The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-22-2018, 08:46 AM

Default Update: Martin OMCPA1 Replaced electronics with KK

I finally got up the nerve to have the electronics in a newer Martin OMCPA1 I acquired a while back, removed and had KK passive pickups installed in it's place. (Marty Reynolds, here in Mpls/St. Paul does a wonderful job for all my guitar needs!) -I just didn't "warm-up" to Martins "on-board" pickup system. Well, I knew going in this would be a bit of an experiment. The original pickup system is saved and could be re-installed in the future if desired) Marty ripped out the whole system. Battery compartment, pickup/electronics, dials Everything! He even made it the modification nice looking! Happy to report I like this setup about a million times better! Much better "natural" tone. Martins system, no matter how hard I tried, always ended up sounding a little more "processed" or "synthesized" This guitar is different than my other Martins. It's almost "half Martin, half Taylor" in nature to me. Now my main gear layout is any one of 5 Martins, each with passive KK pickups. Then off to a Grace Alix DI Box which is REALLY nice (tons of smooth "headroom") then, Strymon reverb machine into an AER/60 amp. Marty put on a round-core set of strings on the guitar which I have never used before (Martin flex-core, I think the name) Odd, he said not to stretch them when first installing) I think he put those strings on as I had commented to him that Martins new Authentic strings seemed a tick stiffer that the 4100 SP strings I was used to.
Old 11-22-2018, 09:04 AM
Charter Member

The K&K is such a step up from were we were 20 years ago, even compared to some of the new tech. Sometimes low tech rules. Glad it worked out for ya, and the OMCPA1 I tried was a great sounding acoustic.

Back in 2010 I had a D16 with a fishMan matrix blend barn door set up. My guitar tech at the time was also an electronics expert. He disconnected the UST, added a capacitor and/or a resistor (don’t remember exactly what he did) so the system was compatible with the K&K mini, while still being able to dial in the fishman mic. It sounded great.

Have not met a tech who has been willing (or knowledgeable enough) to do that since.
These day I just go with the K&K mic and mini
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification