The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 09-30-2018, 04:45 AM
Charter Member

Default Xvive wireless mic system

I got this in an email just now and assume it's a new product for this company. I use the wireless guitar system with my mandolin and like it. Amazon says it was first listed there in August but there are no reviews posted. Does anyone have any experience with the mic system yet?

http://www.xviveaudio.com/productInfo.asp?id=366
Old 09-30-2018, 09:07 AM
Charter Member

I do. It actually works great.
Old 09-30-2018, 12:55 PM

Can the receiver be plugged into the input of a phantom power supply for it to work with a condenser mic ?
Old 09-30-2018, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverspur View Post
Can the receiver be plugged into the input of a phantom power supply for it to work with a condenser mic ?
Is the question is:
1) Will the Xvive send wirelessly 48v phantom power to a condenser mic? (I doubt that)
the website says "Working With XLR dynamic microphone and battery-powered condenser microphones."
So I'd say no.

2) Can the receiver be powered by phantom power?
3) Will the receiver be damaged by phantom power?

Aaron can you answer the 2 last questions?

I might add one:
4) Can Xvive U2 and U3 work together without interferences?

Cuki
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
http://acousticir.free.fr/
Old 09-30-2018, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuki79 View Post
Is the question is:
1) Will the Xvive send wirelessly 48v phantom power to a condenser mic? (I doubt that)
the website says "Working With XLR dynamic microphone and battery-powered condenser microphones."
So I'd say no.

2) Can the receiver be powered by phantom power?
3) Will the receiver be damaged by phantom power?

Aaron can you answer the 2 last questions?

I might add one:
4) Can Xvive U2 and U3 work together without interferences?

Cuki
I can't answer the U3/U2 working together question but in my experience, the U2 is not even reliable enough to work on its own. Maybe I had bad luck but I had two U2 systems at one time (from different dealers) and both were terrible in terms of background interference. The U3 looks awesome but I am hesitant to give Xvive another try. I should say that I was using passive pickups with the U2 so the active issue can be ruled out. When I did try it with an active guitar there was a loud whining tone.
Old 09-30-2018, 05:13 PM
Charter Member

It cannot be powered and will not provide phantom. I find the U2 to work best on channel 1, the U3 then needs to be on a different channel, 6 seems to work. I had some drop outs until I played around with this but I have now competed two gigs with no drop outs. Of course any wireless system can have issues but I recommend these.
Old 09-30-2018, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroUSA View Post
It cannot be powered and will not provide phantom. I find the U2 to work best on channel 1, the U3 then needs to be on a different channel, 6 seems to work. I had some drop outs until I played around with this but I have now competed two gigs with no drop outs. Of course any wireless system can have issues but I recommend these.
Any noticeable change in tone from the cable to the U3? I don't even need a wireless mic but if I can cut down the use of cables then I am all for it.

On a side note, maybe I am overthinking this but couldn't the U3 be used between a mixer and speaker?
Old 09-30-2018, 06:06 PM
Charter Member

Yes you could use it for a remote speaker, it’s great if you need a wireless mic for speeches. I don’t think we should be using it for regular gigs, what’s the point?
The quality is fine to my ears and I used it at a kids event where I didnt want them to trip over anything but for a regular bar gig I will still use a mic cable. I can’t be charging these things up five times per week.

I’ll try to make a video demo for my channel soon.
Old 09-30-2018, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroUSA View Post
Yes you could use it for a remote speaker, it’s great if you need a wireless mic for speeches. I don’t think we should be using it for regular gigs, what’s the point?
The quality is fine to my ears and I used it at a kids event where I didnt want them to trip over anything but for a regular bar gig I will still use a mic cable. I can’t be charging these things up five times per week.

I’ll try to make a video demo for my channel soon.
I play in a four piece band with a total of four singers and 8-9 instruments. The stage becomes a bit of a nightmare with cables. Going wireless for my mic would just be such a time saver and make clean up a bit easier. Not necessary I agree but if it works I would definitely go that route.

The speaker wireless system is intriguing though. I often play shows where I need the speakers spaced apart and although my 25ft cables do the trick, they are often right at the end without any more room to spare. Having one wireless speaker could be nice.
Old 09-30-2018, 06:52 PM

Petty
you could also use the regular xVive guitar wireless as well to send the signal to the powered speaker.
Old 09-30-2018, 09:24 PM

Decided to give one a try and ordered this morning. Amazon US had 8 left in stock. I think I'll try it out as an in ear monitor solution with one of these:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...itor-amplifier
06 Taylor Koa T5
09 Takamine 12 string
11 Taylor NS24ce-LTD
13 Gibson Les Paul Standard
14 Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass
16 Taylor 524ce Mahogany
16 Taylor GS Mini Mahogany
17 PRS SE Custom 24
23 Taylor GS Mini Walnut LTD

---------------------

Last edited by Akousticplyr; 10-01-2018 at 02:00 PM. Reason: Hyperlink change
Old 10-01-2018, 11:18 AM

I like mine. Gigged with it this weekend.
Great for sounds checks so you can walk around.
Old 10-01-2018, 06:14 PM
Charter Member

Thanks to all who have responded thus far. I'm not sold on the idea that I need something other than a cable as we play small rooms. I'm usually only running 10 feet or less from the mic to either a Bose S1 or Loudbox Artist. It's an interesting idea but I'm not sure I'll purchase it just yet.
Old 10-01-2018, 06:19 PM

You should also look at the tried and proven Line6 G30 and G50’s. Yes they cost more but are very dependable. I have a few, all purchased used in mint condition, they work with all of my acoustic and electric guitars. I’d try one of these for your mike needs.
Emerald X20
Rainsong H-OM1000N2
Voyage-Air VAD-04
Custom Les Paul
Hot Rod Deville 410, Fishman Loudbox Performer
Old 12-26-2018, 09:42 AM

Default Xvive wireless mic system

I just got my second Xvive U3. It really is a great product.

I opted for the Boss WL20 for my guitar over the Xvive U2 because of it’s lower latency and simplicity. Now I can do my standard duo gig (guitar plus two mics) completely wirelessly.

A cool thing with the U3 is that it has a mic/line level switch, so it should be useful both for wireless mics and wireless mixer to speaker connections!

Last edited by lkingston; 12-26-2018 at 10:23 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification