The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-03-2018, 07:08 AM

Default Zoom AC-2 Acoustic Creator users?

Anyone using one of these and have any opinions?

I picked up a used LR Baggs Venue from Guitar Center. It sounds pretty good on the 9v battery, but will just not tolerate an A/C adapter. It hums. I've tried it in various venues with various power supplies and the ground lift on/off. Nothing helps.

So, I'm deciding whether to just keep it and stock up on 9v's or trade it out for a used Zoom AC-2 Acoustic Creator they also have sitting there. I may take it for a test ride this week since Guitar Center has a very robust return policy, but just wanted to see if anyone had any thoughts on it. I'm thinking that since it has a selector knob for the source guitar, but not a "target" guitar knob, it's perhaps not necessarily a modeler, but may have custom eq/compression profiles based on the source guitar setting. I'd be using with a Taylor 812ce with ES2 and am looking for simplicity, but do not want any modeling/imaging etc..
Old 12-04-2018, 07:15 AM

And the verdict is in.

No one uses these!

May give one a trial run and if so will post my thoughts.
Old 12-04-2018, 01:11 PM

Let me help out in the smallest way I can, which looks more than anyone else has. Lol.
I have two, the A2 and the A3. For the price, I can’t imagine doing any better than what you get from them. Assuming they’re using somewhat the same technology in the AC-2.
If you want cheap, easy and better than good sound from your acoustic, I recommend anything Zoom.
Old 12-05-2018, 07:33 AM

I checked the search and found that Matt McGriff got an AC-2 and commented on it in this thread:

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...ight=Zoom+AC-2

I have a Zoom A3 which I like very much because it allows me to run a six band graphic EQ and a two band parametric EQ in series when needed. In addition to that, it also has a basic three band EQ for "quick and dirty" adjustments at the gig. I've also made plenty of use of the A3's two channels to blend two signal sources. The A3's modeling is pretty subtle. I haven't used it very much, and I suspect it may actually clash somewhat with soundboard pickups and other top-sensitive pickups.

The biggest complaint about the A3 was that its very complicated and has a steep learning curve. Reading about the AC-2 and AC-3, I've gotten the impression that Zoom has responded to the A3 criticisms by making the AC-2 and AC-3 rather simple and user friendly.

Last edited by guitaniac; 12-05-2018 at 07:38 AM.
Old 12-05-2018, 08:47 AM

Thanks guys! Those comments referenced were pretty negative and may explain why the box seems to have little interest around here.

I think I may just stick with the Baggs Venue. Even if I have to run on batteries, it touts up to 40hrs on a single 9V so I can pick up an 8 pack at Costco and be good to go for a long time.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification