The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-18-2018, 01:11 PM

Default Advice On A Mixer

Since breaking my back in June in a car wreck, I had to sell my top of the line Acoustic brand amp because the speaker magnets made it way out of my lifting restrictions range. Got a single speaker 20 watt Acoustic replacement with a single input. I thought I could utilize a split "Y" cable with two female inputs and single male output to plug in guitar and mic but it doesn't work. Someone suggested a simple mixer to combine the two into one output but no luck in finding one. Any suggestions?
Old 11-18-2018, 01:21 PM
Charter Member

Should be easy. Just go to Musicians Friend, Sweetwater, Guitar Center or any of a number of on-line retailers and search for mixers; select the display option for low to high (price) and you will see several for under $100. Peruse the results.

Here's one example: https://www.guitarcenter.com/Behringer/Xenyx-1002.gc

Last edited by Nymuso; 11-18-2018 at 01:26 PM.
Old 11-18-2018, 02:24 PM
Musical minimalist

I like the Alto ZMX862 - they are built very well and you can find them used for around 50.00 pretty easily.

Here's a "new/other" one at a nice price:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Alto-Profes...rN1:rk:11:pf:0

Old 11-18-2018, 04:09 PM

Dave.... curious what you got for the 'Acoustic' amp. Most of the 'Acoustic' branded amps I see for acoustic guitar do have two inputs. The 'Acoustic' branded ones for electric guitars do have a single input.
Old 11-18-2018, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkF_48 View Post
Dave.... curious what you got for the 'Acoustic' amp. Most of the 'Acoustic' branded amps I see for acoustic guitar do have two inputs. The 'Acoustic' branded ones for electric guitars do have a single input.
I never knew Acoustic made an electric amp and apparently the guy I bought it from didn’t either. This is a Lead series amp which I gather is for electrics. Too bad since it’s nearly new but will be for sale tomorrow !
Old 11-18-2018, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveKell View Post
Since breaking my back in June in a car wreck, I had to sell my top of the line Acoustic brand amp because the speaker magnets made it way out of my lifting restrictions range. Got a single speaker 20 watt Acoustic replacement with a single input. I thought I could utilize a split "Y" cable with two female inputs and single male output to plug in guitar and mic but it doesn't work. Someone suggested a simple mixer to combine the two into one output but no luck in finding one. Any suggestions?
If it’s just you:
Allen & Heath Zed 10FX
Decent FX and mid sweeps.
Old 11-18-2018, 11:15 PM
Charter Member

Dear Lord I'm sorry to hear about that broken back! Hope you are well on your way to recovering.

In case you or someone else is ever looking to solve the original problem: If all you need for the foreseeable future is just a path for your mic and guitar, there are a couple small mixers spoken well of here, the Allen & Heath Zed 6FX and Yamaha MG06X, both with effects. The limitation is that they both only have low and high EQs (which may be why the excellent Zed 10FX was recommended; it has more channels than your immediate stated need but has low, mid and high, plus a mid sweep).

The Soundcraft Notepad 8FX got some thumbs-up here recently, and unusually for such a small mixer has low/mid/high EQ. Links below. The Soundcraft happens to be marked down $40, to $89.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...r-with-effects

Old 11-18-2018, 11:56 PM

The problem, I find, with virtually all of the small analog mixers is the lack of channel mutes. Mackie may not always be considered in the same league as A&H, Yamaha or Soundcraft but their mixers usually have mutes.

That being said, Dave, if weight is a significant issue (and cost not so much) then I'd strongly suggest a small digital mixer, something like a Bose T4S. These are VERY light, have all of the bells & whistles, including channel mutes (!) and setups or scenes that can be saved and recalled to make setups in repeated venues quick and easy.

Phil

I play Crosby, Emerald, Larrivée, Lowden, Rainsong & Tacoma guitars.
Check out my Guitar Website. See guitar photos & info at my Guitars page.
Old 11-19-2018, 06:13 AM
Musical minimalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveKell View Post
I never knew Acoustic made an electric amp and apparently the guy I bought it from didn’t either. This is a Lead series amp which I gather is for electrics. Too bad since it’s nearly new but will be for sale tomorrow !
Ah, in that case - this is your answer - and on a great sale at GC right now:

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Acousti...EaAkUAEALw_wcB

Old 11-19-2018, 12:09 PM

Default Mixer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kid! View Post
If it’s just you:
Allen & Heath Zed 10FX
Decent FX and mid sweeps.
Like button pressed.
Old 11-19-2018, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philjs View Post
The problem, I find, with virtually all of the small analog mixers is the lack of channel mutes. Mackie may not always be considered in the same league as A&H, Yamaha or Soundcraft but their mixers usually have mutes.

That being said, Dave, if weight is a significant issue (and cost not so much) then I'd strongly suggest a small digital mixer, something like a Bose T4S. These are VERY light, have all of the bells & whistles, including channel mutes (!) and setups or scenes that can be saved and recalled to make setups in repeated venues quick and easy.

Phil
The Soundcraft EFX8 is the same height and width as the Zed 10FX and the EFX8 is only about 3 1/2 inches deeper. In addition to channel mutes and faders, you get (imo) better pre's, EQ, and FX.

There are some amazing digital mixers out there, and if I'm out front mixing, I love them. However, if I playing while running my own sound, they're a pain .

I want knobs and don't want to have to go into sub-menus to tweak anything. It's just quicker and easier. My QSC Touchmix 16 did so much, but I hated using it to mix if I had a guitar in my hands.
Old 11-20-2018, 04:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscom View Post
Dear Lord I'm sorry to hear about that broken back! Hope you are well on your way to recovering.

In case you or someone else is ever looking to solve the original problem: If all you need for the foreseeable future is just a path for your mic and guitar, there are a couple small mixers spoken well of here, the Allen & Heath Zed 6FX and Yamaha MG06X, both with effects. The limitation is that they both only have low and high EQs (which may be why the excellent Zed 10FX was recommended; it has more channels than your immediate stated need but has low, mid and high, plus a mid sweep).

The Soundcraft Notepad 8FX got some thumbs-up here recently, and unusually for such a small mixer has low/mid/high EQ. Links below. The Soundcraft happens to be marked down $40, to $89.

This Soundcraft model is new to me. I have never seen one this small with three band eq and effects. Nice thing about the effects is you can use more than one at a time. I will buy one. Thanks for the suggestions and a good price at the moment.
Old 11-20-2018, 10:03 AM
Charter Member

This Soundcraft model is new to me. I have never seen one this small with three band eq and effects.

Same here, and glad to help. The only reason I know about the Soundcraft is because of recent posts here. I might get one myself for just that reason. My Tonematch T1 is great but like The Kid, I do not want to deal with menus live if I'm running sound.

I briefly had the Zed 6FX and it was terrific, but I could not get over that crazy wide bumper around an otherwise small, handy steel case. (that plus again, no mid EQ, though I would have lived with that, pre-Soundcraft).

I still have the Yamaha MG10XU, the larger version of the 6, so full EQ setup, more proper inputs etc. They're all good. Apart from the sound, one thing I like about the Yamahas is the option to attach a mic-stand mount on the bottom.
Old 11-20-2018, 02:19 PM
Charter Member

Club soda.
Old 11-21-2018, 05:44 AM

I recently picked up the Yamaha MG10XU and like it quite a lot.

My setups are not complicated though, basically acoustic music.

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification