The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 09-29-2018, 06:26 PM

Default How can I remove unwanted piezo pickup sound?

Hi all,

First post here... I have a Martin DXM (all hpl) that I bought years ago and recently added a JJB 330 to it to try amplification. When plugged directly into a Loudbox Mini (or Mini Charge, or even my little Fender amp) it makes this constant droning, ringing sound when I strum some chords.

I can't seem to get rid of it with any amp settings. I also tried going through an old Boss PS-5 pedal with no difference that I can hear. Any ideas? Is it likely some sort of preamp could help me get rid of this? Am I just due for a real guitar?
Old 09-29-2018, 07:25 PM

I wonder if one of those sound hold rubber plugs would help. It sounds to me like the pickup is picking up the tones of the guitar from the amp and reproducing that tone resulting in the feedback. I'd watch the guitar placement relative to the amp. Try standing/sitting beside and farther away from the amp instead of right in front of it
Old 09-29-2018, 08:00 PM

I wonder if something is rattling on or inside the guitar creating the sound and then the pickup is picking it up. I've had similar sounds in a couple of occasions before. Once a tuning peg thing on the headstock wasn't screwed down fully and it was rattling. The other time, a wire was rattling against the guitar body and those clicks were being picked up. Idk if something like that is the issue there, but it's worth checking.
Old 09-29-2018, 08:51 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. It seems to only happen with some chords - C, E, G and maybe a couple others. It's most obvious with a pick. As soon as I put a capo on any fret, it doesn't happen anymore. I tried covering the soundhole with cardboard and I stuffed a rag under the strings behind the nut, but it sounded the same. All of the tuners and washers are tight. I've tried different positioning and lowered the volume and I can still hear it. I'll see if I can set up something with headphones to rule out placement for sure. Maybe I'll have to take the strings off to get a good look at the wires and whatnot. The search continues...
Old 09-30-2018, 04:54 AM

I hear it, but if you did not point it out and you were performing at a local restaurant I would not have noticed. It may just be how that guitar is going to sound.

There are two experiments worth trying:

Borrow a sound hole magnetic pickup to see if that helps.

Try strumming closer to the fret board to see if that makes it less obvious.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 09-30-2018, 05:31 AM

Firstly, the overall sound is pretty good.
I can hear what you're talking about. After you try everything suggested here and the issue is still present, you could cut it out with some parametric (or semi) EQ.
It sounds like it just one main unpleasant spot on the frequency spectrum.
Old 09-30-2018, 06:21 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monsum View Post
After you try everything suggested here and the issue is still present, you could cut it out with some parametric (or semi) EQ.
It sounds like it just one main unpleasant spot on the frequency spectrum.
I think this is the most likely answer.

I'd also like to welcome you to the wonderful world of chasing the Holy Grail of My-Guitar-Only-Louder. You are about to embark on a journey of wonder and expense.
Old 09-30-2018, 07:59 AM

Welcome aboard. Great answers so far. As you've seen, there is no one answer. The first thing I would do is move from the room you're in to a much larger, open room and, keeping the volume low (reasonable) see if it disappears. Sometimes "phantom" noises are due to an area that is too small, or too hard (echos), for the volume you are playing. If that doesn't work, I too would EQ it to suit your likes.
Old 09-30-2018, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaximus View Post
As soon as I put a capo on any fret, it doesn't happen anymore.
I wonder therefore:

- if this is a nut issue that the pickup is sensitive to, eg one of the slots may be a little too low causing the string to rattle against the first fret
-or one of the slots may be too big/wide , causing the string to move around within it
-or the first fret needs dressing or tapping back in

Obviously you would expect to get problems unplugged also, but sometimes the tiniest thing can cause a problem that maybe you are not hearing unplugged

I would get a guitar tech to check out these issues, and whilst he's at it check the pickup installation as again this is a known problem area (did you glue the 330 in yourself?)

Ruling out guitar set up and installation I would notch it out as the others suggest. A good preamp will always improve the sound of a pick up system.
Old 09-30-2018, 10:46 AM

Thanks for all of the suggestions! I tuned it down and put a capo on the first fret and it still exists for the same chords which leads me to believe it's not a nut or fret issue. It seems to be much more noticeable when two or more of the treble strings are open. It is less noticeable for A chords, I don't hear it at all when for D chords, but it's obvious all the way up the neck with open chords. I did install the 330 myself so perhaps that is the issue. I'll try a few more experiments but it sounds like EQ will be my best bet. Thanks, everybody.
Old 10-01-2018, 07:35 AM

If you superglued the 330 you may be stuck.
If not you may fool with the placement of the
high end sensor. Eq is key like mentioned above.
you have to dial back the offending frequency.
to me it sounds like a good wide mid cut is warranted.
somewhere between 500-800 hz A wide Q and
a good cut. If it's too much you could narrow
the Q and sweep the freq till you find it.
If you know someone with a good parametric eq
that knows how to use it.
perhaps they could help you use it to experiment with ..

Last edited by varmonter; 10-01-2018 at 07:42 AM.
Old 10-01-2018, 08:56 AM

They are super glued... I don't think I know anybody that would have an EQ. Any recommendations to buy? I should be able to take my guitar to a store and try one.
Old 10-01-2018, 08:13 PM

An update if anybody is interested: I ended up visiting GC tonight and got to try an MXR Ten Band EQ and an LR Baggs Para DI. Just cutting 1kHz on the MXR made a huge difference. Listen below, I click it on about half way:

It's still kind of there, but it's much more bearable and I might not have noticed if I wasn't listening for it. It's funny how sitting in a room playing one or two annoying chords over and over can make you unsure of what you're actually hearing...

I didn't have as much luck with the Para DI. I was able to get it close, but it didn't sound quite as good. I'm sure that was entirely user error since I have no experience with these. With some time and practice, I'm sure I could get a better sound out of both of them.

Now I just need to figure out which EQ to buy. So many options...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification