The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-02-2018, 03:33 PM

Default Bose L1 compact... but now there’s the S1 Pro

I’ve wanted a L1 compact for a while but now there is the new S1. Does the S1 compete with and replace the L1 for those that have used both? Or are they different animals?
Old 11-02-2018, 05:06 PM

I have both and I'd say they are not compete each other. Simply different animals so to speak
Old 11-02-2018, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by napman View Post
I have both and I'd say they are not compete each other. Simply different animals so to speak
I know this isn't my thread, but how are they different? Where would you use one but not the other?

Last edited by RedJoker; 11-02-2018 at 06:59 PM.
Old 11-02-2018, 06:29 PM

I have both (L1 classic) also. The S1 is quite the speaker. The L1 is simply the best I have used (for me anyway). But I went to the GC for a powered speaker a few weeks ago. Was going to spend $200 for something I could practice with and not set up the L1. I had borrowed a Beringer powered speaker and it seemed fine for a low key unit. Skipping ahead, the sales person asked if I had questions so I said yes, why is this little speaker is $600? He said it’s quite the speaker, would you want to hear it? It has Bluetooth 😰 so I linked it to my phone and listened to things I am quite familiar with, walked all around the room. And it sounded very nice. After showing me the control panel he asked if I noticed that there was no power cord attached. Built in battery! And it sounds this good? 8 hours of power....I have another S1 coming. And now I need a dust cover for the L1 😇. Most of the places we play will easily be covered by two of these speakers and the sound will be quite nice. And loading/unloading just got easier.
Old 11-02-2018, 09:06 PM
Charter Member

I have an L1C and an S1. Each has some great features: I appreciate the reverb and tonematch on each channel on the S1. I have said here that I consider the S1 "about half of an L1c" - and that is absolutely NOT a put-down of the S1. To get the same "reach" with the S1, you really need to consider a speaker stand... which negates the compact size. The footprint of the L1C is great - takes only marginally more space than the S1, but gives you the bass down low and the highs just above head level.

Of course, the slick answer is: one of each. I use mine together. Run the guitar and mic into a TC Helicon Gxt or a Play Acoustic, run the guitar and mic out lines to the S1, then a direct line out to the L1C. Depending on the room shape/size, you can point both forward (I use the S1 on the floor, and closer to me), or use the S1 as a monitor with the L1C more forward.

Depending on the room and crowd size, either would be a good choice. I like the reverb, small size, and battery option with the S1. The L1C has more spread and seems a bit more full. Both are easy/fast to set up and cart around.
Old 11-02-2018, 09:09 PM
Charter Member

Different animals... both get very solid reviews from those users who actually USE the things they were designed...

The S1 looks amazing to me... I would buy one in a heartbeat, IF I had a reason to have it! I have a wonderful little AER Compact 60, which is a fantastic amp and works for both my vocals and 6 and 12 string guitars... puts out way more sound than one could ever imagine from it's size... which is, roughly about the size and weight of the Bose S1.

I own (and LOVE) a Bose L1 Model II, with one B1 cabinet... and it's simply the finest rig for acoustic guitar and voice that I have ever used or heard in over 50 years of playing out live in restaurants, bars, coffeehouse, some bigger venues, some with amazing sound systems... but the L1 is absolutely nonpareil!!!

The L1 Compact is the "baby brother" of mine... it is definitely for smaller venues, but works on the same principles of sound dispersion. Cool little units - BUT, if you start trying to run 2 or 3 or 4 players through it at the same time, that is NOT how it was designed to be used... it will work and sound decent, but the L1 was really made for ONE performer.

Find a place that has them and knows about them - give them a call and set up a time to go in with YOUR guitar and mic, and check the thing out... that's what I did, before I bought my first L1 system (some idiot stole one of my speaker columns so I had to upgrade). Makes sense to be sure you get what you really want... they are pricey, after all.
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 11-03-2018, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jseth View Post
if you start trying to run 2 or 3 or 4 players through it at the same time, that is NOT how it was designed to be used... it will work and sound decent, but the L1 was really made for ONE performer.
While I agree that's what an L1-C was designed for, I've read multiple threads where duo's (duets ?) were using them with little mixers, two guitars/two voices , guitar/mandolin /2 voices etc., with a powered speaker line out if the room got too big or loud.

Heck, I think some are doing that with the S1-Pro.

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg
Old 11-03-2018, 06:51 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
To get the same "reach" with the S1, you really need to consider a speaker stand... which negates the compact size. The footprint of the L1C is great - takes only marginally more space than the S1, but gives you the bass down low and the highs just above head level.
I have the L1 Model 2, the L1 Compact and the S1 Pro and I’m in agreement with Captain Jim. If was considering using the S1 Pro on its own, I would want it on a speaker stand. By the time I set up the speaker stand I could have the L1 Compact set up, taking up less space and offering the benefits of more coverage and more low end.

So I use my S1 Pro at home, on a speaker stand as a practice amp and then as a floor monitor with the other L1 systems when I’m playing line. It’s a great little unit but I would not consider it a replacement for the L1 Compact (just as I would not consider the L1 Compact as a replacement for my Model 2.)

Matt
Old 11-03-2018, 10:59 AM
Charter Member

While I agree that's what an L1-C was designed for, I've read multiple threads where duo's (duets ?) were using them with little mixers, two guitars/two voices , guitar/mandolin /2 voices etc., with a powered speaker line out if the room got too big or loud.

I've heard lots of L1 Compacts supporting duos and they sound great. Last night these dudes weren't just doing vocals with two guitars, but tons of effects through enough pedals to stress the county's power grid. I had one of those moments where I was looking for the subwoofer supplementing the Compact, but it was just the Compact. And they sounded not just loud enough (too loud at times because welp) but great. The lead guitarist was playing hard-edged electric guitar effects, southern rock, Pink Floyd, bluesy attacks and so on.

You can't tell from this photo, but it's a gazebo where the only wall is the one you see behind them--it's open air on the other sides and they're facing a very large back yard with a large and noisy crowd. The lad on the right told me they use it for bar crowds up to 250 no problem. I think that might be pushing it, but the Compact can be used for more than quiet introspective wine tastings.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg regina party band2.jpg (53.7 KB, 199 views)
Old 11-03-2018, 03:33 PM

Default Bose L1 compact... but now there’s the S1 Pro

My L1c gets quite ballsy when I set the volume up past the half way mark. I have played patio gigs and had nothing but compliments even from tables far away.
I use it often for duo's with a T1, but love it best with just me and my guitar going into it.
I would buy an S1 if I could think of a good enough reason to have both.
Old 11-03-2018, 06:42 PM
Charter Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy Slaw View Post

Heck, I think some are doing that with the S1-Pro.
I did not say it wouldn't work well for multiple signal sources... and I've used mine that way, from time to time...

However, the first time I took my L1 to a gig, and my partner brought his L1S on stage... I was STUNNED by how much better the overall sound was, how much lower my main volume needed to be, how clearly I could hear every thing he played and sang, and he with me.

I was already a huge fan of the Bose L1 rigs, and I don't have a lot of $$$ to waste... but I understand now, why Bose keeps saying "each performer should have their own L1"... it ain't just because they want more dough from us!

Playing with two (or three) L1's on stage is simply a magnificent experience - and I already loved the sound they produce.

A little L1C that's got two or three different folks playing and singing through it, is going to max out pretty easily at any sort of higher db levels... and the separate signals begin to "run together" a bit... worse as you push the unit.

My caveat was simply that the L1's are exemplary PA's when used as they were designed...
are near...

Old 11-04-2018, 01:02 AM

Quote:

I own (and LOVE) a Bose L1 Model II, with one B1 cabinet... and it's simply the finest rig for acoustic guitar and voice that I have ever used or heard in over 50 years of playing out live in restaurants, bars, coffeehouse, some bigger venues, some with amazing sound systems... but the L1 is absolutely nonpareil!!!

The L1 Compact is the "baby brother" of mine... it is definitely for smaller venues, but works on the same principles of sound dispersion. Cool little units - BUT, if you start trying to run 2 or 3 or 4 players through it at the same time, that is NOT how it was designed to be used... it will work and sound decent, but the L1 was really made for ONE performer.
The L1 Model II and the L1 Compact seem redundant to me. I would imagine that the Compact probably isn't considerably more compact than the L1 Model II, and just turning the volume down on the flagship model would produce similar results as the compact.

It seems that people like the L1 Model II's for their ease of use. I guess I just wonder how much easier the L1C really is. Seems like the same amount of pieces. Are they really that much lighter to justify owning both?
Old 11-04-2018, 01:41 AM
Charter Member

Well, I guess... if you have the gigs making the dough to buy one. I sure don't, leastways not around here, not yet...

The Compact IS a LOT lighter than my L1 Model II rig... is I only had a guitar and a mic (not both 6 and 12 strings), and I could plug straight in to the thing and be pleased with the sound... well, that would mean I could walk nto the gig with the Compact in ONE arm/hand, guitar in the other. They are that light.

The Compact has 1/4 the speakers in the columns that the LI Model II has - it has a sub, but the sub on the Compact is actually the base unit as well. The "empty" extra speaker column weighs next to nothing. I bet the whole thing is under 20#s, all in...

Of course, two inputs doesn't do it, then I have to bring a mixer, and ac cable, and all the attendant "other stuff".

I've heard the Compacts with one guy, one voice, one guitar, ONLY through that - no mixer, no extras... and the thing's sound dynamite. As with my L1 Model II, the Compact will cover a LOT more space than one might imagine... but NOT at "IN YOUR FACE" volume levels...

Seems to me that any redundancy would be between the S1 and the L1C...?
are near...

Old 11-04-2018, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Well, I guess... if you have the gigs making the dough to buy one. I sure don't, leastways not around here, not yet...

The Compact IS a LOT lighter than my L1 Model II rig... is I only had a guitar and a mic (not both 6 and 12 strings), and I could plug straight in to the thing and be pleased with the sound... well, that would mean I could walk nto the gig with the Compact in ONE arm/hand, guitar in the other. They are that light.

The Compact has 1/4 the speakers in the columns that the LI Model II has - it has a sub, but the sub on the Compact is actually the base unit as well. The "empty" extra speaker column weighs next to nothing. I bet the whole thing is under 20#s, all in...

Of course, two inputs doesn't do it, then I have to bring a mixer, and ac cable, and all the attendant "other stuff".

I've heard the Compacts with one guy, one voice, one guitar, ONLY through that - no mixer, no extras... and the thing's sound dynamite. As with my L1 Model II, the Compact will cover a LOT more space than one might imagine... but NOT at "IN YOUR FACE" volume levels...

Seems to me that any redundancy would be between the S1 and the L1C...?

Ok, that makes perfect sense. I’ve played through both but haven’t transported or set up either system. Thank you
Old 11-04-2018, 08:10 AM
Charter Member

The L1 Model II with a B2 Bass Module:

L1 Model II Cylindrical Radiator® loudspeaker top:43.5" H x 3.5" W x 4" D (16.3 lbs)
L1 Model II Cylindrical Radiator® loudspeaker bottom:43.5" H x 3.5" W x 4" D (17.4 lbs)
L1 Model II power stand:5" H x 10" W x 27" D (23.7 lbs)
B2 bass module:23.4" H x 13.31" W x 18.9" D (45 lbs)

(from the Bose site) For a total of around 102 pounds. Granted, it breaks down into smaller bits, but it is still "more than one trip."

The L1C weighs 29 pounds total; the speaker in the tower fits in the bass cabinet, the other two extensions go in a case that weighs very little and goes over a shoulder; carry the bass unit with one hand. That leaves the other hand to carry a guitar or open doors.

The L1 Model II is a larger, more powerful PA than the L1C. But, if playing for up to 100 people, the L1C truly is "compact" and fast/easy.

I agree that the S1 and the L1C are closer in capability, and the L1 Model II is on a whole different level (and weight). From my experience, (and I have said this before here) the S1 is "about half of an L1C." The L1 Model II is more than twice as much (power/coverage) of an L1C.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification