The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-21-2018, 11:18 PM

Default Update on JBL Eon One Pro - It's going back. Check out the story though...

I bought one of the refurb JBL Eon One Pro units from Sweetwater for $499. It looked new. I complained about a lack of volume when plugging a mic into the mic input at mic level. The Bluetooth showed me that this unit was capable of much more volume. I probably mentioned another issue. I thought it was just bad design, but they thought it was defective, so they did a great thing and sent me a return label for the one I had with a brand new, A stock, unit.

The new unit had the same volume issue with a mic. Instead of going to Sweetwater, I got in touch with JBL directly. Here's the response I got:

Hello David,

Unfortunately, this is an issue that is currently being resolved and will go out to all local JBL service centers for remedy once it has been finalized.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Best regards,
RAFAEL ULLOA

I asked how long it might take, and received this response:

There is no telling as to when it might be ready. Engineering department are working and testing different components before releasing a service notification to all service centers.

I also called and spoke with someone at JBL who said they're working on a solution but it wont be overnight. I reminded him that this product has been on the market a while now. He said that not many people complained so they're doing this as a courtesy. He also denied that there's any issue with line level on the original or this one. BS.

I sent both emails to Sweetwater.

They sent me a return label to send this one back on their dime.

This thing has potential if they freaking fix the input gain issues. I was happy to get a bargain, but I'm not going to gamble on them really fixing the problem in a meaningful way. I'm shipping it back Friday.
Old 11-22-2018, 05:38 AM

Neil Young wrote a song about this kind of thing.

“Saw it on the tube
Bought it on the phone
Now you’re home alone
It’s a piece of crap”
Old 11-22-2018, 05:38 AM

Man, I'm sorry to hear about your problems. I hate having to deal with issues with new gear, esp when you have to ship it back and forth.

I looked at those units, but decided to go Bose mostly because of all of the positive reviews here and I'm glad I did.

I'm blown away with the S1-Pro AND the L1 Compact.

Glad to hear Sweetwater has gone out of their way for you.

Best of luck.

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg
Old 11-22-2018, 07:13 AM

If you have a mixer around or other pre-amp, you can boost that volume to make it work. I played many gigs with the EON One. I needed a mixer for all the channels I use anyway. I did have issues with occasionally clipping the EON but that was more poor mic technique on my part.

Ultimately, after 2 years I sold it and got an EV Evolve. No volume issues with that one.
ES-335
'63 Relic Strat Willcutt
Gibson SG W/ Maestro
Old 11-22-2018, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy Slaw View Post
Man, I'm sorry to hear about your problems. I hate having to deal with issues with new gear, esp when you have to ship it back and forth.

I looked at those units, but decided to go Bose mostly because of all of the positive reviews here and I'm glad I did.

I'm blown away with the S1-Pro AND the L1 Compact.

Glad to hear Sweetwater has gone out of their way for you.

Best of luck.

I have a Bose L1M2,but it’s too much for most of my gigs. I bought a pair os S1 Pros and they’re great, but I miss the thump of a subwoofer. I have the original Eon One and it works ok with a mixer.
Old 11-22-2018, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave L View Post
If you have a mixer around or other pre-amp, you can boost that volume to make it work. I played many gigs with the EON One. I needed a mixer for all the channels I use anyway. I did have issues with occasionally clipping the EON but that was more poor mic technique on my part.

Ultimately, after 2 years I sold it and got an EV Evolve. No volume issues with that one.

I already have the original Eon One and use a mixer with that. I was hoping the Eon One Pro would let me leave the mixer at home.
Old 11-22-2018, 08:00 AM

I just worked on an EON One. PITA to work on, and JBL didn't provide a schematic for this model on their website, though they do have schematics for the other models. I wrote to them and they replied that they didn't provide a schematic because the design is proprietary. I offered to sign an NDA and promised not to share it so they sent me the schematic. No, I won't share it. I will say it is extremely well built. Perfect soldering. If you take one apart be very careful, the bluetooth antenna cable is very short and must be disconnected before you separate the control assembly from the box. Sounds great but very heavy. I'll take my Fishman Loudbox Mini over one of these any day.

My website:
http://draudio56.wix.com/warren-bendler

"It's hard...calming the Beatle inside of me."
Old 11-22-2018, 08:06 AM
Charter Member

The take-away from this just might be: it is good to deal with a company like Sweetwater - they take care of you. Great customer care on their part to pick up the shipping. Twice. Kudos.
Old 11-22-2018, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamaYairi View Post
I just worked on an EON One. PITA to work on, and JBL didn't provide a schematic for this model on their website, though they do have schematics for the other models. I wrote to them and they replied that they didn't provide a schematic because the design is proprietary. I offered to sign an NDA and promised not to share it so they sent me the schematic. No, I won't share it. I will say it is extremely well built. Perfect soldering. If you take one apart be very careful, the bluetooth antenna cable is very short and must be disconnected before you separate the control assembly from the box. Sounds great but very heavy. I'll take my Fishman Loudbox Mini over one of these any day.
The Eon One and Loudbox mini are very different animals. Apples and oranges. I have an older Loudbox 100 that I love, but I wouldn’t put two vocals and a guitar through it and try to make it work for my gigs.
Old 11-22-2018, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
The take-away from this just might be: it is good to deal with a company like Sweetwater - they take care of you. Great customer care on their part to pick up the shipping. Twice. Kudos.
This is very true. I had to send mine back also. I could get around the low volume issue using a cloudlifter or a se dynamite. I had a problem with some low frequency distortion when I sang. Had no problem reproducing it. Sweetwater sent a return label and it’s on its way back now.
Old 11-22-2018, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidE View Post
The Eon One and Loudbox mini are very different animals. Apples and oranges. I have an older Loudbox 100 that I love, but I wouldn’t put two vocals and a guitar through it and try to make it work for my gigs.
Actually it's the size of the venue that is the limiting factor. If I had a gig in a smaller room as a duet I would definitely consider running a mixer into the Loudbox. The friend that owned the Eon I repaired usually does solo gigs and it was overkill. He traded it in on a small Bose system that is the size of the Loudbox mini.

My website:
http://draudio56.wix.com/warren-bendler

"It's hard...calming the Beatle inside of me."

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification