The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-19-2018, 12:07 PM

Default Help using Fishman pro platinum EQ and Baggs Di

Hello all and thank you in advance for your advice.
I am having some trouble figuring out of the signal chain on my board and i'm hoping to get some advice on your thoughts. I want to preserve the tone my Taylor custom GC (walnut b/s, cedar top, maple neck and bindings) and i have used and loved the Baggs for many years. I have been using the Baggs DI for years and usually have run everything through the fx loop. However, i just bought the fishman pro eq because of the compressor built in, boost, but mainly for the increased mid range control. I just can't figure out the chain. Should i go out of my ES2 on my guitar still into the baggs input, then put the fishman as first in the chain in the loop followed by the reverb and looper, then out the Baggs to the PA? Or should i go from my ES2 in my guitar direct into the fishman, then into the Baggs. Should i put the tuner before the baggs or fishman since i use it as a mute primarily... etc. COuld really use your thoughts on that.

The Board- reverb pedal | Looper | Tuner | Fishman pro Platinum eq | Baggs para acoustic DI.
Old 11-19-2018, 12:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ineedanswers View Post
Hello all and thank you in advance for your advice.
I am having some trouble figuring out of the signal chain on my board and i'm hoping to get some advice on your thoughts. I want to preserve the tone my Taylor custom GC (walnut b/s, cedar top, maple neck and bindings) and i have used and loved the Baggs for many years. I have been using the Baggs DI for years and usually have run everything through the fx loop. However, i just bought the fishman pro eq because of the compressor built in, boost, but mainly for the increased mid range control. I just can't figure out the chain. Should i go out of my ES2 on my guitar still into the baggs input, then put the fishman as first in the chain in the loop followed by the reverb and looper, then out the Baggs to the PA? Or should i go from my ES2 in my guitar direct into the fishman, then into the Baggs. Should i put the tuner before the baggs or fishman since i use it as a mute primarily... etc. COuld really use your thoughts on that.

The Board- reverb pedal | Looper | Tuner | Fishman pro Platinum eq | Baggs para acoustic DI.
Hi Ina

If I had the Fishman, I'd not feel the need for the ParaDI. More isn't always better…they cover the same territory. And the Fishman has a parallel-to-the-ground XLR output (rather than stick-up-in-the-air). The Fishman also has adjustable-level-boost and a tuner (not that good a tuner), though the tuner makes a great Mute Switch.

And I'm thinking the Fishman would be the last item in the chain (then to the board/amp).

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 11-19-2018, 12:28 PM

How many gain stages do you want to manage? I’d use one or the other but not both. Your setup as proposed has preamp at guitar, at the reverb pedal, at the looper, at the Fishman, at the Baggs, and at the input of whatever amp/PA you use.
Old 11-19-2018, 03:46 PM

You may as well drop the Baggs from the chain. The Fishman will do everything the Baggs was doing + a little more with the boost, compression and tuner.

Gibson Songwriter Standard EC
Lowden WL-22
Maton SRS808
Taylor AD11-SB
Taylor 811 GT
Taylor Big Baby Walnut
Old 11-19-2018, 06:45 PM

My issue is that i really like the tone that the baggs di gives my guitar through the p.a. This is why i’d still want to use that.
Old 11-19-2018, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ineedanswers View Post
My issue is that i really like the tone that the baggs di gives my guitar through the p.a. This is why i’d still want to use that.
Give yourself a chance with just the Fishman and you might find you like what it does even better than the Baggs. You have to give your ears time to adjust to different setups.
Old 11-19-2018, 08:38 PM

Nobody is saying you can't do it. You do what you please. There is the law of diminishing returns. You are duplicating functionality with the gear you are using. In the grand scheme of things, all that gear is not helping. You have two mute switches, two EQ sections, two tuners and who knows what else. I would go Platinum Pro with the reverb and looper through the effects loop and call it good. But that's me. I would figure out what you like about the tone of the Para DI and try to mimic that with the EQ controls on the Fishman the best you can. All preamps do sound a little different for sure for various reasons but in reality in gigs, all the extra gear will get in the way.
Oregon Duck Fan
Guitars by: Collings, Bourgeois, Taylor
Pickups by: Dazzo
Preamps by: Sunnaudio
Amps by: Bose (S1)
Grateful

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Tags
baggs, fishman eq, pedal, taylor