The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-04-2018, 03:28 PM

One more thing, the CP8 seems to be dead quiet. The DBR10 has enough hiss to let you know it's on in a quiet room.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 10-04-2018, 05:10 PM

Thanks for the review
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 10-04-2018, 07:04 PM
Charter Member

Jon, thank you for the great review!

I am considering this configuration for us for retirement home gigs:

Rose: Mic & guitar into Boss VE-8 --> channel 1 CP8

Tom: guitar into ToneDexter --> channel 2 CP8
Old 10-04-2018, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonfields45 View Post
One more thing, the CP8 seems to be dead quiet. The DBR10 has enough hiss to let you know it's on in a quiet room.
Thanks for letting us know about the noise. IMO, that's one big area where QSC knocks it out of the park and beats the competition every time. They always seem to be dead quiet. I still own the original K12's and probably won't replace them with the K12.2's as these still sound superb. When I turn them on in my basement and stand next to them, I can't even tell if they are really on. I often have to check the light to confirm this.

I am definitely going to pick up one of the K8's as another monitor.
Old 10-05-2018, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonfields45 View Post
Jon, have you tried the Bose S1 Pro and, if so, how does it compare it to the CP8? It would seem to me that the CP8 is "intended" to compete directly with the S1 so a comparison would be useful.

Phil

I play Crosby, Emerald, Larrivée, Lowden, Rainsong & Tacoma guitars.
Check out my Guitar Website. See guitar photos & info at my Guitars page.
Old 10-05-2018, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philjs View Post
Jon, have you tried the Bose S1 Pro and, if so, how does it compare it to the CP8? It would seem to me that the CP8 is "intended" to compete directly with the S1 so a comparison would be useful.

Phil
I've got experience with the Loudbox Mini Charge but not the S1 Pro. No doubt "CP" stands for consumer product, but I think the CP series is meant to compete with entry level, 1000 marketing watt, powered PA speakers such as Mackie SRM, Yamaha DBR, JBL EON6xx, etc. The CP8 is a much more powerful and louder box than the LBMC judging by my pseudo scientific blast "Hey 19" in my basement and see if I can cause pain without distortion or a clip light illuminating. In a previous post on power consumption measurements I made the claim than ~4 watts continuous (~40 watt peak to prevent obvious clipping distortion) was pretty incredibly loud. I suspect I could put an S1 on a pole and cover all my duo gigs with it, but I've not had one to try and the LBMC is not pole mountable. In my retired EE lazy not willing to lug (or even own) a lot of stuff opinion, most acoustic acts carry way more gear than they need. I'm even of the opinion that your sound dispersion should never be more than 90 degrees. Not everyone wants to hear you.

Jon Fields

Last edited by jonfields45; 10-06-2018 at 10:57 AM.
Old 10-06-2018, 07:06 AM

Thanks Jon for your report. I like the the size and lightweight of the CP8. If it's as good as the original QSC K8 or very close to it, I might be interested in getting one.
Old 10-06-2018, 07:31 AM

I just noticed that the CP series is passively cooled. The chassis has no vent holes. Looking through the front port (top right on my CP8) there is no sign of a fan in what you can see of the perforated metal cage the electronics is surrounded by. First restaurant gig tonight.

Jon Fields
Old 10-06-2018, 07:34 AM

GC here in Phoenix had a pile of the new CPs displayed at the entrance I didn’t get to hear them but picked up the lil one... nice. Had to grab a Boss Kantana 50 and a couple amp stands for a lil guitar video ... the kids banging on drums and playing or maybe beating on guitars real loud in cranked amps they will never buy always run me out.
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 10-06-2018, 10:25 PM

I played my first restaurant gig with the CP8 tonight. It was one of those worst case gigs where they remove a corner 4-top and we need to play in that tiny space with the speaker behind us only a foot or two. I don't know what they heard out in the restaurant but close in, the CP8 is a big step up from the DBR10. My guitar sounded good to me which I don't usually experience when I am that close to the speaker. I suspect from a decent distance it would be indistinguishable from my older DBR10 or any decent speaker.

Jon Fields
Old 10-06-2018, 11:29 PM

I would suggest checking out powered speakers on Groupon. Lots of choices at a lot less cost. Many of them work fine.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification