The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 08-11-2018, 11:44 AM
Charter Member

At the Bose forum there was some discussion comparing the S1 to the new Mackie, and one fellow did a fairly detailed comparison. His post is near the end of the thread.

https://www.bosepro.community/g/port...92682241938249
Old 08-12-2018, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkingston View Post
I have a Bose S1, an Elite Acoustics D6-8, and a Sunburst Gear M6BR8, so I am in a pretty good position to compare the models I own.

The Bose 40 Watts feels slightly more powerful than the Elite Acoustics 40 Watts, though they are close. The S1 has more “throw”. The Elite Acoustics and Sunburst Gear amps use the same high frequency driver and it is conical like what you would expect from a near field studio monitor. Very different than the 140 x 40 degrees pattern than you get from the S1. Prettier sounding up close, but not nearly as practical in a live music setting.

The D6-8 mixer is absolutely wonderful and full featured. I’m talking sweepable mids, variable high pass, compressors and notch filters on every channel. Stereo aux sends. Phantom power. Separate gain and volume controls and comprehensive metering.

I use both the D6-8 and the S1 Live. I point the D6-8 at myself and mix and monitor from it. I put the S1 on a speaker stand and use it to get the sound out to the audience.
This small mexican bistro is the only place
i use the m6br8. It really is high fidelity ,battery powered
and sounds so good to my ear. But is limited
to a small 20-30 audience. the room i play is
probably 18x20 and it fills it easily. But folks are there
to listen and eat not drink and socialize. So
it works good there.
Old 08-12-2018, 03:13 PM
Charter Member

Dave,
We play small rooms and my S1 has replaced my Fishman Loudbox Artist as a PA for these rooms. I didn't like my guitar sound at a gig last week but realized that I had the pickup volume at about 30% so wasn't giving the amp much to work with! Stick with the S1 and just add another speaker to the line out as needed as I did last week to provide some volume out into the parking lot.
Old 08-12-2018, 05:26 PM

Default Bose S1 Pro Alternative

I have some good news for the Bose S1 fans. I’m using the passive K&K with the Xvive U2 wireless bugs. I’ve been using them with the S1 on a pole, away from walls, (thanks Aaron) with just the onboard EQ, and it’s killing it! It might be the best analog sound I’ve had in years. The ToneDexter and Aura have gotten slightly more “airy” tone, but this sounds about as good as I need it. And, it’s totally battery powered and requires nothing inside the guitar.

Wow.

Stay tuned, I WILL change my mind in no time.

I had ordered the Mackie FreePlay Live. It arrives Wednesday. But, I think I’ll just leave it at the office for now.

Last edited by martingitdave; 08-12-2018 at 05:36 PM.
Old 08-13-2018, 04:56 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
I have some good news for the Bose S1 fans. I’m using the passive K&K with the Xvive U2 wireless bugs. I’ve been using them with the S1 on a pole, away from walls, (thanks Aaron) with just the onboard EQ, and it’s killing it! It might be the best analog sound I’ve had in years. The ToneDexter and Aura have gotten slightly more “airy” tone, but this sounds about as good as I need it. And, it’s totally battery powered and requires nothing inside the guitar.

Wow.

I had ordered the Mackie FreePlay Live. It arrives Wednesday. But, I think I’ll just leave it at the office for now.
Good stuff, thanks!
Old 08-15-2018, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post

Wow.

On the Bose forum, it appears that the consensus is that both the S1 and the Freeplay Live sound very close and punch well above their weight class, but that the S1 is a little more powerful in spite of it’s lower wattage rating. I will be interested in your take on the difference between the two products.
Old 08-15-2018, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkingston View Post
On the Bose forum, it appears that the consensus is that both the S1 and the Freeplay Live sound very close and punch well above their weight class, but that the S1 is a little more powerful in spite of it’s lower wattage rating. I will be interested in your take on the difference between the two products.
I received my Mackie FreePlay Live this afternoon. I'm not sure how much time I will have to play with it until the weekend. I don't expect it will send the Bose packing.
Old 08-15-2018, 06:10 PM

I started a new thread on the Mackie FreePlay Live
Old 08-15-2018, 06:31 PM

[QUOTE I started a new thread on the Mackie FreePlay Live ][/QUOTE]

Is it up yet? Can't seem to find it.

Paul
Yamaha FSX800C
Bose L1c
Schertler Jam 100
Gretsch G2655
Gretsch G5655T
Old 08-15-2018, 06:36 PM

Yup. Just hit post.
Old 12-11-2018, 06:04 AM

Hello

Sorry for digging out this thread.

I'm a singer (only) and i sing along with 2 acoustic guitar players, one of which is chorist, and i sometimes do duets with her.

Our rehearsal room is small (merely 10 m2), no need for a huge power but we may want to play in open air, sometimes.

I was staring at the Bose S1 but some people said the sound is not so accurate. Then i read some reviews about elite acoustics D6-8. It seems to have plenty of inputs.

My needs are :

1 speaker, very accurate for the voices
2 Mics, (condenser KMS105)
and one input for a beatbuddy pedal.

The S1 will need a mixer in order to accept this stuff, but how to manage to gig in open air ? That is the reason why i 'm now looking at D6-8.

What are your advices ? S1 with a battery powered mixer ? (does this exist?)

D6-8 and basta ?

Thank you in advance.

G21
Old 12-11-2018, 06:16 AM

According to consensus and online demos, the D6-8 is better sounding and has more features but the Bose is louder.
Old 12-11-2018, 07:11 AM

I am using an SM57 with my S1-Pro in channel 2 to mic my guitar and mandolin and resonator, and singing through channel 1 with an SM58.

It's pretty sweet, I haven't gigged it this way yet (I also have an L1-Compact and a mixer) but have gotten pretty loud in my music room with it and think it'll work great on a pole stand.

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg
Old 12-11-2018, 07:33 AM
Charter Member

I have an L1 Compact, although most of the time my duo (2 guitars 2 vocals) plays through its big brother. I wont talk about those here, but I will talk about the tonematch t1 mixer.

This little mixer (prior version runs $250 used) is simply outstanding. Great effects, reverb... presets for my different guitar (some are K&K, some are Baggs Element VTC, one is a Trance MVT).

I bet this little mixer, with an S1, would be just as powerful and sound enhancing as it is with the L1 Compact. Best $250 I ever spent on live sound.
Old 12-12-2018, 02:27 AM

Yes, i was thinking about tonematch, but it is discontinued. Now it is T4 (way more expensive)

A question : is a T1 battery powered ?

Thank you in advance.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification