The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-03-2018, 02:31 PM
Guest 829

Default Ambient Reverb Discussion

I wonder how many of these very ambient reverb effects (Strymon etc) are useable in live situations especially when a lot of rooms are less than ideal in regards to already present reverb which is hard to tame as it is?

If your live show depends on these ambient effects what do you do in such times ?
Old 10-03-2018, 06:35 PM
Charter Member

I use the reverb built into the Boss VE-8 as the 'standard' reverb for both my guitar and my wife's vocals and the Bose S1 reverb on my mic which goes straight in to channel 2.

But I also use a Neunaber Wet Reverb programmed to be a Seraphim Reverb for ambient/shimmer effect on certain songs and you are exactly right - that over the top ambient reverb can be hard to tame.

It depends on the room and volume and depending the background crowd noise in the venue it's sometimes not even worth the bother.

As part of my sound check I'm sure to always try to engage the shimmer/ambient reverb at volume to see if there is going to be a problem.

For venues where it is a problem or where I'm trying to travel as light as possible I'll sometimes use the Boss VE-8's chorus with some other effects added in or just turn up the guitar reverb on the Boss higher to get at least a little ambiance.
Old 10-05-2018, 07:18 PM

Find sounds you like at home and dial them back in live settings. Reverb can be useful live you just need less. You can use more solo than in a group without things getting muddy.
National Polychrome Tricone
National Model D Squareneck
Weber Gallatin A Mandolin

http://www.bandmix.com/jon-nilsen/
https://www.bandmix.com/limberlost/

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification