The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-22-2019, 11:49 AM

Default QSC K10 outputs. will i blow up my board?

I recently bought a helix stomp and found
it is best used with an frfr speaker direct.
So i want to use the k10 as a monitor
and use the post gain summed out on the
back of the speaker to connect to the touchmix
mixer for foh. Will smoke and fire be the result?
Old 03-22-2019, 12:07 PM

No, looks like it is line level out, so it will go into the Touchmix just fine.

If it was the amplified signal sent to the speaker, then yes you might blow the input channel on the Touchmix.
But that does not appear to be available.

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 03-22-2019, 02:11 PM

Remember if you use the post gain, adjustments to the K10 output level will affect level in the PA. May or may not be what you want. If you don't use both inputs then you can use the direct output immediately below the input. It is the same level as the input.

FYI Just in case.

I am set up to use a CP8 as my FRFR speaker and/or monitor as needed. Works fine.

hunter
Old 03-23-2019, 06:26 AM

Thanks I tried it last night at a gig.
results were less than satisfactory
Old 03-23-2019, 09:17 AM

Well blowing up and less than satisfactory are two different angles on the question. Unless your Touchmix has an input pad switch it is probably set up for mic level. Line level is going to be very hot. You either have to dial the input gain on the touchmix way down, or dial your QSC output way down if you are coming off the post gain output. I recall when the dials are straight up the OSC output is line level.

Also, the K can take mic or line level inputs in input A depending on how the switch is set. Line level only in input B. Not too familiar with the Helix but if an guitar level output, then the line level input may be lacking in gain needed to get the output without really cranking speaker gain. Mic level OTOH will be a little touchy with a little more gain than you need. This is a balancing act and depends on specifics of Helix output and need tor monitor volume. And if you really need both a and b inputs on the QSC mic level is not an option.

The best solution is probably to provide an after touchmix feed to the QSC. That way you are dealing with line level all the way. Not sure what output and aux buss options you have but I would expect a lot with that box. I know on my Signature 12 I can feed the guitar signal in and out to both Group 1 and master mixes. Allowing me to control QSC monitor speaker level from the Group fader and guitar the house with the Master fader. As an example.

hunter
Old 03-23-2019, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhunter View Post
Well blowing up and less than satisfactory are two different angles on the question. Unless your Touchmix has an input pad switch it is probably set up for mic level. Line level is going to be very hot. You either have to dial the input gain on the touchmix way down, or dial your QSC output way down if you are coming off the post gain output. I recall when the dials are straight up the OSC output is line level.

Also, the K can take mic or line level inputs in input A depending on how the switch is set. Line level only in input B. Not too familiar with the Helix but if an guitar level output, then the line level input may be lacking in gain needed to get the output without really cranking speaker gain. Mic level OTOH will be a little touchy with a little more gain than you need. This is a balancing act and depends on specifics of Helix output and need tor monitor volume. And if you really need both a and b inputs on the QSC mic level is not an option.

The best solution is probably to provide an after touchmix feed to the QSC. That way you are dealing with line level all the way. Not sure what output and aux buss options you have but I would expect a lot with that box. I know on my Signature 12 I can feed the guitar signal in and out to both Group 1 and master mixes. Allowing me to control QSC monitor speaker level from the Group fader and guitar the house with the Master fader. As an example.

hunter
Well it was just the opposite. I had trouble
hearing it all night. This setup sounded great
in my bedroom. At the gig my guitar was lost.

ughh!!
Old 03-23-2019, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by varmonter View Post

ughh!!
The TouchMix should have 6 Aux sends. I’d run into the TouchMix and send the aux for your guitar to one of the QSC speaker inputs and you can even send another aux for the vocals or band mix to the other speaker input. Adjust the input sensitivity on the back of the speaker for best gain before clipping and the aux send to taste.
1983 Washburn Timber Ridge Custom
- Fishman Onboard Prefix Premium Blend & - Schatten HFN passive
2016 Gibson J-45 Standard
- Fishman Onboard Prefix Premium Blend & - Schatten HFN passive backup
Tonedexter & Sunnaudio Stage DI
1990 Yamaha FS-310

Past:
1995 Martin D-28
2015 Eastman E10SS
Old 03-23-2019, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by varmonter View Post

ughh!!
You mean you couldn't turn it up enough to hear it? Not sure what the problem is. Use QSCs as monitors down stream of the mixer all the time. Hearing is never a problem. When using my CP8 as a FRFR, I find I get more output at lower speaker dial levels if I use the mic input setting on the B channel. Plenty loud. I mean plenty. Have to be careful not to blow the room down.

If the problem is EQ? Back to the drawing board with the Helix I'd say. My DI setup is well adjusted and tested to produce good results in a live setting and I am used to how living room results translate on to the bandstand. You may need to adjust.

hunter
Old 03-23-2019, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhunter View Post
You mean you couldn't turn it up enough to hear it? Not sure what the problem is. Use QSCs as monitors down stream of the mixer all the time. Hearing is never a problem. When using my CP8 as a FRFR, I find I get more output at lower speaker dial levels if I use the mic input setting on the B channel. Plenty loud. I mean plenty. Have to be careful not to blow the room down.

If the problem is EQ? Back to the drawing board with the Helix I'd say. My DI setup is well adjusted and tested to produce good results in a live setting and I am used to how living room results translate on to the bandstand. You may need to adjust.

hunter
Yes my preset is suspect. My mandolin preset
and bass preset seemed to work fine. Just my
guitar. On my qsc only the A side is mic/line
The mic setting wouldbcertainly be louder.
and i imagine the post gain out is as well.
I wanted to use the k10 as an frfr for the
helix. Running thru the touchmix first defeats the
whole purpose of what the stomp is designed for.
I could just use our normal monitor setup.
Right... back to the drawing board.

Last edited by varmonter; 03-25-2019 at 07:47 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification