The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-11-2018, 01:35 AM

Default Anyone using just a mic for amplifying guitar?

I have a cheaper gigging acoustic with E system. I’m not sure if I want to put one in my Martin I just bought. I was thinking of trying a Shure 87A super cardioid condenser mic made for stage vocals. I say this because I already use an Audio Technica AE 5400 for my voice . It’s a cardioid condenser handheld for voice, The AT is such a nice mic. In the home studio I’ve used it for recording guitar cabs, and in a pinch, I recorded an acoustic guitar. It did a very good job too. I think the super cardioid pattern, and noise reduction for handheld usage, might make a great stage mic for instruments.
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...ser-microphone
Old 12-11-2018, 02:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR1960 View Post
I have a cheaper gigging acoustic with E system. I’m not sure if I want to put one in my Martin I just bought. I was thinking of trying a Shure 87A super cardioid condenser mic made for stage vocals. I say this because I already use an Audio Technica AE 5400 for my voice . It’s a cardioid condenser handheld for voice, The AT is such a nice mic. In the home studio I’ve used it for recording guitar cabs, and in a pinch, I recorded an acoustic guitar. It did a very good job too. I think the super cardioid pattern, and noise reduction for handheld usage, might make a great stage mic for instruments.
Consider the EV RE510 supercardioid condenser for vocals.

I've used both, and the RE510 is my preference - it's a superb, warm sounding mic with plenty of detail and not harsh at all.

Old 12-11-2018, 03:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jomaynor View Post
Consider the EV RE510 supercardioid condenser for vocals.

I've used both, and the RE510 is my preference - it's a superb, warm sounding mic with plenty of detail and not harsh at all.

Yes, any of them I think might be a good choice on live stage instruments.
Old 12-11-2018, 05:39 AM

I'll preface this by saying I hate the sound of plugged in guitars. Tried various pickups with various DIs, never liked any of them. Been to hundreds, of shows since the advent of pickups and have never heard a plugged-in acoustic (that's a contradiction of terms) that didn't sound like crap.

With that out of the way, here is what I have paired it down to:

Solo - a single inexpensive MXL Ribbon. I tightened the ribbon and ripped out the extra headbasket material. Truly amazed as to how good this cheap mic sounds in a live situation.

Duo - a single AT 4050 in cardiod.

Trio and up - a mix of dynamics and/or condensers depending on the venue reflections and instruments. In difficult venues I stick to dynamics - Blue Encore 100 and 100i (2 each) and Sennheiser e945 on my vocal. When I can, I use a mix of the 4050 (sometimes alone), a pair older made in USA SM 81s, and/or a pair of highly modded MXL SDCs.

I know my mics well by now and if I can do my own sound I can get things dialed in nicely. Relying on venue soundmen can be a crapshoot.
Old 12-11-2018, 08:23 AM

Hmm Whenever possible i use an shure sm81.
Sometimes i blend in my pickup.
Mostly the gigs i play i use a pickup only.
But i play alot of noisey breweries.
But whenever its quiet enough its the sm81.
Sounds wonderful.
Old 12-11-2018, 08:41 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by varmonter View Post
Hmm Whenever possible i use an shure sm81.
Sometimes i blend in my pickup.
Mostly the gigs i play i use a pickup only.
But i play alot of noisey breweries.
But whenever its quiet enough its the sm81.
Sounds wonderful.
That's the key right there. Played a brewery two nights ago; never coulda done it with a mic. We're not always in pristine sonic environments, with the mains exactly where we want them, with a dedicated, competent soundman, a pre-show sound check and an attentive audience. When it's throw-and-go, gotta go with what works where ya gotta make it work.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification