The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 07-27-2009, 04:18 AM

Default K&K Pure + Pre-phase

Pretty new, but it seems like a great addition to the Pure Western.
Anyone have it yet?

http://www.kksound.com/pureprephase.html
Old 07-27-2009, 09:15 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benplaut View Post
Pretty new, but it seems like a great addition to the Pure Western.
Anyone have it yet?

http://www.kksound.com/pureprephase.html
Hi Ben...
All my main preamps have a phase switch, and I still prefer external preamps to internal...more options, and easier to diagnose & ''fix'' if something goes awry with the rig.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 07-27-2009, 09:40 AM

I wonder if I can change the phase with the Trinity Mini system I plan to buy...
Old 07-27-2009, 01:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tochiro View Post
I wonder if I can change the phase with the Trinity Mini system I plan to buy...
Hi tochiro...
If it is the belt pack no, if it is internal, I don't know.

The only times I've needed a phase switch is on my dual source mic when I put the feedback suppressor in. For some reason it affects the tone of the mic and if I reverse phase on it, it sounds the same as without the suppressor.

Since I only have needed the feedback buster three times in the past 4 years, it has not been a big issue, and my main two external preamp blenders (the DTAR Solscitce and the Raven PMBs) both have phase reverse.

Never have needed it with my K&K Pure Western Minis...only the mic.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 07-27-2009, 04:36 PM
Charter Member

Carry a guitar cable with reverse wiring. It's a bit of a chore to swap it out, but it will do the same thing as a reverse polarity switch.
Old 07-27-2009, 05:21 PM

While its true that many outboard preamps include a phase inversion switch, I see two other possible advantages (over running the signal passively to an outboard preamp) for employing this little onboard preamp. #1) It avoids the signal loss and deterioration which occurs (with a passive system) in the length of cable between the guitar jack and an outboard preamp. #2) It assures that the input impedance of the initial gain stage will be the K&K recommended value (around 1Mohm, as opposed to the typically much higher input impedance of a non-K&K outboard preamp). The lower input impedance may well be helpful to those who have a problem with excessive bassiness from their guitar/K&K pickup rigs.

In my own case, I feel that I get better results with preamping close to the jack (with a 1' cable to a little preamp which is velcroed to the guitar) than with running the passive mini-Pure signal thru a 10' cable to an outboard preamp. (That's despite the fact that I'm using a high quality, low impedance 10' Elixir cable.)

Gary
Old 07-27-2009, 06:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitaniac View Post
While its true that many outboard preamps include a phase inversion switch, I see two other possible advantages (over running the signal passively to an outboard preamp) for employing this little onboard preamp. #1) It avoids the signal loss and deterioration which occurs (with a passive system) in the length of cable between the guitar jack and an outboard preamp. #2) It assures that the input impedance of the initial gain stage will be the K&K recommended value (around 1Mohm, as opposed to the typically much higher input impedance of a non-K&K outboard preamp). The lower input impedance may well be helpful to those who have a problem with excessive bassiness from their guitar/K&K pickup rigs.

In my own case, I feel that I get better results with preamping close to the jack (with a 1' cable to a little preamp which is velcroed to the guitar) than with running the passive mini-Pure signal thru a 10' cable to an outboard preamp. (That's despite the fact that I'm using a high quality, low impedance 10' Elixir cable.)

Gary
Good points, as usual.

Like any passive pickup, the K&K mini's signal degrades as it travels down a cable until it reaches the first gain stage/impedance converter.

K&K has had a basic internal preamp available for the K&K pickups for about 10 years (i.e., simple fixed gain and impedance conversion - nothing more). I got one for a K&K Standard about 8 years ago. I still have it. Dieter said it was the same circuit he uses to bench test pickups, pickup designs, etc. The new release (with a volume control and polarity reversal switch) looks the same (i.e., the preamp portion).

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification