The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-11-2018, 08:52 AM

Default Can a Behringer EQ700 serve as a DI?

I have a question about the Behringer EQ700. Has anyone ever used it as a DI for passive pickups like the JJB or K&K? The manual says the input impedance is 0.5 MOhm which is less than the recommended 1 MOhm but I bet would still work. The ADI21 is often recommended as a cheap DI but I'm wondering if the 7 bands of EQ might be more useful.

Thoughts?
Old 12-11-2018, 09:44 AM

Would work as a preamp but not as a DI. A DI sends out balanced signal, which this pedal does not do. A lot of people seem to be using the BOSS eq pedal as a preamp for their K&K pickups, I imagine this pedal is essentially a clone of the boss pedal.

Fingerstyle Guitar ~ Hammered Dulcimer ~ Clawhammer Banjo ~ Diatonic Harmonica ~ Anglo Concertina

Old 12-11-2018, 09:52 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJoker View Post
I have a question about the Behringer EQ700. Has anyone ever used it as a DI for passive pickups like the JJB or K&K? The manual says the input impedance is 0.5 MOhm which is less than the recommended 1 MOhm but I bet would still work. The ADI21 is often recommended as a cheap DI but I'm wondering if the 7 bands of EQ might be more useful.

Thoughts?
HI RJ

I've used EQ pedals (like the Boss GE-7 & MXr 10 band EQ) and they work fine as tone shapers, but when you run a 'raw' piezo under saddle through them, they don't get rid of the quack like a preamplifier does. They just tend to make them quack louder.

Most EQ pedals are intended to be used with electric guitars in a pedal array.

I have used a GE-7 with my K&Ks and my Behringer ADI21, and the latter sounds far better (less self-noise, and more control over the tone plus XLR out and ground lift). Neither will rise to the standards of Raven, DTAR, Grace or other high end preamps, but they will beef up the tone, bring tone shaping to the table, and provide line level, balanced outputs.

While Behringer doesn't specify which frequencies are covered by the Bass-Mid (sweep)-Treble controls on the ADI21, they certainly cover higher frequency spectrum than the 6.5K on the unit you listed (which is about the same as a lot of 7 band guitar pedal EQ units).

The pedal you listed is only $5 cheaper than the ADI21, which adds the Direct Box outs, and ground lift, a legit preamp with input gain and output Volume controls…and it's designed for acoustic guitar.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 12-11-2018, 11:37 AM

Thanks for the info folks!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification