The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-14-2018, 08:41 AM
Charter Member

Default Question for those using two Bose S1 Pro's with Bluetooth

Looking for experiences with those whom own and use two Bose S1 Pro's and have connected them for live use with Bluetooth.

How does it work? What is the distance? Do you need line of sight?

I'm finding that I never use my QSC k8.2 and I'm thinking of selling/trading it off for a second Bose S1 since that would more useful as a backup and also it could be used to place into venues that frequently have adjacent rooms that can't hear our music that well.

I know I use my Bluetooth Bose headphones at work with my phone and I can walk a long ways away through walls and all kinds of things before I lose the signal.
Old 11-14-2018, 11:42 AM
AGF Sponsor

You can use the Bose app and connect your iOS device to two S1s and play music through both of them. They can work either as a stereo pair or dual mono.

This works well for me to at least 20'. Beyond that I have not tested it.

Are you thinking you'd run your guitar or voice into the phone/iPad and then transmit it to the pair of speakers? Otherwise the inputs on one S1 isn't connected to the other S1.

Also, Bluetooth has enough of a delay where it can't really be used for live instruments. Backing tracks are fine.

I have used an XVive wireless guitar setup to go between the line out of one S1 and one of the inputs on the other. This doesn't give much more range but it does solve for the delay.
Old 11-14-2018, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
Looking for experiences with those whom own and use two Bose S1 Pro's and have connected them for live use with Bluetooth.

How does it work? What is the distance? Do you need line of sight?

I'm finding that I never use my QSC k8.2 and I'm thinking of selling/trading it off for a second Bose S1 since that would more useful as a backup and also it could be used to place into venues that frequently have adjacent rooms that can't hear our music that well.

I know I use my Bluetooth Bose headphones at work with my phone and I can walk a long ways away through walls and all kinds of things before I lose the signal.
You can only use them wirelessly to play canned music from your ios (or other system that has the connect app) phone or iPad. You can't plug your guitar and mic into one and have it transmit via bluetooth to your other S1. I had to ask this question on the Bose forum and that was the answer. They suggested I use a trs (stereo) cable from one S1 to the other.
Old 11-15-2018, 08:24 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidE View Post
You can't plug your guitar and mic into one and have it transmit via bluetooth to your other S1. I had to ask this question on the Bose forum and that was the answer.
Well, that answers that question. Yes, that's what I was hoping to do - run my guitar and both our vocals into the primary S1 and then have it Bluetoothed over to the slave S1 in another room.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDWilliams View Post
I have used an XVive wireless guitar setup to go between the line out of one S1 and one of the inputs on the other. This doesn't give much more range but it does solve for the delay.
This might work. I have an Xvive system that I don't use much anymore. Of course, I could also use the QSC k8.2 in this manner as well.

Thanks for the info.
Old 11-15-2018, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Well, that answers that question. Yes, that's what I was hoping to do - run my guitar and both our vocals into the primary S1 and then have it Bluetoothed over to the slave S1 in another room.

This might work. I have an Xvive system that I don't use much anymore. Of course, I could also use the QSC k8.2 in this manner as well.

Thanks for the info.

Yeah, I was hoping I could do that too. No dice.
Old 11-15-2018, 01:03 PM

Is it "just me", but doesn't it seem very reasonable to think this Bose App COULD provide Volume, Bass, Treble, Reverb, and the Tonematch Switch for each channel? In other words - everything that is on the panel, make it available on the app?

And while they're having a good time - Channel Mutes, Master Volume, Line-Out Volume.. ..

NOT asking for wireless connect for instrument input, just the same controls that are THERE (plus a few that SHOULD be there)..

Come ON Bose - help a musician out!

Just thinkin aloud.. MIKE O'
Old 11-15-2018, 02:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeTX View Post
Is it "just me", but doesn't it seem very reasonable to think this Bose App COULD provide Volume, Bass, Treble, Reverb, and the Tonematch Switch for each channel? In other words - everything that is on the panel, make it available on the app?

And while they're having a good time - Channel Mutes, Master Volume, Line-Out Volume.. ..

NOT asking for wireless connect for instrument input, just the same controls that are THERE (plus a few that SHOULD be there)..

Come ON Bose - help a musician out!

Just thinkin aloud.. MIKE O'
Lol - that will be the Bose S2 Pro Plus. And it will cost us an extra $250!
Old 11-15-2018, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Lol - that will be the Bose S2 Pro Plus. And it will cost us an extra $250!
......$450
Old 11-16-2018, 11:45 AM

Hey Methos- why don’t your try (if you already have, forgive me) running stereo out from your VE8 to Right/Left S1s?

I was almost ready to pull the trigger on an L1C and really when comparing it to the S1 (and I have one S1 presently), I am hesitating. Now, no criticism of the L1C- I played it and really liked it. They are different animals in the same zoo, of which I am a member, but now I am thinking stereo S1s instead.

Anyone using S1s strictly in a stereo mode - either from a mixer or from a device like the Play Acoustic or VE8? If I ran stereo from a mixer to an L1C on one side and an S1 on a stand on another - seems like it would not be optimum.
I know we can chain them together by running vocals/guitar into one S1 then output to the second. I read prior posts but I did not see a good analysis of using the S1s in stereo (not through the app).

Davidc
Old 11-17-2018, 08:26 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcopper View Post
Hey Methos- why don’t your try (if you already have, forgive me) running stereo out from your VE8 to Right/Left S1s
For me a second S1 was all about being able to send music to it in another room of a venue out of line of sight. We play many a small venue that is set up like this so having the ability to wirelessly send the music to a speaker in another room would be optimum. But since you can't do that with the S1's Bluetooth I'm just as well to keep the QSC and use my Xvive wireless to accomplish the same thing. I'm going to give that a try next.
Old 11-17-2018, 03:04 PM

Bluetooth is great for recorded music and audio for video, but there's far too much latency for it to be used for live sound reenforcement. You are looking at at least a half second delay!
Old 11-17-2018, 06:31 PM
AGF Sponsor

Low latency AptX spec is 32 ms. FYI.
Old 11-17-2018, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDWilliams View Post
Low latency AptX spec is 32 ms. FYI.

That’s an improvement for sure, but 32ms is a heck of a long time in live sound!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification