The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 12-08-2018, 05:57 AM

Default New Thom Bresh course, the first in many years!

I’m really looking forward to Thom Bresh’s upcoming course on TrueFire. AFAIK, Brush has only published one course: a DVD entitled “Like Father, Like Son” available from Homespun.

Bresh is Merle Travis’ son. For anyone hoping to get the Travis sound down, this is as close as you will ever get.

The course is coming some time in the first quarter of 2019, and the promotions have been appearing on his channels and on Truefire’s.

Last edited by srick; 12-08-2018 at 05:57 AM. Reason: Spellcheck is dumb
Old 12-10-2018, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srick View Post
I’m really looking forward to Thom Bresh’s upcoming course on TrueFire. AFAIK, Brush has only published one course: a DVD entitled “Like Father, Like Son” available from Homespun.

Bresh is Merle Travis’ son. For anyone hoping to get the Travis sound down, this is as close as you will ever get.

The course is coming some time in the first quarter of 2019, and the promotions have been appearing on his channels and on Truefire’s.
Bresh is an incredible player. He's probably the only guy who wasn't intimidated by Tommy Emmanuel sitting in the front row at one of his concerts. I watched a video where this happened and Thom invited Emmanuel onstage to play a song with him. Bresh picked circles around Tommy. His daddy taught him well.
Old 12-10-2018, 10:11 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveKell View Post
Bresh is an incredible player. He's probably the only guy who wasn't intimidated by Tommy Emmanuel sitting in the front row at one of his concerts. I watched a video where this happened and Thom invited Emmanuel onstage to play a song with him. Bresh picked circles around Tommy. His daddy taught him well.
Wow, that's saying something else, indeed, TE is about as good as they come, it seems. I will have to check into this, need to learn it!
Old 12-10-2018, 08:30 PM

Bresh is an... interesting guy. We have a mutual friend so I got to spend some time with Thom at a couple of Nashville Namm shows and saw him perform several times. An incredible player and entertainer. Years ago I saw him and Tommy "compete" at one of Muriel Anderson's All Star Guitar Nights. It was a treat!

My favorite Bresh experience took place at Scott Chinery's house at the Blue Guitar Party. I was one of Scott's guests, as was the mutual friend who brought Bresh. Bresh, being Bresh, brought a guitar and while he wasn't scheduled to play, got a slot on the main stage during dinner. Minutes before, I was on the buffet line with Steve Howe (really nice guy). He sat down to eat and soon Bresh started to play. Mr. Howe looked up, put his food down and turned to watch and listen to Bresh. He was VERY impressed!
Old 12-11-2018, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidE View Post
Bresh is an... interesting guy. We have a mutual friend so I got to spend some time with Thom at a couple of Nashville Namm shows and saw him perform several times. An incredible player and entertainer. Years ago I saw him and Tommy "compete" at one of Muriel Anderson's All Star Guitar Nights. It was a treat!
I have listened to\watched many his productions and that quirkiness definitely sneaks through. I guess that's what you get when you are raised in the movie\TV industry of SoCal and then re-locate to Nashville. He had some close brushes with fame in the 70's and 80's, but was never elevated to "legendary" stature.

Regardless, I love his music. Several months ago, I picked up some of his concerts that he recorded with Buster B. Jones - now that must have been one interesting couple!

Last edited by srick; 12-11-2018 at 10:18 AM.
Old 12-11-2018, 09:55 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by srick View Post

Hi srick

I own the Like Father Like Son DVD and it's fun watching Thom talk about his dad's Thumb-n-one finger style, and as he's demonstrating it, fall back into his Thumb-n-three adaptation of his dad's techniques.

Thom is a hoot to watch/listen to.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 12-11-2018, 07:54 PM

Lookee here what I found!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write