The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-15-2018, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by takatsukimike View Post
I personally think the Yamaha MG series are better value at a similar price point. Look at the MG10XU perhaps?

Pros: Inbuilt compression, wider range of effects
Cons: No sweepable mids on the EQ
I'm not sure how that's a better value. A board without mid sweeps is an absolute deal breaker for me. On an acoustic gig, pretty much EVERYTHING lies within the mids. Being able to pick the frequency you're cutting is incredibly useful.

As far as having a wider range of FX, most cats find one or two decent reverbs or verb/delay combinations and rock with those. I don't need auto wah or "radio voice." The Lexicon FX on the Soundcraft are fantastic, and you can tweak the parameters.

Compression, is nice but if I had to choose between that and mid sweeps, it's no contest. Don't get me wrong, those Yamaha boards sound nice, I just wouldn't call them a better value.

The MG16XU is the smallest board I'd buy, because it has mid sweeps and 4 aux's, but now we're in the $500 range. I'd get a used MixWiz for that price if I didn't already own one.

Yamaha
MG10XU: 4 XLRs. $199
MG12XU: 6 XLRs $329

Soundcraft:
EFX8 8 XLRs $368
EFX12: 12 XLRs $432

To the OP: FWIW, I purchased a used (mint condition) EFX8 for $250 shipped & paypal'd on reverb

Last edited by The Kid!; 11-15-2018 at 10:56 PM.
Old 11-20-2018, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringmaster View Post
Thanks--that's the one I'm gonna go for!
FWIW: I found a mint condition used one for $250 shipped!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification