I just bought an Ovation to use as an outdoor gig guitar, and the body Rez feature improves the stock guitar sound. With chorus, the O sounds heavenly.
I'd probably not use the harmonies much, as I rarely strum and I'm not sure how well such units analyze picking.
2009 Hoffman SJ
2011 Hoffman SJ 12

https://paulashley.weebly.com/
https://www.youtube.com/c/PaulAshley
https://www.reverbnation.com/paulashley
Old 12-02-2018, 03:25 PM

I bought an Acoustic Singer Live a couple of months ago for $299. The shop where I bought it had it listed for $399 and the owner gave me a package deal when I bought some other stuff. I'm not sure where the $599 price comes from. I haven't seen them actually advertised at that price, most I've seen are $399 to $499.

The owner of my local shop said he cannot get them in stock now, they are backordered a couple of months.

There is a shop on Reverb that still has them for $299 (plus free shipping) if you really want one now. Search "Boss Acoustic Singer Live" and it comes right up.

Edited to add: Sweetwater now has them listed at $349 and says list price is $649. No one is selling them at "list price".
Old 12-03-2018, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbg View Post
I bought an Acoustic Singer Live a couple of months ago for $299. The shop where I bought it had it listed for $399 and the owner gave me a package deal when I bought some other stuff. I'm not sure where the $599 price comes from. I haven't seen them actually advertised at that price, most I've seen are $399 to $499.

The owner of my local shop said he cannot get them in stock now, they are backordered a couple of months.

There is a shop on Reverb that still has them for $299 (plus free shipping) if you really want one now. Search "Boss Acoustic Singer Live" and it comes right up.

Edited to add: Sweetwater now has them listed at $349 and says list price is $649. No one is selling them at "list price".
Thanks for the Reverb sale heads-up. I found it, but wouldn't you know. I still can't get myself to pull the trigger. I'd like a backup to my SA220 but do wonder if Id really use the looper and harmonizer. Still, if the Boss is as good as the Loudbox Mini and one can bet it at the same price point, it seems like a good deal even if I don't use them. Right ... this is me trying to convince myself.
2009 Hoffman SJ
2011 Hoffman SJ 12

https://paulashley.weebly.com/
https://www.youtube.com/c/PaulAshley
https://www.reverbnation.com/paulashley

Last edited by lpa53; 12-03-2018 at 01:59 PM.
Old 12-03-2018, 12:55 PM

Default OP reporting in...

One week later, I'm really happy with this little Boss box. I'm no expert; this is only my second acoustic amp. It's small, heavy for its size, but still easy to carry. Control knobs are well laid out and marked, but once you get into it, you find that seven glowing indicator lights also serve as push buttons, accessing more effects. It's fun to dime all the available effects: with max Chorus, Acoustic Resonance and Harmony, plus Reverb, my guitar sounds like a little like a pipe organ. Dialed back, there's a vast variety of flavorings. This amp seems capable of very clean, honest response with all effects turned off, but that's probably not its purpose in life. Boss is a pedal company, after all.

So far, I've had no problem with a miked acoustic and a solid electric. Actually, it's turning out to be a phenomenal electric guitar amp, offering up everything except overdrive and distortion. Bet they have a pedal for that, too. I'm not getting rid of my Bugera yet, but this Boss easily could be a one-amp solution.

Unfortunately, my Fifth Avenue still creates clicks and pops, almost like an old LP. So does a friend's ES330-style guitar. I've ordered another unit, due in a few days, and I'll see if that shows the same behavior.
- Tacoma EK36C (ancient cedar Little Jumbo, '01, #145/150)
- Seagull SWS Maritime Mini Jumbo ('16)
- Simon & Patrick Pro Folk Rosewood ('01)
- Godin Montreal Premiere Supreme
- Ibanez Mikro Bass

Last edited by Birdbrain; 12-03-2018 at 12:56 PM. Reason: concision

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Tags
acoustic amp, black friday 2018, boss acoustic singer