The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 06-13-2017, 03:34 PM
Charter Member

Default AER 60/3 v Schertler Jam 200 v Fishman Loudbox Artist

Hello,

which of these is your favorite amp and why? What are their downsides?

I gig 4-5 times/year with a band, and use a K&K mini pickup in my acoustic guitar. I'm often, though not always, able to plug into a PA system.

Thanks for your advice!

Martin OM28 (European Spruce/EIR)
Collings OM3A (Adirondack/EIR)
Greven OOO (Lutz/Brazilian)
Greven OO (Lutz/Maple)
ARK Senorita S6-12 (Adirondack/Mahogany)
Circa OOO-12 (European Spruce/Mun Ebony)
Old 06-13-2017, 06:08 PM

The Jam 200 has more power because it is going to have more juice to drive the Bass. If your pickup already has a lot of bass response built in (which I have known K&K to do then I am not sure you will want an amp with a bigger bottom end. My new Compact 60 seems to have a flatter response. I don't seem to be cutting back the bass like I used to on my Schertler.

They are both very clean amps. You won't be disappointed with either one.
Oregon Duck Fan
Guitars by: Collings, Bourgeois, Taylor
Pickups by: Dazzo
Preamps by: Sunnaudio
Amps by: Bose (S1)
Grateful
Old 06-13-2017, 08:05 PM

if you put them behind a curtain and hook a A B C box and set the controls flat, you won't be able to tell the difference between them.....a store here has done this before and no one can tell the difference.
but I bet a dollar the people here will say they can tell the difference but won't try it

Dave
Old 06-13-2017, 08:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bho View Post
Hello,

which of these is your favorite amp and why? What are their downsides?

I gig 4-5 times/year with a band, and use a K&K mini pickup in my acoustic guitar. I'm often, though not always, able to plug into a PA system.

Thanks for your advice!
You may wish to wait for the soon to be released Mesa Boggie Rosette.

Back to your question, only you can decide based on your application, playing styles and technique, pickup(s) used and (of course) personal aesthetics and preferences. An acoustic amp with have (i) a feature set, (ii) sonics, (iii) behavior and (iv) ergonomics. Finding one that rings the bell on each (again, for you) is a worthy task.

Last edited by sdelsolray; 06-13-2017 at 08:19 PM.
Old 06-13-2017, 08:15 PM

Or the Hughes+Kettner Era1
Old 06-14-2017, 12:07 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyg1 View Post
Yep, that's actually the one I'm most excited about based on the involvement of ex AER amp designer Michael Eisenmann.
Old 06-14-2017, 12:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyg1 View Post
That's a nice looking amp. Cost seems like it will be comparable to the AER, in the range of $1200.

Martin OM28 (European Spruce/EIR)
Collings OM3A (Adirondack/EIR)
Greven OOO (Lutz/Brazilian)
Greven OO (Lutz/Maple)
ARK Senorita S6-12 (Adirondack/Mahogany)
Circa OOO-12 (European Spruce/Mun Ebony)
Old 06-14-2017, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bho View Post
That's a nice looking amp. Cost seems like it will be comparable to the AER, in the range of $1200.
It'll be interesting to see if the component selection and build is up to AER standards. I'd suppose this qualifies as the Compact60 v4.
Old 07-09-2017, 07:34 AM

In my experience, the AER sounds wonderful for guitar and so-so for vocals. It's more midrange focused, in my opinion, and cuts very well. The JAM sounds more like a PA - guitar, vocals, etc... everything sounds amazing through it. The Loudbox Artist seems somewhere in between. The reverb on the Loudbox is awesome, and while vocals sound better than the AER (to me), guitar isn't quite as clear and true.

Not sure how helpful that is, or whether it jives with others' experiences.
Old 07-09-2017, 08:15 AM

I can concur on that.
I bought the AER and returned it because of being so-so for vocals.
The Jam is better. Guitar and vocals, sound great!
Didn't try the Loudbox, so can't comment on that.
Old 07-09-2017, 09:01 AM
Charter Member

Depending on what type of band you are playing in....the extra low end in your guitar might not be needed. The bass and/or drums will cover that sonic range. Any of these amps should be able to cover the guitar amplification role. None of these amps is optimum for vocals in a band situation imo. I have used an aer on solo guitar/vocal gigs for years and they are great. With multiple instruments and singers I always go for a more traditional style PA.
Old 07-09-2017, 02:58 PM

Hughes+Kettner Era1 Looks great! I like the effects I heard on YouTube. I also like the fact you can have 2 different effects and levels on each channel. But I don't care for the master notch. I'd rather it be on the guitar channel with a phase button. Looking forward to more feedback on it (no pun intended) especially how vocals sound!
Buscarino Starlight nylon, Martin 000C-RGTE, Godin nylon duet ambiance, Breedlove Bossa Nova, cedar/EIR, Breedlove SC-20, cedar/walnut, Ovation Nylon LX1773, CA Cargo, CA GX, Larrivee 00-03, sitka/hog
Old 07-09-2017, 05:50 PM
Charter Member

I've owned a Jam 400 and currently own a Compact 60/3. Schertler and AER amps sound different. Both are quite good. I'm finding that with my guitar and pickup I prefer the Compact 60 but you might find the opposite.

For portability you can't really beat the Compact 60. The Schertlers are heavier and more bulky.
Old 07-10-2017, 10:15 AM

I've used all three, and still own two of them, so I'll offer up my thoughts on each.

AER: I did dig the sound of the acoustic guitar through this amp. Very punchy, midrange, and I found I could dial it in pretty easily. It sounded great when I added a little Tube Screamer, which I do sparingly. I wasn't a fan of the vocals through this amp, as others have mentioned. It's small, and very light. That's a big plus.

Schertler: I've used my Jam 200 as a PA in smaller rooms. Always on a tilt stand. The bass sound is great on this little amp. I have a Martin 00015M, so I didn't experience the "too much bass" that was mentioned above, though I could see how that might be the case, depending on the guitar/pickup... the Schertler definitely had the nicest low end of the three. I really like the vocals through this one. Great sweepable mids, reverb level and adjustable decay, and a nice adjustable DI out. The clearest, most "hi-fi" of the three. That wood finish, while probably a part of its great sound, requires some careful handling... it's easily scratched up. A lot of knobs on this one!

Fishman: Loudest of the three. I think the sound loses a little character when it's pushed hard, but this thing cranks. The newer Loudboxes have two full range combo inputs, which is a nice step up, and the reverb is very nice. I still use my older metal grille Fishman. It was the first decent acoustic guitar amp that I purchased. I always think of Fishman as the working man's gear. Their stuff just lasts, and if anything happens, their customer service is top notch.

I don't think you can go wrong with any of them, though they are certainly different. I'm happy we have choices, and such good ones at that.
Old 07-10-2017, 10:26 AM

Does it need to be a combo amp design? There are compact full range and flat response PA options in that price range.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification