The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-04-2017, 09:03 PM

Default Mic input on Loudbox

I have this new LR Baggs M1 passive which isn't a real hot pickup. I have been running it through a Behringer ADI21 into the mic input on my Loudbox Mini. (We're talking just for home use here.) I am getting a very nice sound and A LOT of volume. Compared to plugging it into the regular guitar channel with the ADI21, I get a nice sound also, maybe a little better, but not near the volume. I have to turn everything up a lot. Why would that be and is it OK to put it through the mic channel?

I have noticed also that in the guitar channel, The A string starts vibrating and feeding back until I hit the phase switch on the amp. Maybe my strings are too close to the pole? I didn't think that a phase switch would matter with a magnetic pickup?

Enlighten me please.
Alvarez AF60SHB
Seagull Concert Hall Mahogany
Harmony H1215. 1953
An 80 year old Kay (approx)
Epiphone ES-339
Epiphone Les Paul 50's Standard
3 home built Strat's
Old 12-04-2017, 09:43 PM
Charter Member

Well, the M1 is passive... so the signal it sends is high impedance, while the mic input on your Mini is low impedance... running it through a different unit (the Behringer) and out must be giving the signal the transformation from high>low - that's why it works through that input.

When you go into the regular channel on the Mini, the signal from the M1 is again "stepped down" to low impedance, BUT the channel "wants" to hear a high impedance signal... so you have to jack the controls around to get the sound you want... in essence, the input signal is weak when compared to what the input on the amp wants to see...

As for the feedback? Well, welcome to the Wonderful World of Amplifying Acoustic Guitars!

"The Cape" (Guy Clark/Jim Janowsky/Susanna Clark)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification