The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 09-25-2018, 01:16 PM

Default M-AUDIO Studiophile bx5

Can you plug an acoustic guitar into a M-AUDIO Studiophile bx5? I inherited two of these and I'm not sure what to do with them.
Old 09-25-2018, 02:04 PM

It's expecting line level - you'll need some sort of preamp.
Old 09-25-2018, 03:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duh View Post
Can you plug an acoustic guitar into a M-AUDIO Studiophile bx5? I inherited two of these and I'm not sure what to do with them.
You can use them as external powered computer speakers with appropriate cabling.
Old 09-25-2018, 10:40 PM

I recently tried this with my bx8s. Guild w/Lyric > Zed 10fx > monitors. Sounded very good.
Old 09-26-2018, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenL View Post
I recently tried this with my bx8s. Guild w/Lyric > Zed 10fx > monitors. Sounded very good.
The Zed mixer is acting as the preamp in your set up. You can't just plug a guitar direct into the speakers.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 09-26-2018, 01:46 PM

Okay. I think I got this. So, a friend gave me a analog mixer. So, I figure out how to plug my guitar into that and then, with the right cables, line level, plug those into the Bx5's and it should work. Now, I also have a archangel preamp, but something tells me that that won't work. Of course, I'll need to get the plugin cables for the Bx5s. Am I right so far? Remember, my name is Duh.
Old 09-26-2018, 01:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duh View Post
Okay. I think I got this. So, a friend gave me a analog mixer. So, I figure out how to plug my guitar into that and then, with the right cables, line level, plug those into the Bx5's and it should work. Now, I also have a archangel preamp, but something tells me that that won't work. Of course, I'll need to get the plugin cables for the Bx5s. Am I right so far? Remember, my name is Duh.
You may need the Archangel preamp, or you may not need it. It depends on two things, (i) whether you acoustic guitar pickup is passive or active and (ii) the type(s) of input jacks available on the mixer. If the mixer is a stereo mixer it will have two output jacks (usually XLR) that will be connected to the inputs of the speakers.
Old 09-26-2018, 11:31 PM

Boy, do I have a big learning curve here. I really haven't played in years, and even then, I wasn't a techie. I think for the moment, I'll set these BX5s aside until I'm ready to buy a focusrite and hook these up to my computer, which will take a lot of learning, since, I don't know how to use a focusrite or use garageband or, pretty much anything. I think instead, for the moment, I'll pull out the Peavey XR 6000, buy a Shure SM58 because, well, I think I lent two of them to a friend and never got them back, use the sm58 as a mic and plug that into the Peavey, pull out the Seymour Duncan woody, plug that into the archangel and then into the Mesa Boogie which has been collecting dust in the corner, and then, pull out the Schertler DYN-G, (recently bought at a steal but it's the older one) and experiment with that one, trying it out with the Mesa and then the Peavey, likely getting the Electro-Harmonix Switchblade+ and something to plug two of the pickups into something before it goes to the Switchblade. Experiment around. By the way, why hasn't anybody done any videos or posts about using duel amps? Here's the only one I could find: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikzvDAvWmLA
Old 09-27-2018, 06:30 AM

Duel amps are often used for electric guitar work - to get two distinct tones at once, then the combination of tones being the end result. For recording, some electric guitarists will use a bank of different amps, miking each one separately so that in the mixing stage, they can put together what they want.
For acoustic work … most players want a good acoustic tone, and strive to get that from one source, rather than trying to combine 2 sources (one for lows, one for highs, as an example).

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 09-28-2018, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenL View Post
Okay. Now that I've digested what you were trying to tell me. I might be able to use the Tascam Portastudio 424mkIII and then use the Bx5s. If so, all I have to do is drop by GuitarCenter and ask for the appropriate cables. Did I get that right? Or, is the Tascam fundamentally different than the Zed?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification