The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 07-22-2009, 05:47 PM

I generally keep the bridge open, and the neck at about 80%--i prefer a fairly bright tone...tone and relative volume also come from pickup height and balance, i tweek this first, then tone pots
Old 07-23-2009, 07:45 AM

Just watched Warren...pretty much the same thing I do only MUCH BETTER...Tone and volume are pre-set (in my case and I'm gonna guess, his) wide open. Pickup selection "typically" :down(bridge) for leads up the neck (higher, crisper) /up(neck) leads and rhythm down the neck (lower/rounder) and very little in between...maybe, some "both" for slide but, the neck pickup on a Les Paul is FABULOUS for slide so,...besides, when you're moving fast its hard to be precise..up or down is a no brainer...

He switches ALOT!
Old 07-26-2009, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kak1154 View Post
I think the folks so far have covered it, but I'll add my two cents to the mix. I run them all wide open, occasionally rolling off the volume to clean up or play softer. I find that anything less than 10 on the tone controls sounds muddy to me. This of course depends highly on your pickups and the rest of your signal chain.
This would be an indication that the tone and volume pots could be replaced by 500K pots. This is a very common mod on even Gibson Historics. 300K pots will produce mud when rolled off. Essentially you are missing all those wonderful tones available. Good quality and proper K on pots will give the same tone on any volume. This will give you a much larger tonal pallet to work with. Good luck.
Old 07-26-2009, 11:53 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobc View Post
I have a Les Paul and am not sure how to set the controls (volume tone). I have been setting them all in the middle to this point, but am now wondering if I should just set them all wide open.

Does tone mean simply more or less with electric guitars?
Does tone change with volume on electric guitars?

Does cranking both volume and tone controls all the way give me the (most) best possible tone?
I set my controls for the heart of the sun ...

Regards,

SpruceTop
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification