The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-04-2018, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmed Life Picks View Post
Perch, I have access to her savings acct. Good idea.

On a more serious note, bopping between various gigs and open mics I'd probably lose the thing in a week. The only reason I play expensive picks is I get 'em wholesale.

Thanks,
Scott
I think I'll go to the same open mic and hope that you drop a pick.
I have the Behringer preamp, and I'm going to dig it out for the first time to practice with my new Yamaha THR5A practice amp.
Cordoba SM-CE Mini Classical Acoustic
Ibanez Blazer 21 MIJ Stratocaster

2 Yamaha PSR-SX900 keyboards I play professionally
Roland FP-90 digital piano I play for pleasure with piano VSTs.
Old 10-04-2018, 07:50 AM

Reporting back after first performance - Radial SB-4 worked great. We used it on my JJB 330, my Guild which already has a preamp and UST, and another guy's UST. Sounded great, no fuss no muss. No batteries. Just engage the bass cut and leave it on forever with the JJB and you'll be good to go.
Old 10-04-2018, 08:43 AM

When I used my Behringer ADI21 with my Yamaha THR5A, I got distortion when I turned up the blend knob even with the blend knob of the THR5A turned all the way down. When I turned the blend knob all the way down on the ADI21, I got no distortion, but even with the volume all the way up, there was just a slight lift in volume, but I noticed no difference in sound.

I'll have to try the Behringer out on a regular amplifier or PA.
Cordoba SM-CE Mini Classical Acoustic
Ibanez Blazer 21 MIJ Stratocaster

2 Yamaha PSR-SX900 keyboards I play professionally
Roland FP-90 digital piano I play for pleasure with piano VSTs.
Old 10-05-2018, 09:51 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakybird View Post
When I used my Behringer ADI21 with my Yamaha THR5A, I got distortion when I turned up the blend knob even with the blend knob of the THR5A turned all the way down. When I turned the blend knob all the way down on the ADI21, I got no distortion, but even with the volume all the way up, there was just a slight lift in volume, but I noticed no difference in sound.

I'll have to try the Behringer out on a regular amplifier or PA.
Hi B-bird
You didn't give us enough info to help diagnose what's happening. It's often a part of the process to figure out/trouble shoot new gear. Glad you are doing it before the gig…

Try replacing the battery first in the Behringer (if you were running on battery power). And the amp if running on batteries (or even powered by adapter) is no power-house either (with 3" speakers).

Start everything with low volume and build up. The Behringer ADI21 blend knob simply determines how much of the settings get added to the preamplifier signal. All the way up on the Blend, you are running the preamp with all the tone settings applied. The foot switch adds the tone settings to the preamp signal. The "Level" knob is output volume on the ADi21.

Gain staging…
You have volume controls in at least 3 places with your rig[/I]. Input to the preamp, output from the preamp, input of the amp (channel) itself, and probably a master volume out on the amp.

"Level" on the preamp is the master output level, and Blend is only engaged by the foot switch.

If you overdrive the Level you can overdrive/distort the input channel of the amp. If you have the input of the amp too loud you will distort the input sound from the preamp. If you have the Master channel on the amp too high it can distort.

If you overdrive any frequency range too much it can distort.

So you need to back off and then re-apply the settings a bit at a time. I'm not sure you'll be able to appreciate changes through a pair of 3" speakers on a hybrid amp.

Have fun experimenting…

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification