The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-20-2018, 04:02 PM

Default Highlander, Headway

Anyone have experience with either Headway or Highlander pickups? I'm outfitting my Guild OM and wondering how these compare to the Seymour Duncan Wavelength. They all seem to be similar in their design and I really like the Wavelength.

Also, anyone have an opinion if the technique of routing the saddle slot bottom makes a significant different, as in the case of the Highlander installation?

Thanks
Old 11-20-2018, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rb1591 View Post
Anyone have experience with either Headway or Highlander pickups? I'm outfitting my Guild OM and wondering how these compare to the Seymour Duncan Wavelength. They all seem to be similar in their design and I really like the Wavelength.

Also, anyone have an opinion if the technique of routing the saddle slot bottom makes a significant different, as in the case of the Highlander installation?

Thanks
I have a Headway pickup in my Octave Mandolin and it sounds amazing. Easily the biggest sounding pickup I have tried. The downside is that the bridge needs to be routed out in order to take the pickup so that's something to consider.
Old 11-20-2018, 11:51 PM

I've used the Highlander, Headway, DTAR Timberline and Fishman Sonicore co-axial pickups. I like the Wavelength UST system better, and I like David Enke's "Open To Source Sensors" UST the best of all. The latter UST is pricey, but its very thin and flat, and its more top responsive than any of the co-axial pickups used in combination with a routed saddle slot.
Old 11-21-2018, 02:22 AM

I use a Headway in my small jumbo which I believes uses the same coaxial cable as Highlander but without the need for the install jig and only using one 9 volt.

I like it a lot and have often had compliments about the sound. I traditionally have used it through a Headway preamp though now use it with the Tonedexter (but won’t go into that here).
Martin J40
Old 11-21-2018, 03:45 PM

Dtar Wavelength works great in my lakewood om, pickups come and go so i don't think i would go with a pickup where you have to route out the saddle slot.
Only my opinion
Rob

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification