The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-23-2019, 01:40 PM

Default Getting into loopers? Help!

Hi there
My gigging experience is completely Church based. I accompany the songs at Messy Church with my guitar. I am not a religious person but my neighbour is and asked me to fulfil this roll. I basically play through my Marshall amp and the Church PA system and for strumming along to songs its fine. There is a guy there who sets up the sound and I just play and sing and the youngsters join in. I am a complete novice when it comes to the electronics side of performing. I have a Shure Mic and the amp is set up with a little reverb and chorus. I thought it was time to look into some more effects to add some colour to the experience. I was thinking I would start with a looper pedal and then investigate backing tracks et al. So can anyone suggest a good looper pedal for an effects novice? Would really appreciate some guidance and in layman's terms so to speak as i really don't speak the Tech lingo.
D45 Replica in open D
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Telecaster
Marshall AS50D Amp.
Line 6 Amplifi 30
Blackstar HT1R Tube Amp
DigiTech JamMan Stereo Looper Pedal
Old 03-23-2019, 02:42 PM

I have the Boss RC-3 and it's awesome! It is pretty easy to use and doesn't break the bank (I got mine for under $100).
Epiphone Sheraton 2 Pro
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Fender Stratocaster MIM w/ noiseless pickups
Old 03-23-2019, 02:45 PM

If you want to try a simple looper, I recommend the Boss RC-1. Nice simple pedal that has a visual representation of where you are in the loop in the form of a small ring of lights that count down the loop. Stomp and play, stomp again and you are overdubbing. The double stomp to stop is a pain, but you get used to it - or you can add an extra foot switch like I do for a one-stomp stop.

If you want more features, there are others - but for a simple no-nonsense looper that works, for under a hundred bucks it can’t be beat.

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany
La Michoacana Classical (my Dad's guitar)
Beat to heck Seagull S6
Ovation Celebrity 12 string
Fender CD 60 dread that lives in Greece
Harmonicas in a Farmer rack
Old 03-23-2019, 03:01 PM

Another cheaper alternative to consider is the Digitech Jamman Solo XT. Price wise you'll fine it in between the Boss RC1 and RC3 (brand new of course). It packs a lot of nice features in it at that price.
Old 03-23-2019, 03:34 PM

Many thanks for your suggestions. Boss and Digitech came up on a search i did so looks like this could be a quick fix. Do they tend to come with the appropriate leads and instructions or is that another purchase?
D45 Replica in open D
Marshall AS50D Amp.
Line 6 Amplifi 30
Blackstar HT1R Tube Amp
Old 03-23-2019, 03:38 PM

Instructions yes, leads no you need your own. Another thing to note is the Digitech comes with a 9V power supply while the boss units do not.
Old 03-23-2019, 03:48 PM

All useful info many thanks again. So far it would appear to be one of the Boss pedals or the Digitech.
D45 Replica in open D
Marshall AS50D Amp.
Line 6 Amplifi 30
Blackstar HT1R Tube Amp
Old 03-23-2019, 07:13 PM
Charter Member

I had the Boss RC-3 and it's a good Looper but it's a single pedal for looping and stopping, which means a double stomp to stop the loop. For simplicity, I would recommend a pedal with dedicated looping switch and a dedicated stop switch.
I use the Electro Harmonic 720 looper, it's easy to use, and it has 10 places to store loops.
There is also the Ditto X2 Looper with 2 switches.
Hope this helps.

Last edited by jricc; 03-24-2019 at 12:22 PM.
Old 03-23-2019, 08:04 PM

I don’t think anything beats the Ditto X2 looper for ease and simplicity.
Old 03-23-2019, 09:26 PM

I use two loopers at different times. My main one is the Ditto x2 and that second button is a godsend. Perfect for simple rhythm overdubs and such.

I also have the Boss RC1 with a homemade footswitch, for my busking smaller setup. The switch is a big thing for said two button operation. Much harder to use without that in a live situation.

If you're going fancier or really long loops/overdubs a more intricate machine may be needed but I don't go there.

Kris
Old 03-23-2019, 09:53 PM

I use the RC-1 with a secondary home brew foot switch.

Old 03-24-2019, 01:03 AM

Default Getting into loopers? Help!

I also lead our worship music in two churches every week and indeed Messy Church for the last 8 years . Must confess I use Worship Pads ( drone backing tracks) for Church Worship during reflective times but using a looper for Messy Church , never . With Messy Church we just love to get all the children singing and joining in with home made and small percussion instruments etc . Due to the hectic nature of the sessions 60 - 80
Children I would find a looper another issue I didn’t need . Loopers aren’t as easy as they look and need a lot of practice . Good luck with Messy Church . Just a thought why don’t you ask to play some fingerstyle pieces during communion if you don’t already , one of my favourite playing environments . Please don’t think I’m knocking your idea but from experience it would be a difficult one in practice .
Yamaha SLG200S
Yamaha NTX1200R
Taylor GSMiniE Rosewood
Joe Brown Uke
AER Compact 60
Marshall AS50D

Now 100% Acoustic and loving it ! No more GAS

Last edited by 51 Relic; 03-24-2019 at 01:09 AM.
Old 03-24-2019, 01:07 AM

Just another thought if you have access to Apple Music type in Worship Pads and there a quite a few to choose from in all keys and can be downloaded as required . I use them on my iPad into the mic channel on my AER amp as a drone backing for fingerstyle arrangements
Yamaha SLG200S
Yamaha NTX1200R
Taylor GSMiniE Rosewood
Joe Brown Uke
AER Compact 60
Marshall AS50D

Now 100% Acoustic and loving it ! No more GAS
Old 03-24-2019, 01:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paultergeist View Post
I don’t think anything beats the Ditto X2 looper for ease and simplicity.

That’s also my experience. Also the smaller Ditto looper is very simple to use and ships for around 70 £ (don’t know any US prices). But having a second foot switch as with the X2 is definitely easier.
Old 03-24-2019, 04:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51 Relic View Post
I also lead our worship music in two churches every week and indeed Messy Church for the last 8 years . Must confess I use Worship Pads ( drone backing tracks) for Church Worship during reflective times but using a looper for Messy Church , never . With Messy Church we just love to get all the children singing and joining in with home made and small percussion instruments etc . Due to the hectic nature of the sessions 60 - 80
Children I would find a looper another issue I didn’t need . Loopers aren’t as easy as they look and need a lot of practice . Good luck with Messy Church . Just a thought why don’t you ask to play some fingerstyle pieces during communion if you don’t already , one of my favourite playing environments . Please don’t think I’m knocking your idea but from experience it would be a difficult one in practice .
Many thanks for this. As i said in the original post I am a newbie when it comes to the effects side of performing. I tend to like a natural sound anyway but am open to all advice for improving the experience for the listener. In that regard i take your point that for the Church sessions some simple backing track additions would be another good idea. I tend to play some fingerstyle as the folks are coming in at the start. I think the looper will still be a good move for my own practice and experimentation. Thanks for this sage advice.
D45 Replica in open D
Marshall AS50D Amp.
Line 6 Amplifi 30
Blackstar HT1R Tube Amp

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification